• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 harleydvdsnrules

harleydvdsnrules

Starting Member

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 11:08 PM

Hello everyone. I have 4 RES turtles, the two females are about 8" long and the two males are about 4 " long. I never know how much to feed them because whenever I think I am done feeding them they are still going crazy in the tanks because they are thinking they are getting more. The 4" res I feed them about 1 tablespoon each of Zoo Med turtle food about three times a week, and the other days I give them romain lettuce. Maybe once a week I give them dried shrimp because they loooove it, I dont give too much because I think it may be fatty. Does that seem like enough, or should I feed them more often considering they are still growing? The two 8" turtles I Feed the Zoo Med pellets to about three times a week as well, but I give them about two tablespoons each. The other days I feed them romaine lettuce and about once every two weeks I give them dried shrimp. I dont know if thats enough for them, because like I said, they go crazy and all I hear for hours after I feed them is there shells banging constantly against the side of the tank looking for more. One other concern I have is for one of my 8" turtles, Linzy. I think she may be too fat. When she basks and stretches her legs, a blob of fat spills out where her legs tuck in. She also look a little thick in the front, around her head and her front legs. She is still able to tuck in her legs though, so I dont think she is severely fat. She's always been heavier compared to Samantha, but I dont want her to get any fatter, I actually want to put her on a diet. What would be good to help her lose a little weight? Should I feed her the pelleted food once or twice a week and feed her romaine lettuce for the rest of the days? I have no idea what to do. I dont want her to think I am starving her or anything. I always feel bad when I feed her because she always acts like she's still starving. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much everyone. :)

#2 Maggie

Maggie

Normal Member

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 08:38 AM

They are training you:)
USe their hunger against them by feeding them dark green leafy vegetables FIRST...when introducing new vegetables you may want to blanch/boil them quickly it sweetens the taste...once they have finished the nutritious food then offer them pellets...you can also give bannanas and grapes as an occasional *treat* (they are high in phosphorous search on google for calcium to phosphorous ratio---you want to give them food with MORE calcium than phosphorous).
You can also try aquatic plants such as anacharis (you can buy a huge bunch reasonably cheap on ebay).
When turtles breathe/stretch out their flabby skin can sometimes expand like a balloon...it's loose skin and not really "fat". If you live in a warm state you may also take them outside for exercise (supervised! dogs, cats, raccoons, crows are all predators...they can also escape so be careful). If they have plenty of swim space and deep water that will help them exercise. Get small feeder fish (be sure they are healthy feeders can carry parasites) and let your turtles chase them. If your tank is too small for "chasing" remove 2 turtles and let one get the exercise with the feeders at a time. Please buy small feeder fish so the turtle kills it quickly. I feed my turtle every other day...like I said healthy food when they are absolutely hungry then pellets. You can also leave a bunch of anacharis floating in the tank so they can graze at leisure. Anacharis when broken up can clog your filter but I think the nutritional benefits are worth it.

#3 BarbReader

BarbReader

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Interests:I own a male cooter, I think he is a river cooter from the donut shapes on his hinges. I got him on December 25, 1959, when I was four years old and he was a hatchling! I love him totally!

Posted 06 December 2003 - 11:15 AM

Here is a link which will give you the nutritional value of veggies you can use as turtle munchies, and one to veggies to avoid:

For good nutritional foods read:
http://www.chelonia....entanalysis.htm and for poisons to avoid read http://www.chelonia....sthatpoison.htm

#4 shaheenie

shaheenie

Normal Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 03:53 PM

i had a similar question, My RES always seemed ready for more food. So when I took him into the vet, i asked about this too...he said that they have a natural inclination to over eat because in the wild they don't know when their next meal will come. just regulate the food and don't give into those cute turt eyes...is better for them to stay on a regulated diet.... :)

#5 Catherine

Catherine

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:I am Irish Canadian, born in NF, land of snow and ice! LOL, not really, but it is pretty cold. I am currently living in NB, and just graduated from St Thomas University. I plan to return and get my education degree.

Posted 06 December 2003 - 04:08 PM

very much so, shaheenie... your vet told you right :)

Feed on a regular basis, at around the same time of the day each time, and the same amount each time. They'll eventually get on a schedule, although it may take years.

Catherine

#6 jcurtis

jcurtis

Normal Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:47 AM

Just adding a comment - My RES usually always seemed very hungry - However, today for the very first time, I fed them (I feed in a separate container) - They ate what was offered pretty much, but seemed "satisfied" after 10-15 minutes or so. I think it's the first time I've ever gotten the impression from them that they'd had enough. Perhaps at some point they adjust to a regular feeding schedule. Either that or something's wrong with my RES - But I don't think that's the case. I have 7 of them, so doubt they all would have the same problem at the same time regarding food!

quote:
Originally posted by harleydvdsnrules

Hello everyone. I have 4 RES turtles, the two females are about 8" long and the two males are about 4 " long. I never know how much to feed them because whenever I think I am done feeding them they are still going crazy in the tanks because they are thinking they are getting more. The 4" res I feed them about 1 tablespoon each of Zoo Med turtle food about three times a week, and the other days I give them romain lettuce. Maybe once a week I give them dried shrimp because they loooove it, I dont give too much because I think it may be fatty. Does that seem like enough, or should I feed them more often considering they are still growing? The two 8" turtles I Feed the Zoo Med pellets to about three times a week as well, but I give them about two tablespoons each. The other days I feed them romaine lettuce and about once every two weeks I give them dried shrimp. I dont know if thats enough for them, because like I said, they go crazy and all I hear for hours after I feed them is there shells banging constantly against the side of the tank looking for more. One other concern I have is for one of my 8" turtles, Linzy. I think she may be too fat. When she basks and stretches her legs, a blob of fat spills out where her legs tuck in. She also look a little thick in the front, around her head and her front legs. She is still able to tuck in her legs though, so I dont think she is severely fat. She's always been heavier compared to Samantha, but I dont want her to get any fatter, I actually want to put her on a diet. What would be good to help her lose a little weight? Should I feed her the pelleted food once or twice a week and feed her romaine lettuce for the rest of the days? I have no idea what to do. I dont want her to think I am starving her or anything. I always feel bad when I feed her because she always acts like she's still starving. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much everyone. :)

#7 Turtles

Turtles

Cavalry Scout

• Members Plus
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:turtles, playing bass, Hunting, military, firearms

Posted 09 December 2003 - 04:17 PM

give them 5-6 pellts a day at the same time i feed mine around 6

#8 harleydvdsnrules

harleydvdsnrules

Starting Member

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have more questions though. I want to put Linzy on a diet. I want to lessen the blob that sticks out where her leg goes. I realize that turtles kind of push it out when they stretch their legs when basking, but she has this blob all the time and I know it's a sign the turtle may be too fat, and she is. She is about 8 or 9" big. Does anyone know what I can do to help her lose a little of her fat. Should I feed greens 4 times a week and feed pellets only three times a week, or something like that? Is that enough for a turtle that size? I definitely dont want her to feel starved though. Thanks alot. :)

#9 JJ

JJ

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 07:20 AM

Feed her greens 3-4 times a week and pellets twice a week. Feed them 15 small pellets each time. Keep doing that for a while. I took many years to put on the pounds and it will take a long time to shed the weight. BUt to be honest, a little pudge is cute. [icon_smile.gif Just feed it a better diet from now on and it will be fine.

Cheers,
JJ[;)]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users