• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Forever Amber

Forever Amber

New User

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2001 - 02:52 PM

I just "inherited" a african spur-thigh tortoise (she has been mine for about 3 weeks, she is about 1 and 1/2 yrs old)she has only been fed green leafy lettuce and carrots, but I recently found out she can eat alot more than that. I have been trying to get her to eat new things (blueberries, bell pepper, oranges etc..) but she pretty much just sniffs them and eats the green stuff around it. I know it'll take time for her to get used to new foods, but shouldn't she want to try them at least?
Also I have a question about tortoise houses, she lives outside for the most part, but I've been bringing her in lately (cause it has been very cold in San Diego!)what kind of house should she have?
How do you wash a tortoise? What kind of soap do you use? Do you use warm water or cold water?
Sorry.. but I am very new at this, I adore Mikey and I want her to be happy!
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Forever Amber

#2 Marlaina

Marlaina

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2001 - 12:28 AM

Hi Amber,
Because tortoises are vegetarians, people think their diet should be vegetables. Not true. They are grazers and need the fiber and nutrition in grasses and weeds. And keep the fruit to no more than 10% of the diet or thhe gut flora will change and set it up for parasite loads. The tortoise may not eat well because it has been malnourished for a year and a half or harboring parasites. You don't wash them and you're going to need a lot of information to keep this guy thriving. Be sure, when indoors it is not on a slick surface or the legs will eventually bow. Hay on newspaper is good. you might as well get used to this type of indoor thing as it is going to get huge. I'd like to get you in touch with our member that is an expert in sulcattas and will work with you to get this guy set up well, healthy and on a good diet. If interested, email me at marlaina@gctts.org and I'll give you her email address (or you can call her if you prefer)

Marlaina Barr
www.gctts.org
Gulf Coast Turtle& Tortoise Society

#3 Forever Amber

Forever Amber

New User

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2001 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info.. I'll be in touch!!

Forever Amber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users