awsome dowgggggggggggggggggggg

#102 Wink

Wink

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members Plus
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

Nice Preston!
I find lava rock in your larger bio filters an inexpensive media.
Take Preston's idea and use preformed ponds above ground; tap a drain in the bottom for sludge control; add a UV filter for water borne algea and bacteria; put a spill way above for water for plants to thrive and filter water (bog garden) feeding them to turts as they over crowd; spiull way aerates water naturally; silk/hair algea will grow still but water will remain clear; add dried peat moss in spill way to soften water and naturally remove city water chemicals (moss may darken water).
Keep building :)

#103 Preston

Preston

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

Sorry, it has been a few years since I came to the site. The last time I came it was down and I thought it had disappeared entirely, glad to see it still thrives.

For the person looking locally for hyacinths, Sunland Water Gardens on Sunland Blvd, in Sunland, has them.

The setup I showed last continued to work. I moved it to a less sunny spot, so the land area got sun but the water little sun. I drained it and scrubbed it every week. A couple of times per year I would let the turtle come inside in a bath tub all day, and use chlorine bleach to kill the algae and everything else in the water, and then fill and rinse it over and over until there was no chlorine smell.

The small size of the aquarium compared to the turtle has bothered me for several years.

But as of last weekend, Shelley has a lot more space, specifically 120 gallons and actual dirt to dig in. I have the same Pondmaster 1000 and the water coming out comes through an ornamental fish mouth. My kids are ecstatic although so far, Shelley hasn't come out of the water yet. The water is cool this time of year and she is sluggish and not eating much (normal), and we haven't had a sunny day since she moved. But she has lingered near the edge looking, so I am hopeful she'll be out sunning as soon as the sun comes out.
13.jpg
Construction: a plastic pond from Home Depot. Most of a day digging out roots, including some 8 inches in diameter, to create a large enough hole. 350 pounds of sand. It is very hard to get the pond to sit flat, because you don't really know if it is level until you add water, and if the bottom isn't sitting right it causes the edges to flare up. Made worse because I wanted the wire to run along two sides of the pond, which meant the wire was in the way for adding sand and adjusting. If I were doing it over, I would put the pond in and fill it before even starting on the wire. The wire is 3 foot tall green vinyl-coated chicken wire, supported by seven 3-foot stakes. It is a little too malleable but OK I guess. I curved it over, cutting out wedges where there were turns and connecting the now disconnected parts with electrical ties. It will definitely support the turtle's weight if she climbs it, and it curves over enough to keep her in.

I have 200 stems of anacharis coming from eBay and will add snails when it does. There are some rocks on the bottom to protect snails and other creatures like fresh water shrimp. I'm going to add water lilies in March, and we'll plant something along the wire to make it prettier.

Thanks! I benefited greatly from this site.

#104 allison finch

allison finch

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Police Sgt/firearms instructor. I travel to scuba dive and do underwater photography. Studied herpetology in college and do turtle rehabbing.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Very nicely done!

#105 Pugwinkle

Pugwinkle

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:02 AM

grrr. perfect tank for me and out of reach...
Oh well. No targets near me and besides that calling up each one and asking for a certain product can be a nightmare. Reptiletubs are not made for holding water, this iv asked many times. They say althouhg not meant to they see no problem if it does, as its stronger than the store brands.

Walmart also sells Sterilite. At least they do here in Canada.

Edited to say, sorry I didn't realize this thread was sooo old. I would have deleted bit I don't seem to have that option.

Edited by Pugwinkle, 21 February 2010 - 06:05 AM.

#106 amanda1558

amanda1558

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

love your new pond..your turtle will come out and subath more often if you put some bricks in the middle of the pond coming out of the water. They like to stay very close to their pond and they also enjoy being able to sunbath and still be in some water. If you add rocks around your pond it will also give your turtle places to blend in from other animals and the turtles seem to love to lay on the rocks and get the warmth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users