55g Walmart Aquarium

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 GRILLCHEESE

GRILLCHEESE

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:04 PM

Today I just bought a 55g aquarium from Walmart. From previous experience, these tanks upheld well. Anyways, I have 2 red-eared sliders about 2-3 in. from head to toe. I figured this would be a nice upgrade from their current 20g long tank. As with other Walmart tanks, they come with a hood, light bulbs, thermometer, filter, net, food, etc etc. The filter that came with my 55g tank is called an Aqua-Tech 30-60 Power filter with E-Z change filter cartridges. I'm sure this filter would work well for a fish tank, but is it any good for a turtle tank?

I normally clean my tank 100% every week by emptying out all of the water, scrubbing the tank, and hosing it off outside. However, with this 55g, I don't think its possible anymore. Well maybe once every 6 months I can get some guys to help me lift this thing and totally clean it out. But as for weekly cleaning, I'm going to have to buy a Python or whatever its called. I've always been picky about my water clarity, but thats changed since I've had turtles. My turtles make themselves at home right away. Ok I think I'm trailing off the subject and boring you, so anyways...Should I buy a new filter that pumps more water? And also, my tank comes with a hood light fixture, should I replace it with a screen lid instead? I already have a UV light bulb from the 20g.

I would appreciate any advice from knowledgeable people like you :D

#2 twiztidfaces

twiztidfaces

Rah Rah Ra Rah!

• Members Plus
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

ok, check it out. I bought the same tank and from my experience the filters not gonna work. look into getting a canister filter or else you will be cleaning the tank constantly. with mine i only have to do full water changes once every few months. as far as the hood, i used it.Remember that uvb doesnt penatrate glass, so you'll have to take out the little glass covers. not too hard though.
Robert

#3 dancer

dancer

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 2,974 posts
  • Interests:My zoo..... I also love anything to do with my native american culture, I'm a drum keeper for a women's drum. We sing at powwows,colleges and schools. Teaching all about our culture.I'm also a jingle dancer and womens traditonal buckskin. I also love the outdoors and reading..<br /><br />after being alone for 6 1/2 yrs...I'm now residing in arizona with my fiance' Jeff and his three sons.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

Check into the jebo canister.I ordered one for my 4 hatchling babies.it does a great job.....I wouldn't hesitate to order another either...

#4 GRILLCHEESE

GRILLCHEESE

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:46 PM

Ok....canister filter, got it!....wait, what kind? Is there a specific canister filter that has worked well? Are any of those Fluval filters worth it?

Also, as for my hood, they come with flourescent blubs. Am I switching those with the UV basking bulbs under the hood? Taking out the glass wont be a problem. The pic below if of my current 20g tank. Thats the UV bulb I have right now. I was thinking of having this similar setup with my 55g....screen hood and bulb on top. But if I keep the hood that came with the 55g, then I'll need those long UV bulbs that fit to screw into the hood?

I'm sorry am I making any sense?

Thank-you for replying :) :) :)

My 20g tank below:

Attached Files

#5 Greco

Greco

Self-Proclaimed Chelonian Ambassador

• Members Plus
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:57 PM

Ok....canister filter, got it!....wait, what kind? Is there a specific canister filter that has worked well? Are any of those Fluval filters worth it?

Also, as for my hood, they come with flourescent blubs. Am I switching those with the UV basking bulbs under the hood? Taking out the glass wont be a problem. The pic below if of my current 20g tank. Thats the UV bulb I have right now. I was thinking of having this similar setup with my 55g....screen hood and bulb on top. But if I keep the hood that came with the 55g, then I'll need those long UV bulbs that fit to screw into the hood?

I'm sorry am I making any sense?
Thank-you for replying :)  :)  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're looking for recommendations the Magnum 350 deluxe and Rena filstar XP3 canister filters are both excellent choices. You can find great prices on them at:
www.bigalsonline.com
www.4littlepets.com

Those are the best prices around
Also you may want to read the sticky ultimate filter topic below...
http://www.turtletim...?showtopic=3779

#6 GRILLCHEESE

GRILLCHEESE

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

Thank-you very much!

#7 lilturtle

lilturtle

Starting Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:57 PM

To clean your tank you can use the Python No-Spill Clean & Fill kit. I got mine at Wal-mart for like $30. The bad thing is that not all stores have them, and it says it's out of stock on Wal-mart's website.

#8 tdiii

tdiii

Normal Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:08 PM

As for hoods I would try to make what you previously had work. Maybe place the screen crossways to help it work, or buy a clip for your lamp. If you do use the hood you would need a flourescent UV tube and you would have to find a way to get a heat source. Whatever you don't use you can always sell on ebay :)

Also if you don't have the money to spring on a python you can by a $4 gravel vaccum at Walmart. I got one and it is pretty handy. The only problem with it is you siphon the water into a bucket which makes for a lot of trips to the bathroom.

I've heard that 100% water changes aren't so good because you kill the bacteria colony that help break down the wastes. I'm a little sketchy on it so if somebody else could explain the bacteria colony thing better that would be great.

#9 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:07 AM

For a 55 gallon or larger forget the python if you want something that you can use over and over that gets the job done in less time with less mihsap get a shop vac. It works a lot better and you still have this tool to use for a number of other reasons around the household.

#10 GRILLCHEESE

GRILLCHEESE

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:10 AM

Ok I did see a Python thing at my nearest Pets Mart for $30. I've been using a gravel vacuum and made several trips to the sink. I didn't find out about a Python until a week ago..I would saved so much time if I would of known sooner. I'm not sure about the shop vac, so I'll go back to Pets Mart and check it out. Is there a difference?

I'm kinda confused about the statement, "If you do use the hood you would need a flourescent UV tube and you would have to find a way to get a heat source." I dont understand. My hood comes with a regular flurescent light tube. My current tank has a basking light. Isnt a basking light a UV and heat source? I'm sorry if I'm making this complicated.

Thank-you guys so much for replying!!!

#11 twiztidfaces

twiztidfaces

Rah Rah Ra Rah!

• Members Plus
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:19 AM

some bulbs give off uvb and also emit heat, but are more expensive. i think alot of people on here use uvb bulbs for the uv side and regular household lightbulbs for the heating side. also, florescent bulbs dont give off any heat.

#12 GRILLCHEESE

GRILLCHEESE

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:40 AM

some bulbs give off uvb and also emit heat, but are more expensive. i think alot of people on here use uvb bulbs for the uv side and regular household lightbulbs for the heating side. also, florescent bulbs dont give off any heat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I should use both a UV and incandescent bulb for under my hood then, or could I just use a UV bulb and heater?

My tank came with a heater.

#13 GRILLCHEESE

GRILLCHEESE

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:17 AM

Oh wait, could I also add some fish in my tank too? I saw some turtle tanks with fish in them, like goldfish.

#14 sliderkid

sliderkid

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

UVB bulbs are using florescent tubes, not bulbs that go in your clamp lamp. They do not give UV unless they specifically say so. You can put fish in your tank but them might be eaten. Goldfish are notm good for turtles, but minnows and guppies are. A good UV tube would be the reptisun 10.

#15 sliderkid

sliderkid

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:47 PM

By the way, how much was the 55 gallon?

#16 tdiii

tdiii

Normal Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

Yes if you use the flourescent tube for UVB then you would need to also use a incandescant for heat. Mercury Vapor bulbs (which I'm guessing you have from your picture) give off both heat and UVB. The basking area needs to be 85-90 degrees were the water needs to be 75-80 degrees. So you need something to heat the air in addition to a water heater.

#17 GRILLCHEESE

GRILLCHEESE

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

By the way, how much was the 55 gallon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 55g Walmart tank was about $130, but it includes most of the basics for fishkeeping. The stand I bought also at Walmart that goes with the 55g tank is about $80. Total=roughly $240 including tax.

Now I went to Pets Mart today and saw that the Magnum Canister Filter Deluxe 350 is 170!!!!! I about died and didnt want to spend that much. So then I was looking around for the other recommended filter which was the Filstar XP3 or something, and that wasnt any better...$160! I was hoping I'd find a good filter for no more than $120 or so. I really cant order stuff online because I dont own a credit card, and I'm not old enough to get one. Another reason is because it cant wait and I need something right away. So now I ask this, could I just combine a cheaper filter with my Aqua-Tech 30-60 Power filter and kinda even it off? I really am not sure what I'm going to do.

And as for the basking/lighting part, I was thinking of keeping a hood on one side, and on the other side leave it open. The tank has two parts and came with two hoods. On the hood side I would replace the bulbs with those UVA flourescent tubes you guys talked about, or maybe thats the kind thats already in there I dont know. But I'm not sure about taking the glass or plastic thingy under the hood that blocks the UV rays. I dont know how I would do it without breaking it. It looks like its been glued on there well. But on the open side, I really dont see a screen lid to match the dimensions, so I'm just going to let free air in. And somehow I will clip the basking light on the side of my tank so that it will shine straight through with nothing blocking its path. I have this picture in my head but I dont know if everything will work out, and I also dont know if I'm just being stupid and dont know anything about turtles. I hope your not falling asleep yet, because I am. But anyways, please reply back if I make sense at all and you understand my motives. I'll take all the advice I can get.

You all will get thank-you's, tank pictures, and icon smilies when this is all over with!!
LOL

#18 tdiii

tdiii

Normal Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:48 PM

Your setup sounds good to me. My kid sisters is similar with a hood over the water area and a clip lamp over the basking site. You really only need UVB lamps over the basking area as UVB doesn't penetrate water very well. So if the hood that you are going to keep is just over the water use the flourescents that you already have and save yourself a buck.

#19 GRILLCHEESE

GRILLCHEESE

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:28 AM

Your setup sounds good to me.  My kid sisters is similar with a hood over the water area and a clip lamp over the basking site.  You really only need UVB lamps over the basking area as UVB doesn't penetrate water very well.  So if the hood that you are going to keep is just over the water use the flourescents that you already have and save yourself a buck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I use the same flourescents that are under my hood, then do I still need to remove the glass part of the hood?

And yes the basking lamp will be facing down on my basking area, not over the water.

Thank-you :)

#20 twiztidfaces

twiztidfaces

Rah Rah Ra Rah!

• Members Plus
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:24 AM

if you use the florescent bulb you already have then you don't have to remove the glass. the only reason i suggested removing the glass was in the case that you put a uv light in the fixture. i would suggest getting 2 clamp lamps: 1 for heat(regular light bulb), and 1 for a uvb bulb(just make sure the bulbs uvb not just uva)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users