• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seongbird

seongbird

Starting Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 October 2001 - 08:07 PM

I've been checking chemical levels in my turtle tank along with my fish tank and for some reason the nitrate in the turtle tank is off the chart every time. I do almost 80% water change every week with a fluval 304 in a 20 gal tank 50% filled with water. I have 2 RES maybe 2 months old. (1.5 and 2 inches) Is high nitrate level bad for the turtles? Should I change water more often? what else can I do? ammonia and pH is fine.

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Normal Member

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Staff Sargeant, US Army
    Student (Junior), NSU
    Major: Psychology
    Minor:Biology

Posted 15 October 2001 - 08:16 PM

I have no idea why your tank is so high in nitrates. I dont filter my hatchling tanks, and only change 100% every other week. Stiil, monitored levels are negligible. I do use live plants, anachris and duckweed are good filters. And good turtle food. Also, if you have gravel, take it out. It holds too much waste. Some gravel in small plant pots will house beneficial bacteria, which change nitrates to nitrites. Also, if your growing algae on the sides and bottoms, leave it. Not the stringy stuff, the other type. It is a great biological filter, and does not harm the turtles.

Good luck,
Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users