5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim W

Jim W

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Electricity

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:08 PM

I have noticed that a couple of my redfoots have seemed sluggish lately,and just discovered mites on them.I've heard of using sevendust to control mites on snakes,but I'm not sure if this would be good for tortoises.Does anyone have some advice or suggestions?Thanks,JW

#2 Box Turtle

Box Turtle

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:14 PM

Consult with a qualified reptile vet. Turtles are sensitive to some chemicals that are perfectly harmless to other species.

#3 el tortuga

el tortuga

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • Interests:Fine art Metalsmithing, reading, turtles.

Posted 03 February 2002 - 05:49 PM

When my Leopard Tortoises had ticks my vet used "Frontline" spray treatment that is normaly used on dogs and cats. We had to put them out in order to pull their legs out for spraying.I also use it on rescue iguanas. If you are not into pesticides you can use vegetable oil dip to get rid of mites and ticks. One of my snake keeper friends likes to use it. He dips all of the snake but it's head and then puts it in a tank with lots of news paper to drain. He uses it on his lizards too. This is a big mess so if your Red Foots are very big I guess you could dab it on.

#4 Jim W

Jim W

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Electricity

Posted 04 February 2002 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.I have done a little more research,and have soaked the toroises in an attempt to drown the mites,and thoroughly scrubbed them(they didnt like that part much).I then coated them with a vegetable oil,hoping to smother any remaining mites.the torts have been moved to a quarrantine set up,but my biggest concern is treating their outdoor enclosure-I hate to spay everything with pesticide since the torts forrage out there,but I dont see any other solution.Does anyone have any ideas???

#5 Greg978

Greg978

Retired Moderator

• Retired Moderators
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 07:32 AM

Look for a product called "Provent a Mite".... it can be used safely with all reptiles. It can be used in enclosures, on substrate, etc.

http://www.pro-produ...iteandtemp.html

Greg978
Moderator - Turtletimes
http://greg978.tripo...regscritterpage

#6 el tortuga

el tortuga

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • Interests:Fine art Metalsmithing, reading, turtles.

Posted 05 February 2002 - 12:00 PM

If they, the mites, are out side you should cut your grass low, rake up all debris,bag and throw away. Then you will most likely have to spray the enclosure with a pesticide. Water does not bother mites much at all, soap does. A complete turn over of the soil in the enclosure would reduce the mite population but not eliminate it."Provent-a-Mite" has a web site, you ought to check with them for more suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users