Very impressed, the pens look fantastic,

#62 RobBierman

RobBierman

TIT= Totally Into Turtles

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
  • Interests:Turtles and Tortoises

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

Rob, as mentioned last year, time for a photo of these pens in action, and of their private areas. Getting ready to make new pens at my new place... and I am considering not making them a turtle house.

Do you have many problems with the russians digging under? I always just find a rock and place it in the spot they were diggung, and it stops the problem. If you have a little box they can climb into, they won't dig into the dirt at night, but since you did put chicken wire under them.

Anyway post an update on this pen.

Here is the latest picture. Sorry my shadow is in the way :D
I have the tops up in the back so you can see where the dirt is higher.
Posted Image

Edited by RobBierman, 24 July 2006 - 10:48 AM.

#63 weiand04

weiand04

Starting Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

Great pens they look amazing.

#64 alex_dude1o1

alex_dude1o1

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:TURTLES<br />&lt;div style=&quot;text-align: center; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; width:450;&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;embed allowScriptAccess=&quot;never&quot; src=&quot;http://www.projectplaylist.com/xspf_player.swf&quot; menu=&quot;false&quot; quality=&quot;high&quot; width=&quot;435&quot; height=&quot;270&quot; name=&quot;mp3player&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; pluginspage=&quot;http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; flashvars=&quot;&amp;config=http://www.projectplaylist.com/config2.xml&amp;playlist_url=http://www.projectplaylist.com/loadplaylist.php?playlist=743347&quot; wmode=&quot;transparent&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; /&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/create.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com/standalone/743347 target=_blank&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/pplaylist.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com/download/743347&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/download.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt; &lt;/div&gt;<br />

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

So how many eggs have come out of those pens for you so far this year Rob?

#65 RobBierman

RobBierman

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

So how many eggs have come out of those pens for you so far this year Rob?

I dont know. <_< I am currently keeping Ornate Box Turtles in the first pen, Florida Box Turtles in the second pen, Russian Tortoises in the third pen, and ambos in the fourth pen but hopefully in Daytona I find some nice Greeks for the last pen, or maybe some Eastern Box Turtles (I havent decided which one I want to breed yet)

#66 Tyler M.

Tyler M.

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Global Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:I grew interested in turtles when I was a kid living close to the everglades. I have kept turtles ever since.
    I work with computers, and enjoy the simplicity and purpose my turtles bring in a life that is all too much haste!

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

Sweet. I was wondering what your nesting areas looked like.

Do you have hiding sports /houses for them, or does just the covered area do the trick.

#67 Island Reptiles

Island Reptiles

Normal Member

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Providing sanctuary for both land and aquatic turtles. Maintaining a rehabilitation facility for various marine turtles.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:39 AM

The idea is great... but looks slightly inconvienent to me. For one thing, you have to stand on your head to view the nesting areas in the second, third and fourth pens.

I personally would have built 2 units like this, had them nest-box to nest-box, with a small walkway in between. That way you can walk around the front 'yard' area of the pens, as well as by the nest areas without having to stand on your head on wood checking/collecting eggs.

But it does look like you have it tucked in a smaller area of your property, so maybe lack of room was an issue?

Just my two cents. As I said, great idea... I just would have done it differently. :P

#68 RobBierman

RobBierman

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:16 AM

The idea is great... but looks slightly inconvienent to me. For one thing, you have to stand on your head to view the nesting areas in the second, third and fourth pens.

I personally would have built 2 units like this, had them nest-box to nest-box, with a small walkway in between. That way you can walk around the front 'yard' area of the pens, as well as by the nest areas without having to stand on your head on wood checking/collecting eggs.

But it does look like you have it tucked in a smaller area of your property, so maybe lack of room was an issue?

Just my two cents. As I said, great idea... I just would have done it differently. :P

I cant picture what you mean? Even the second, third, and fourth pen is easy to view, because I do not have all the hinges in the back down at the same time. I just lifted them all in this last photo to show Tyler the nesting areas. So you simply walk across the first pen, bend down and open up the second and look in, or you walk on the ground beside the pens and open up those front hinges and then you can see the entire pen.
If you built them nest box to nest box then our entire idea of shade and protection would have gone down the drain and then the would be much harder to view in the amout of room we had, and they would have looked like an ordinary pen.
We also have a stepping stone in each pen that we put all their food on. If I wanted I could step in and check that way as well.

Sweet. I was wondering what your nesting areas looked like.

Do you have hiding sports /houses for them, or does just the covered area do the trick.

The covered area would be plenty, but in some of the pens I actually have small little hiding spots that they like. For example I put a rock in the diggers pen (Russians), and they dug out all the dirt underneath the rock and now one of them likes to stay under their.

#69 Island Reptiles

Island Reptiles

Normal Member

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Providing sanctuary for both land and aquatic turtles. Maintaining a rehabilitation facility for various marine turtles.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

Actually, the way I have it pictured the protection would still be there, as well as the shade........... well, let's see. I can probably draw a quick graph of what I was meaning since I am horrible at explaining things.

I used to make similar enclosures like this for my poultry. At one time I used to specialize in endangered and imported exotic breeds of chicken; Orloff, Onagadori, Ohiki, Spitzhauben, Nankeen, Fayoumi, Owlbeards and many others.

With the exception of them being taller, I did have some pens almost like these.

I'll do a quick drawing of what I was meaning.

Jesse

#70 Antonio

Antonio

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Turtles of course feel free to add my msn and we can speak.
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

Very nice.

#71 Breigh

Breigh

It's true frogs were turtles without shells!

• Members Plus
  • 1,055 posts
  • Interests:Turtles of course!<br />I also like to read a lot, download TV shows and movies (Bit torrent rules!). I cross stitch, quilt, hang out with friends, gab online and all the other geeky stuff.
  • Last Blog Entry:
  • A Sweet Proposal

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

You have the coolest parents ever.

#72 EvilPanda

EvilPanda

Normal Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

Let the breeding Begin!

#73 Shaida C

Shaida C

it's pronounced Shy-da

• Members Plus
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Somebody.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

It looks good man

#74 turt_luver

turt_luver

Starting Member

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

hi...I am planning on getting my very first turtle this summer! i am hoping 2 get a female box turtle of some sort! this looks great! I have future dreams of bcoming a vet so i plan on raising these turtle for a long time! I ma only 14 so i plan on having another 4 years of school and then 4 years of college and then 4 years of vet school...so w/ all this time I am hoping 2 gain enough money 2 start breeding turtles! it sounds so fun and rewarding! so hopefully w/ all the money i get from being a vet i will earn enough money 2 complete this dream 2! but i luv the idea of the outdoor breeding pen and am hoping ill b posting pix lik these w/ in the next few years lol

BYEZz

#75 muntedmonkeyz

muntedmonkeyz

Starting Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Wow you are sooo lucky...my mum breeds rabbits :( on a much smaller scale and we dont have a very area of grass so they rip up the lawn but it is always cool to see little creatures born and grow :D

I just turned 16 on th 14th and just got a couple of RES turtles, they are so cool but i cant stop worrying if I am feeding them enough and vegetables etc.
But I'm sure I'm doing fine :unsure: one of them just started basking today but i cant seem to get the other one to-he's quite shy...

Anyway keep up the excellent work and I'm sure you'll get far B)

#76 GodStillBlesses

GodStillBlesses

Starting Member

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:God, My Church, Husband, Kids and animals

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

looks great.

#77 Daksi

Daksi

Starting Member

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Hum.<br /><br />I like:<br /><br />Dragons, Dinosaurs, Reptiles, All Animals, Nature, Art, Fantasy, Literature, Traveling Abroad, Learning New Languages, The Smell of Wet Dirt and Sea Water, well.. lots of stuff really.<br /><br />Oh! The band Blue Oyster Cult, the great universe that is Long Island... my second obsession Word of Warcraft, and of course.. TURTLES!!!!!!!!!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

Those pens are awesome! That must have taken some real hard work there.

Thanks for posting pics up! I know they've given me some ideas on building an enclosure.

#78 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

Wow you are sooo lucky...my mum breeds rabbits :( on a much smaller scale and we dont have a very area of grass so they rip up the lawn but it is always cool to see little creatures born and grow :D

I just turned 16 on th 14th and just got a couple of RES turtles, they are so cool but i cant stop worrying if I am feeding them enough and vegetables etc.
But I'm sure I'm doing fine :unsure: one of them just started basking today but i cant seem to get the other one to-he's quite shy...

Anyway keep up the excellent work and I'm sure you'll get far B)

i miss breeding rabbits :( jstu dont have the time for it anymore

what kind does she breed ?

#79 jasontang2013

jasontang2013

Walking on Thin Ice at Turtle Times

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

dude i wish i were you cause i love turtles. I also think that your alsome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users