Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

I have been pretty happy with Turtlesinc.com

#222 Erik

Erik

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

I just had a very positive experience recently with both the Turtlesource and DTS Herps.

#223 Erik

Erik

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Just had another positive experience with The Turtle Source.

#224 Lil'Swimmer

Lil'Swimmer

• Members Standard
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Art, Movies, Special Effects Makeup, Japanese culture, Anime & Manga, Being Creative

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

What I am confused with though, is how is TurtleShack.com even allowed to be in business?
I thought it was illegal to buy/sell any turtle under a 4" shell line, yet they are advertising quarter sized babies.
Does the law only apply to local pet shop owners??

I could understand Craigslist (because what people buy and sell on their own time doesn't seem to bother too many people and hardly any of it is looked into anyway; especially dealing with turtles) but a company like TurtleShack with that much advertisement you'd think people would have caught on by now. Maybe I am totally confused about what the law is - but I could have swore it had something to do with not allowing the buying or selling of under 4" turtles unless they are for educational/research-scientific purposes. The website advertises them like any other pet...

I don't know - good or bad experiences, their site alone just kind of makes me iffy =/ I think I'll pass on doing any business with them...

#225 Erik

Erik

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

The Turtle Shack and several others are the same way: hatchlings and babies can be sold for educational/research/ purposes. That is the legal loophole. You see the same thing occuring at many Reptile Shows.I am not complaining. I typically want Juvenile or Sub-Adults and not hatchlings or babies as I do not want the stress of raising a hatchling. I like my turtles somewhat established.
I totally recommend The Turtle Source, DTS Herps, and Glades Herp Farm.Turtles Inc is pretty good to deal with as well.

#226 Turtle_Whisperer

Turtle_Whisperer

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Box Turtles

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Turtle shack has bought out Turtle Sale. They seem to be doing really well with customer service. Check them out on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/TurtleShackcom/118776148134778

Now that makes sense, since they are both selling ornates for over $250.00. I had a bad experience with my first/last purchase with Turtlesale.com back in 2008. I bought an ornate box turtle from them (at the time was $50.00) and when I got her in the mail she was suspended in styrofoam peanuts in a tiny box with a free RES baby in a tiny plastic tubberware container on top.

The RES died couple of days later and the boxie was so starved she was skin and bones. I nursed her back to health but she was terrified of people. Ultimately, I ended up giving her to a friend of mine, who had a spaceous fenced in yard with lots of cover for her.

On a side note looking back at earlier posts, I noticed that many of the suggested sites no longer work or are down.

#227 Res Owner

Res Owner

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:1st the LORD then hunt fish and turtles

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

so what is a good site to buy a terreipn or other turtles at then

#228 Turtle_Whisperer

Turtle_Whisperer

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Box Turtles

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

Honestly, there isn't one.

Local breeders in your area are the best bet, one that you can travel to and observe the turtle before you buy it. Online classifieds are good for easy finds, but you risk getting a sick/dead turtle as you would an online site (unless they have been proven accredited).

#229 Andy's Auto

Andy's Auto

One Defenseless Avatar

• Retired Moderators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

Check out Paul V on the Kingsnake.com turtle classifieds. If you are set on a Terrapin try Jonathan at Diamondbackterrapin.com. He usually has some babies this time of year.

#230 Res Owner

Res Owner

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

ok thank you and i cheacked that website not the kingsnake but the other i like it and i thank for that man thanks

Edited by Res Owner, 11 July 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#231 Res Owner

Res Owner

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

thanks guys i will keep those in mind in cheack them out right now to look for turtles

#232 ShawnTX77

ShawnTX77

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hey, I'm new. :) I just found a couple of those sites you mentioned. I didn't realize it was legal to order live animals online. I've been thinking abt getting a turtle. I may have to look at this option.

#233 iloveturtles315

iloveturtles315

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Turltes,Makeup

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:51 AM

Hi do any of you know any sites i can buy from in the UK ???
thank you

#234 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hello, again, 315. We're intersecting a lot on the forum - so what's your first name?

I found this site on the web, but of course I have no idea of their operations or reputation: http://www.exotic-pe...s-for-sale.html

I'll guess that it's something like TurtleSource.com or TurtlesAndTortoises.com here in the U.S.

Maybe there are some other forum members from the UK who would have some experience with this and other turtle buying sites.

Paul (Cheloniphile)

#235 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hey, I'm new. :) I just found a couple of those sites you mentioned. I didn't realize it was legal to order live animals online. I've been thinking abt getting a turtle. I may have to look at this option.

Hi, Shawn -

Although I have ordered from online turtle stores in the distant past, I've never had the greatest experience. I prefer and would highly recommend looking for breeders / keepers on the Forum. Most of the people here are not in it as a business so I think you're more likely to get a better value and a lot more support. Keep an eye on the Forum classifieds, too and maybe even post a "wanted" ad.

Good luck with your selections and acquisitions.

Paul (Cheloniphile)

#236 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:02 AM

Hi do any of you know any sites i can buy from in the UK ???
thank you

Hereís a little more info on UK turtle sources.

http://www.turtletim...__1#entry370637
It is a dated thread going back to 2006, but it might give you some leads.

Also, on that thread is a member, Puncture.UK, from Warwickshire. His profile says he hasnít been active since August 2009, but you could message or email him from his profile and see what he could recommend for quality sources.

There is at least one other UK member there, also inactive for a few years.

Paul (Cheloniphile)

#237 Soon

Soon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

turtle pimp's website doesnt work for me :/

#238 Soon

Soon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

I live in hong kong.. anyone know how i can ship some quality turtles? all the ones here are very cheap but are all treated very badly, they put around 50 babies in a small box and sell them very cheap. the bigger prolbem is that most of the hatchlings are infected by fungus so there is a chance that the turtle u buy here is gonna get ill :/

#239 muskman266

muskman266

Starting Member

• Validating
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

floridaherps.com

#240 dandj425

dandj425

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Kids, turtles, life learning

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

We just got our new hatchling stinkpots today from Robert/Trish on www.kingsnake.com. The breeders were so patient with my frequent emails and my babies arrived nicely boxed with outer walls insulated, icepack wrapped in plastic and newspaper, their plastic container had holes nicely around the sides and paper towel inside moist. All 3 were very active right from opening their container and we have been in love all day with them. I know it is only the first day but I was so very very worried about shipping and I will definitely recommend them. The babies look very healthy and were eating minced up worms within a few hours of being in their new temporary adjustment home. Thanks Robert and Trish! They do not have a website but breed and sell on kingsnake.com several turtle breeds. They do not seem very large breeder either which I like a lot!
[:turtle]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users