can turtles be happy alone?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dancer

dancer

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 2,974 posts
  • Interests:My zoo..... I also love anything to do with my native american culture, I'm a drum keeper for a women's drum. We sing at powwows,colleges and schools. Teaching all about our culture.I'm also a jingle dancer and womens traditonal buckskin. I also love the outdoors and reading..<br /><br />after being alone for 6 1/2 yrs...I'm now residing in arizona with my fiance' Jeff and his three sons.

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:28 PM

Just wanted everyones opinion. Do you think turtles are happier in pairs or groups?My two res males started getting aggressive with each other.but now that they have a much larger swimming space, they are both doing fine.
My question is for "Valor" my little eastern painted.He lives alone.Do turtles get lonely?Would he be happier with a friend? Or can he live alone just fine? I was thinking maybe when he got older they could maybe all live together..If not maybe I should think of a buddy for him...[^]opinions please....

#2 TurtleLuv

TurtleLuv

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:09 PM

I think they are happier and more active in groups though I am not sure they get lonely.

#3 Irene S

Irene S

Dispenser of Reptomin

• Members Standard
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:20 PM

They're not really pack animals... I'm not sure turtles or reptiles really care if they have company, unless it's edible (think FISH!). [icon_smile.gif

#4 Reggie

Reggie

Starting Member

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:26 PM

Well, I can't prove anything... but seeing my two YBS always sticking together I can hardly imagine they would be as happy on their own.

And Dancer, no offence but is it really an option not to get a buddy for Valor? [icon_smile_wink.gif
You know you *want* one more turtle. We all want one more I guess [icon_smile_big.gif[icon_smile_big.gif[icon_smile_big.gif

#5 BarbReader

BarbReader

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Interests:I own a male cooter, I think he is a river cooter from the donut shapes on his hinges. I got him on December 25, 1959, when I was four years old and he was a hatchling! I love him totally!

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:33 PM

I think this varies species by species. In some species, it varies with the individual. Cooters tend to live in large groups and get very lonely. RES and many painted turtles seem to be perfectly happy in solitude. But individuals in each species may differ from the typical attitude.

#6 Andy's Auto

Andy's Auto

One Defenseless Avatar

• Retired Moderators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:40 PM

Barb nailed it,depending on the species as well as the personality.AS happy go lucky as paints get,you can problably guess he'd like a bud.Email me[:D]

#7 JJ

JJ

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:55 PM

Well... there's always a chance if you introduce a new one, the two won't get along. It happens quite often. If they get along, great! [^]

Cheers,
JJ[;)]

#8 Millam

Millam

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members
  • 1,759 posts
  • Interests:Swing dancing, Video games, movies, Herps, Veterinary Medicine....

Posted 08 October 2003 - 06:15 PM

I still have my speculations about do turtles actually like having other turtles around. Keeping in mind that their brain is only the size of a split pea. It's very easy to rationalize turtles thinking like humans, but in reality they don't. I notice more aggressive behavior when there's more than one turtle in a tank as opposed to when there's just one. I notice some turtles dominating others by pushing them down... as for do they enjoy the company... I don't know. They might like being the dominate turtle however.

I do notice a how species behave differently, but that could just be a behavioural trait. I won't argue that cooters seem more social, because all the cooters I've seen I've noticed this.

I do think that turtle can live alone, but may do better in groups for fitness reasons.

#9 Turtletramp

Turtletramp

~THATS RIGHT~

• Members Standard
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:life is short have fun<br />~Live good~<br />~Laugh Hard~ <br />~Love Harder~

Posted 08 October 2003 - 06:25 PM

Two makes company[:D]

#10 Turtletramp

Turtletramp

~THATS RIGHT~

• Members Standard
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:life is short have fun<br />~Live good~<br />~Laugh Hard~ <br />~Love Harder~

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:16 PM

Are You Happy When You're Alone?[icon_smile_big.gif

#11 BlueWater

BlueWater

Normal Member

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:52gal: 1 RES w/ 2-Parrot Fish
    Fluval4 PLUS
    60Watt Ceramic baskheat
    18inch Reptisun 2.0

20Gal tall: 2 White's TreeFrog

Posted 09 October 2003 - 01:47 AM

I honestly don't think they care...
Thought about getting a bigger tank and roommate for Spartacus, but he takes up enough room alone, plus he just does his own thing all day.

As long as he has his bark and rocks to hump, flutter at, and some feeder fish to chase....

...I honestly think he only really cares about eating,looking for food, begging for food, basking, and trying to hump rocks. I don't think much else goes through his mind.

#12 Bulgarian RES

Bulgarian RES

Normal Member

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, puppies, turtles, rugby, turtles, softball, turtles playing softball, tutrles playing rugby,

Posted 09 October 2003 - 02:24 AM

I disgree that turtles don't care. Sparky gets quite unhappy when we go away on holiday. She lives alone but often hangs out with me (is held, crawls around the couch, floor, feet) and the boys (Alake and Bian) are always ahnging together in their space. I've started seperating them during feeding as Bian eats quicker (consequently, more) than Alake. However, when they are seperated, they tend to be less...playful? More unsure? At any rate, they seem to do better togther.

#13 Reggie

Reggie

Starting Member

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 05:30 AM

Ok, I think itís more like Barbreader said before. It will probably depend on the species, acquired habits, and individual character.
However, I know one thing for sure: it has nothing to do with the size of their brains. Size does not matter! [icon_smile_wink.gif
And that holds true even for brains (e.g. male human brains are on average larger than female onesÖ.)

#14 Millam

Millam

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 06:20 AM

Maybe more primitive brain then.... Don't make me get all technical on how a turtles brain is more primitive just trust me on this one.

Turtles aren't like humans, so we don't know if they even have logic. For all we know they could love being alone. I notice social interactions between turtles, but I do not think they care that the other turtle is around, they just swim on by or use the other turtle as a floation device.

Turtles are not humans, therefore, we cannot rationalize them thinking like humans.

#15 dancer

dancer

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 2,974 posts
  • Interests:My zoo..... I also love anything to do with my native american culture, I'm a drum keeper for a women's drum. We sing at powwows,colleges and schools. Teaching all about our culture.I'm also a jingle dancer and womens traditonal buckskin. I also love the outdoors and reading..<br /><br />after being alone for 6 1/2 yrs...I'm now residing in arizona with my fiance' Jeff and his three sons.

Posted 09 October 2003 - 07:21 AM

Well I know my 2 res males.I keep a close watch on..When they were in the tank together...fights and aggression broke out once in awhile.Since in the pool, everything seems to be ok...I believe res need alot of space....I watch them through the day.many times they are baskig together or just side by side socializing in the turtle way...For the last two weekend I have been away..(leaving on Fri and returning Sun) River has escaped from a large tank and the pool I set up.So I'm wonderig if maybe the aggression didnt break out while gone..Wondering if I shouldn't seperate them when gone.But when they are seperated for a awhile..looks like anxiety breaks out in them....
Its my eastern painted I'm thinking of for a buddy..He seems content alone..but really going to think on this one...[:D]one more painted.....[icon_smile_big.gif

#16 Reggie

Reggie

Starting Member

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 07:25 AM

Millam, you are right. Turtles are not human. And for that we donít know how or what they are thinking.
Sometimes I think my two YBS stick together, even doing things together (playing maybe) But of course thatís *my* interpretation, not theirs
On the other hand Iíve never even tried to separate them but maybe they donít mind being alone. I donít know.

About the brain thing: I hope I did not offend you. At least I didnít mean to.
I just could not resist the tempation, being a neuroscientist myself. Sorry [icon_smile_wink.gif

#17 Millam

Millam

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 09:00 AM

Being a Zoology major and all I find that I might be more knowledgable about some aspects of science. I just didn't want to have to break out the Comparitive anatomy notes and start ranting. heh... no I wasn't offended. Just trying to get my point across [icon_smile_wink.gif

#18 PKohler

PKohler

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 09:18 AM

i think that or the most part they're happier with a small group of their own species- I'm referring specifically to my painteds here.

#19 dancer

dancer

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:07 PM

so Phil any of those easterns for adoption??I live in the Berkshires.don't think I'm all that far from you.....[icon_smile_big.gif

#20 Torticus

Torticus

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 02:01 PM

i think red eared sliders like being in groups. i know we cant rationalize them thinking like humans or acting like us, but every time i go near a bayou and see a turtle, i see another million right next to him! but im not sure. after all im only 13!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users