NEW BREEDING PENS!

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:11 PM

my florida baoxie spend more time in the water then my diamond backs!

#42 Tyler M.

Tyler M.

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Global Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:I grew interested in turtles when I was a kid living close to the everglades. I have kept turtles ever since.
    I work with computers, and enjoy the simplicity and purpose my turtles bring in a life that is all too much haste!

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:26 AM

I want to see the inside of the enclosures, and under the back hidge when you get your turtles in there... and did you say you will be adding more dirt like a mound?

#43 TameYourself

TameYourself

AKA Leeann

• Retired Moderators
  • 3,609 posts
  • Interests:Reptiles, turtles mainly.

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

my florida baoxie spend more time in the water then my diamond backs!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've noticed that too, with my babies and my new adult. I now am planning on putting in a larger water area in my boxie pen.

#44 RESGuy

RESGuy

Know as "Turtle Dude" in Fish Forums

• Members
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Turtles! Turtles and oh ya more turtles!

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:15 PM

You should breed the Ornate and the Russian Tort they ROCK!And I love your idea! :blink: Good Luck!

RESGuy [:turtle]

#45 jarrad

jarrad

Starting Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:12 PM

really neat Rob, have any finishing pictures yet? Im interested in doing something like that. I have painted turtles. I`m not sure how many eggs they lay. I heard they lay 100. Could that idea work for painted turtles or not?

#46 RobBierman

RobBierman

TIT= Totally Into Turtles

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
  • Interests:Turtles and Tortoises

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:17 PM

really neat Rob, have any finishing pictures yet? Im interested in doing something like that. I have painted turtles. I`m not sure how many eggs they lay. I heard they lay 100. Could that idea work for painted turtles or not?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes that idea would work- except you would need a larger water area. Painted Turtles do not lay 100 eggs, they lay an average of 5- 10.

#47 jarrad

jarrad

Starting Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:39 PM

ok how much water do i need for them to live outside during the winter?

#48 jarrad

jarrad

Starting Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

is it true that during the winter they live under the frozen water all winter long? or do they need to be out of the water before it starts to freeze? does living in Illinois change the way it should be?

#49 zerogerman

zerogerman

Follow through is the extention of your intention.

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gio (short for Giovanni). I was born in Brazil 1972. Living in the US for 8 years. I play bass and write/direct short films. I'm also a turtle lover, of course...!

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

[:off:)] Sorry about that.... [:off:)]

is it true that during the winter they live under the frozen water all winter long? or do they need to be out of the water before it starts to freeze? does living in Illinois change the way it should be?

Well, it's somewhat true. Western Painteds can hibernate. So as long as your pond is deep enough, below the frostline in your region, than it's ok. Here in Denver the requirement is about 4 feet deep. Illinois perhaps deeper. You'll still need to keep a hole in the ice, to allow oxigen exchange...PM me if you want to know more...

Again, great stuff Rob!!!! My outside pen looks just like yours, only a bit bigger...

#50 Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:I've become a complete fan of turtles after getting our first turtle a year or so ago. Unfortunately that turtle didn't make it and I have had to opportunity to explore and find out what we really like. I currently have 1.1 Eastern Hermanns tortoises and we love them to death! <br />As far as my other interests, I'm a computer geekette, love to go flea marketing and most importantly hanging out with my family.
  • Last Blog Entry:
  • One bad egg, another still cooking..more to come?

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:37 PM

Rob,

The pens look great! I am considering making a couple pens myself this year and this gives me some ideas. I do have some questions though.......

Since Russians and Boxes dig won't you need to put in fencing underneath or will you be adding in additional dirt so they won't dig down that far?

On the wire tops.... It looks like the openings between wires is large enough for mice or rats to get in, you know they can squeeze into the smallest of places...even snakes for that matter. This being said would there been some worry of eggs getting stolen or eaten by a rodent or snakes? I was thinking that the very small spaced chicken wire would be best to keep out rodents.

Now the only thing I see wrong with your set up has to do with me being the big baby that I am...I can just imagine going out there in the morning and seeing a HUGE spider web going from the fence to the house and this mammoth spider right in the middle of it!! :wacko: [:bawl] Now that would be the end of outside set ups for me!!! :lol: :lol: I'm terrified of spiders as you can tell, we usually get these big ole spiders that actually make webs from our neighbors rooftop to our rooftop and then build it downward and that just terrifies me enough that I won't even park my car right up next to my house!

Do I have a problem or what??? :(

Seriously though, it really looks great! Keep those pics coming!

Kellie

#51 Crazy4turtles

Crazy4turtles

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Turtle enthusiast since birth. =)

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

Amazing idea for breeding set-ups, and they don't take up that much space either, simply awesome.

You definately have to keep us updated on eggs and such and definately post pics of the finished product. Awesome job, set-up and pics!

Edited by Crazy4turtles, 11 March 2006 - 03:26 PM.

#52 RobBierman

RobBierman

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

Rob,

The pens look great! I am considering making a couple pens myself this year and this gives me some ideas. I do have some questions though.......

Since Russians and Boxes dig won't you need to put in fencing underneath or will you be adding in additional dirt so they won't dig down that far?

On the wire tops.... It looks like the openings between wires is large enough for mice or rats to get in, you know they can squeeze into the smallest of places...even snakes for that matter. This being said would there been some worry of eggs getting stolen or eaten by a rodent or snakes? I was thinking that the very small spaced chicken wire would be best to keep out rodents.

Now the only thing I see wrong with your set up has to do with me being the big baby that I am...I can just imagine going out there in the morning and seeing a HUGE spider web going from the fence to the house and this mammoth spider right in the middle of it!! :wacko: [:bawl] Now that would be the end of outside set ups for me!!! :lol: :lol: I'm terrified of spiders as you can tell, we usually get these big ole spiders that actually make webs from our neighbors rooftop to our rooftop and then build it downward and that just terrifies me enough that I won't even park my car right up next to my house!

Do I have a problem or what??? :(

Seriously though, it really looks great! Keep those pics coming!

Kellie

Thanks, I am glad you like it.
We actually dug down a good 3+ feet and put chicken wire down before building the pens, so they cannot dig out the only thing they could do woulb be climb into another pen, but I keep a close eye on them all the time and I think I would catch them before they could.
I didnt want the wires in the screen top to be to small because then it would be really hard to see the turtles. Yes a rat or a mouse could squeeze threw the wiring but they do not scare me that much, I just didnt want big animals to get in like cats, coons, possoms, birds, etc. Spiders getting in definatly doesnt scare me, I am sure the turtles would love for them to come in and visit them :D

#53 Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:I've become a complete fan of turtles after getting our first turtle a year or so ago. Unfortunately that turtle didn't make it and I have had to opportunity to explore and find out what we really like. I currently have 1.1 Eastern Hermanns tortoises and we love them to death! <br />As far as my other interests, I'm a computer geekette, love to go flea marketing and most importantly hanging out with my family.
  • Last Blog Entry:
  • One bad egg, another still cooking..more to come?

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Thanks, I am glad you like it.
We actually dug down a good 3+ feet and put chicken wire down before building the pens, so they cannot dig out the only thing they could do woulb be climb into another pen, but I keep a close eye on them all the time and I think I would catch them before they could.
I didnt want the wires in the screen top to be to small because then it would be really hard to see the turtles. Yes a rat or a mouse could squeeze threw the wiring but they do not scare me that much, I just didnt want big animals to get in like cats, coons, possoms, birds, etc. Spiders getting in definatly doesnt scare me, I am sure the turtles would love for them to come in and visit them :D

I can imagine you aren't scared of them, guys hardly ever are! :angry: As far as the turtles, the boxies would probably eat them but I dunno what the russians would do since they are not meat eaters. I worry about putting my russians outside because I figure since they are not meat eaters they'll just let them nest up in their shell and I tell ya what as far as I'm concerned, no bugs that aren't paying rent are going to take up residence in my tortoise's shell! :lol: I guess animals are made so that bug bites don't affect them as they do us, my hubby is allergic to spiders and he swells up like all get out.

You did a really good job getting the dirt packed back down then because to look at your pen you would never know that you had dug it up and then replaced it.

#54 Millerlite

Millerlite

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

Man i remember this post, lol. Love the idea, i saw someone said rats can get in but im sure Rob will be taking out the eggs onced layed and incubate them instead of doing it the natural way, but i like them i do plan to make some, but i have boxies outdoors and thats about it, lol. so no need to split them up, was it 5x5 inclosures? I always thought that was small for breeding groups, since you need like 3.1 group, or something, but thats me, how many russians do you have rob?

#55 LV426

LV426

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:54 PM

Kelli B you would have freaked out in my house the other night. I was sitting watching tv and I saw this thing run acrodss the floor. I thought it was a mouse so I flipped on the light and got up to look and it was a big hairy wolf spider that was huge. I just shooed him under my roommate's door.:)

#56 LV426

LV426

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

Ok I know the topic is old but Rob by any chance do you remember what kind of wood you used and the rough cost?

#57 RobBierman

RobBierman

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:08 PM

Ok I know the topic is old but Rob by any chance do you remember what kind of wood you used and the rough cost?

It probably cost somewhere around $200 for all 4 pens. We used Treated Pine, 2 X 12's. :)

#58 Turtlenoob

Turtlenoob

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Thrash metal, guitar, taking care of my RES, gaming

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

you must be RICH. For a 15 year old? WOW. Good job though, I would probably use my money like that too.b :D

#59 RobBierman

RobBierman

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

you must be RICH. For a 15 year old? WOW. Good job though, I would probably use my money like that too.b :D

No, definatly not rich. But most of the money that I earn or get goes to the shelled creatures :D

#60 Tyler M.

Tyler M.

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Global Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:I grew interested in turtles when I was a kid living close to the everglades. I have kept turtles ever since.
    I work with computers, and enjoy the simplicity and purpose my turtles bring in a life that is all too much haste!

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:50 PM

I want to see the inside of the enclosures, and under the back hidge when you get your turtles in there... and did you say you will be adding more dirt like a mound?

Rob, as mentioned last year, time for a photo of these pens in action, and of their private areas. Getting ready to make new pens at my new place... and I am considering not making them a turtle house.

Do you have many problems with the russians digging under? I always just find a rock and place it in the spot they were diggung, and it stops the problem. If you have a little box they can climb into, they won't dig into the dirt at night, but since you did put chicken wire under them.

Anyway post an update on this pen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users