smuggling my turtle on the plane

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hitomi

Hitomi

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 07:39 PM

if anyone remembers me asking about going on an airplane with a turtle, i just wanted to post about what I did.
I actually had the little guy in my pocket inside a little cotton pouch i knitted for his dimensions for about 5 minutes when we went through the metal detector. he was in a plastic container with my kitty in her carrier the whole time with a heat pad under him. (of course my kitty escaped from her carrier and decided to hang out in business class for a little while.)
Midori was A-ok. Just so you know, it can be done. The airplane staff was none the wiser.

#2 Andy's Auto

Andy's Auto

One Defenseless Avatar

• Retired Moderators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 07:53 PM

Cool,but dangerous.What we all want to know,is what do they do when you get caught.It was a in country flight.Would they let you go as not to delay the flight?

What if I'm not bringing my cat?

#3 samsmom

samsmom

Turtle Gardener

• Members Plus
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, bicycling
    Box turtles

Posted 01 January 2004 - 08:17 PM

I read an article about some people who regularly took the box turtle on flights to Hawaii by transferring the turtle between the coat pocket and the purse; however, that was a few years ago, before the security issues we have now.

Glad your turtle had a safe trip!

#4 PKohler

PKohler

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:22 PM

I have a friend who smuggled two RES's from Spain to the US without getting caught.

Bringing animals to Hawaii is a very big deal. Hawaii's biota is so delicate that they severely restirct the species you are allowed to bring in. It appears that they had a horrible experience with, I think, the mongoose and, as with all isolated environments, was devestated by the introduction of rats, goats, pigs, cats, dogs, and birds such as the frigate bird, etc.

Disruption of T/E species and protected preserves are punishable by a $5,000 fine per instance- $10,000 if you are a Federal employ in many of the gov'ts departments.

If the questioned animal is detected during boarding on a flight to Hawaii or after departing the flight in Hawaii but still on airport grounds, it isnt so big a deal as they just hold the animal and either turn it over to wild conservation officers (usually State run) on MainLand USA or, in some instances, release the animal into the care of the guilty party's family.

I would imagine that domestic (Mainland) US flights would usually wind up overlooking smuggling nonprotected animals whether that's the right course of action or not.

#5 MouhotiiFan

MouhotiiFan

Rockin Acreage

• Moderator Team
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:29 PM

Did the Brown Tree Snake ever make it to the Hawaiian islands?

Steve

#6 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

I had a friend sneak two baby sulcatas in her bra.

#7 Tyler M.

Tyler M.

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Global Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:I grew interested in turtles when I was a kid living close to the everglades. I have kept turtles ever since.
    I work with computers, and enjoy the simplicity and purpose my turtles bring in a life that is all too much haste!

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:46 AM

Dumb question. Kind of answered here, but is it illegal to transport a "legal" turtle by flying with it from State-to-State? I assumed it was ok, but never tried.

I see people with dogs and cats that carry them on.

#8 PKohler

PKohler

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 07:37 AM

That is a good question, Tyler. I would assume the answer is no so long as the turtle was a documented pet but, depending on the type of aircraft you're flying in it may or may not survive the trip.

Case in point, I hopped a turbo-prop once that was nonpreassurized . although this flight was in June in North America, it was really really cool on the flight- cold even. And it was a relatively long flight, in the order of 4 hours.

#9 greens

greens

Normal Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:11 PM

did you NEED to bring your turt with you? like were you moving or something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users