• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Preston

Preston

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:35 AM

My daughter's red-ear, about 30 months old, long since outgrew our twenty gallon indoor aquarium, even with a floating dock, so I built an inexpensive outdoor container.

It has 50 gallons of water, plenty of dry land, floating water hyacinths (not featured in picture) and a 300 watt heater to keep the water warm. An automatic timer ($20 at the hardware store) tops up the water in every day, and I just drain the water out once per week into some bushes to keep the tank clean. The drain and the green hose leading to the bushes is visible in the photo. The white hose is the water in. Seems to work pretty well in LA, with a temperate climate. It should be raccoon-proof, gets sun in the morning (more in the winter).

The whole thing was about $100.

That is Shelley (originally from Austin, Texas but now in LA) during her first day, before I got the hyacinths, on the bottom.

Attached Thumbnails

• Shelley.jpg

#2 spllogics

spllogics

Normal Member

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:I am a freelance visual comunications designer. I live in PA at the moment. Im From SC originally. <br /><br />Field Herpetology as a hobby.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:09 AM

pertty smart idea.

#3 RobBierman

RobBierman

TIT= Totally Into Turtles

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
  • Interests:Turtles and Tortoises

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:26 AM

Cool!

#4 scky82

scky82

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:28 AM

Cool pen and you are such a good dad. B)

#5 indianaturtles

indianaturtles

I'm watching you...

• Members Standard
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:43 AM

I might have to steal that idea- makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways :)

#6 Preston

Preston

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

I might have to steal that idea- makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is why I posted it. It seemed like a good design for those who can't have an inground pond. Here are the parts:

Tub: $13 at Target
valve at bottom: $10
5 rot-resistant (e.g. cedar) 8ft 2x4s: $30
hardware cloth: $15 (Used 3 x 15 ft)
Hose Timer: $20
Heater: about $20
1x2 strip to give rigidity to top (need about 12 feet, $3)

Other: staple gun (to attach hardware cloth), nails, deck screws. I just built the frame around the empty tub. The only tricky part was the four uprights around the tub are chiseled at the top to accommodate the tub's curvature, but the trick to this is to stand the frame on its side and block the tub so that it is approximately where it should be, then mark the 2x4 upright against where it will be, remove some material, and keep removing material until it just fits.

#7 kjtortoise

kjtortoise

Lord of the Tortoise

• Retired Moderators
  • 11,861 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

good job preston! :)

#8 Goblue08

Goblue08

~Here to Stay!~ :)

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Animals, Traveling, 4-wheeling, Girls, Having fun...and Turtles! LoL :)

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

Kool! and Welcome! :)

#9 vaturtle

vaturtle

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members Plus
  • 1,189 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Wildlife, turts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:46 PM

That is a great idea, I am sure others can use it, thnks :)

#10 Fluz2

Fluz2

fluz2

• Members Plus
  • 1,406 posts
  • Interests:our interest are our turtle ,,cooking, camping, motorcycle, riding ,reading ,and gardens

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

That is a great idea, I am sure others can use it, thnks :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nice

#11 sliderkid

sliderkid

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:36 PM

You got the tub at target 13 dollars! WOw
What kind is it, like what specific brand? Id love to get one of those. I dont have target near me so Id have to find the tub at antoher shop.

#12 DonDiego

DonDiego

Mmmm..... people.

• Members Plus
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

Do turts in LA need a heater. Wild RES don't need heaters in Chicagoland.

#13 zerogerman

zerogerman

Follow through is the extention of your intention.

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gio (short for Giovanni). I was born in Brazil 1972. Living in the US for 8 years. I play bass and write/direct short films. I'm also a turtle lover, of course...!

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:08 PM

That looks fantastic !!!!Seriously...! I see you cut out your daughter from the pic...wink..wink...

#14 Preston

Preston

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:00 AM

You got the tub at target 13 dollars! WOw
What kind is it, like what specific brand? Id love to get one of those. I dont have target near me so Id have to find the tub at antoher shop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a 50 gallon storage container made by Sterilite. It is sort of like

This

but clear.

#15 Preston

Preston

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:02 AM

Do turts in LA need a heater.  Wild RES don't need heaters in Chicagoland.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, standing outdoor water here will drop to 60 degrees. Seems a bit cool for a Texan.

#16 sliderkid

sliderkid

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

Really? By ssteriltie? The biggest clear they have it seems is a 30 gallon. I asked them myself. Are you sure it is not the clear 30 gallon? Measurements checked? If it is actually that model it would be perfecect! And im ordering a 50 gallon clear tub from reptiletubs.com for 50 dollars! Well another confirmation please.
Sorry for the questions.

#17 Preston

Preston

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:36 PM

Really? By ssteriltie? The biggest clear they have it seems is a 30 gallon. I asked them myself. Are you sure it is not the clear 30 gallon? Measurements checked? If it is actually that model it would be perfecect! And im ordering a 50 gallon clear tub from reptiletubs.com for 50 dollars! Well another confirmation please.
Sorry for the questions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I double-checked: it is a 50 gallon clear Sterilite container. (There is a sticker on the side.) It has the same dimensions as the blue one I referenced above, but is a thicker, heavier plastic and, of course, clear, as you can see in the picture. I also could not find it on their website, nor on Target's website, but there is a lot of stuff in Target stores not on Target's website.

It is working fine now, but your $50 one may be a better product. 50 gallons of water is 400 pounds, and I'm a little concerned how long this one will survive. Still, since I was just experimenting with the outdoor cage, I was pretty happy with the outcome, and it doesn't seem to be sagging after two weeks.

If you can't find the target one, there is a 45 gallon tub (not clear) for $25 at Home Depot:

Mix-A-Tub
Versatile Heavy Duty Black Plastic Tub 45 Gallon Capacity
Model RG177
Plastic mixing tub. Great for mixing cement and mortar, feeding and grooming animals, mixing soils and fertilizers and start bedding plants.
Internet/Catalog # 163845
Store SKU# 201475

#18 guptuck2002

guptuck2002

killer turtles to the rescue!

• Members Standard
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:snowboarding, flying, turtles!!! animals, biking, cc running, tennis,track

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

Awsomne setup!

#19 Preston

Preston

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:32 PM

Sorry for the questions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something I should have done earlier is read the fine print on the sticker. It is model 1849, the same as the one I referenced above:

but in "midnight blue" rather than "glacier." The midnight blue is, in fact, clear. It is still for sale in the Pasadena, CA Target store, but I don't see it on their website.

#20 sliderkid

sliderkid

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:36 PM

grrr. perfect tank for me and out of reach...
Oh well. No targets near me and besides that calling up each one and asking for a certain product can be a nightmare. Reptiletubs are not made for holding water, this iv asked many times. They say althouhg not meant to they see no problem if it does, as its stronger than the store brands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users