Above Tank Basking Area Pics

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bob from Accounting

Bob from Accounting

Starting Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:custom cars, zippos, neon, automatic knives, comedy, outsider art, eBay, things in tanks, etc.

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:40 PM

This is my first attempt at building an above tank basking area. The bin was $10 at Target & the cork bark was the old platform. They are lashed together with twist ties. To cut the hole, first use a knife or razor to make an outline. Then, heat up the area really good with a heat gun or hair dryer. You should then be able to slice through the plastic fairly easily (be careful). I plan on adding more fake plants and rocks tomorrow.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

#2 RobBierman

RobBierman

TIT= Totally Into Turtles

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
  • Interests:Turtles and Tortoises

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:43 PM

Wow, this is nice

#3 kjtortoise

kjtortoise

Lord of the Tortoise

• Retired Moderators
  • 11,861 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:53 PM

looks good to me bob! :) B)
how is it secured to the tank?

#4 Bob from Accounting

Bob from Accounting

Starting Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:custom cars, zippos, neon, automatic knives, comedy, outsider art, eBay, things in tanks, etc.

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:01 PM

looks good to me bob!  :)  B)
how is it secured to the tank?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not really secured at all. The ramp weighs it down & keeps it from going left or right, and the back is supported by the wall and door. Also, the ridge on the underside of the bin fits almost perfectly around the rim of the tank. Even though my RES is strong, it's not moving.

#5 (invisible:man)

(invisible:man)

User is banned from posting.

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:01 PM

The cork looks pretty close to the lip of the tank... You sure that thing's secure and your turtle(s) can't escape?

#6 Bob from Accounting

Bob from Accounting

Starting Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:07 PM

The cork looks pretty close to the lip of the tank... You sure that thing's secure and your turtle(s) can't escape?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She loves her setup so much she doesn't want to escape! No seriously, I had her old platform so high she could put her head above the rim of the tank, but I've never had an escape attempt & she's 15. She knows she has nowhere to go!

#7 ayc19

ayc19

Normal Member

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:TURTLES ROCK!....I've loved turtles as long as i can remember......I have no idea why....I have never really had a turtle in the past.. only one that some cousin had. ......maybe i was a turtle in my last life..

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:24 PM

lets hope so....that looks like a good drop from the side of the tank to the floor....remember the other member posting about the escaped turtle that fell 3 feet........ nice basking area tho..

#8 Didodeman

Didodeman

the one and only

• Members Plus
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

it looks nice. good job.

#9 Sliderfan

Sliderfan

Phil and Lil, my twin shelled critters

• Members Plus
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, sailing, boating, snowboarding, playing classical music, teaching music, and of course......TURTLES!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

Bob, I love the marbleized tank stand! At first glance, the tub looked ready to fall off, but after I zoomed, I decided it was a great idea. Good handiwork with the ramp, too. I have a 30 gallon aquarium and I've been told i need to put in a lay box for my female. i suspect it will look just like that! Thanks for the idea

#10 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:49 PM

Good job Bob it looks good. I had the same reservations I found your comment about her not having a place to go hysterical. I think my female peninsula cooter thinks the same thing. She could easily get out but if I make it so she can't she gives me an attitude she prefers open and airy and her get out and have to hunt for food...ya right... as if so I understand you completely. So long as turtle is safe I'm comfortable.

#11 anakalia2

anakalia2

Turtles Need Pets Too!

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:05 AM

She loves her setup so much she doesn't want to escape!  No seriously, I had her old platform so high she could put her head above the rim of the tank, but I've never had an escape attempt & she's 15.  She knows she has nowhere to go!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, that's great! Lucy would definately try to escape, but after walking around the apartment for a couple hours she would probably end up right back at the foot of her tank waiting to be put back in :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users