Honus in Hawaii! Pics :)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 amyintexas

amyintexas

Normal Member

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Turtles (of course!), dogs, animal welfare issues, web design, computer graphics, movies, music, and traveling.

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

During my trip to O'ahu (Hawaii) this summer, I found out about a fairly unknown beach that honus (green sea turtles) are swimming up to on a daily basis. There was a conservationist there that was in charge of monitoring/tracking these turtles. I spent quite a bit of time talking to him and asking him questions. He said this was a new behavior for them to come to this partciular beach - just within the past 10 years. They come up to eat seaweed off of the rocks and to bask in the sun. Unfortunately, the guy said on occasion there are people who try to pick them up, ride them, etc... I went there two times, and on both occasions, however, people were quite respectful of the turtles. You are allowed to touch them briefly, but you can't do anything that would be considered harrassment (of course). Here are two pics of me feeding the honus seaweed (have to be careful to not let your fingers get too close! LOL)
righthttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/amyderr/turtle1.jpg[/img=right] border='0' alt='user posted image' />

righthttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/amyderr/turtle2.jpg[/img=right] border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I have been to Hawaii 4 times, and have seen numerous sea turtles while doing things like catamaran, pontoon and submarine rides. But this was my first experience seeing them sooooo close... it was an unbelievable experience!!! I wish I could share ALL of the pictures I took, but here are just a few other pics:
righthttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/amyderr/turtle3.jpg[/img=right] border='0' alt='user posted image' />

righthttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/amyderr/turtle4.jpg[/img=right] border='0' alt='user posted image' />

righthttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/amyderr/turtle5.jpg[/img=right] border='0' alt='user posted image' />

righthttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/amyderr/turtle6.jpg[/img=right] border='0' alt='user posted image' />

righthttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/amyderr/turtle7.jpg[/img=right] border='0' alt='user posted image' />

And, finally, I have been wanting to get a tattoo of a sea turtle for quite some time but didn't know *exactly* what I wanted. I was finally able to put it all together so, towards the end of this trip, I finally had it done (this is my 3rd tattoo, but by FAR my favorite):
righthttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/amyderr/turt_tat.jpg[/img=right] border='0' alt='user posted image' />

#2 Matt S.

Matt S.

Long Time Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:13 PM

Amy,
You are already a picture posting pro and a pretty good photographer. Hawaii is such a magical place...I really like your tat. Thanks for sharing everything.

#3 amyintexas

amyintexas

Normal Member

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Turtles (of course!), dogs, animal welfare issues, web design, computer graphics, movies, music, and traveling.

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Matt.

Hawaii truly is paradise on earth. I'm lucky to have my parents and sister living out there, so it is even more reason to visit! My hubby and I went there twice this year alone... :wub:

I love my tattoo... the guy did such a fabulous job on it - I get sooo many comments on it when I'm in stores, etc... It is placed above my ankle on my left leg. :)

#4 divynemsd

divynemsd

Normal Member

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:44 PM

Incredible pictures! I LOVE sea turtles. My family and I go there every year. I will have to find that beach next year. Your tattoo looks great! How bad did it hurt? :blink:

#5 jinnyretr0

jinnyretr0

Patiently awaiting a turtle of my own....

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Art and animals are my life :) I'm a sophomore at U of I, soon to be an animal sciences major. I had two great RES who are now snug as bugs in a rug at their new home with boxiegirl. I have no turtles in my possesion right now, but I still love anything that has to do with them. I am counting the days down when I am finally able to get one to keep. ^_^

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:55 PM

oh my goodness! what beauitiful photos! That must've been such an unforgettable experience! Wish I could one day be so lucky! And your tatoo is gorgeous! I looove the vivid colors, very pretty!!!

#6 amyintexas

amyintexas

Normal Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:13 PM

Honestly, getting a tattoo isn't all THAT bad... I mean, it's not the most fun thing in the world, but you really start to get use to the feeling after awhile. When I got the turtle tat done, the worst part was when he was going over the bone that "come out of" your ankle and up your leg a bit (I don't know what it's called - I am certainly no doctor! LOL)

As for the turtle beach in Oahu, it is up on the North Shore. If you are going around the island from the windward side and headed towards the North Shore, it will be about 2.5 miles from Waimea Bay, going towards Haleiwa. It is referred to as "Turtle Beach." It is such an unbelievable experience!!

#7 zerogerman

zerogerman

Follow through is the extention of your intention.

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gio (short for Giovanni). I was born in Brazil 1972. Living in the US for 8 years. I play bass and write/direct short films. I'm also a turtle lover, of course...!

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Tattoos Rock! And so do Sea Turtles! Great Pics and Post!

#8 kjtortoise

kjtortoise

Lord of the Tortoise

• Retired Moderators
  • 11,861 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:13 AM

WOW, what an experience! :o
Nice tattoo.......... ;)

#9 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the pictures we are honeymooning on Maui, Oahu and the Big Island next spring and I can't wait to do the same thing as you even though I've worked around sea turtles here in FL that just looks like such fun. Do you have any other info about the trip having been 4 times any info for me please post or PM me, thank you. [:inno]

#10 Batagur

Batagur

• Members Plus
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:18 PM

Nice pictures! It looks like you had a great time. I've worked as a turtle biologist (cheloniologist) in Hawai'i monitoring hawksbill populations in the past. The green turtle populations have exploded over the past few decades. You can see them on nearly every beach on many of the islands. Hawai'i is one of only 2 or 3 places in the world where marine turtles are known to bask on beaches.

FYI - I'm not sure what "conservationist" you where talking to, but it is completely illegal to touch any marine turtle in the state. In fact, the laws actually state that you cannot come within 20 feet of them. Trust me, I protected high traffic beaches for a long time. A fine of up to $25,000 can be imposed. But of course, what is anybody really going to do unless you are seriously harrassing one. Plus, they are absolutely everywhere now. Staying 20 feet away from them is virtually impossible if you spend any time on the beaches.

#11 mila_redfoot

mila_redfoot

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:12 PM

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S pics, Amy!
Sea turtles are definitely on of the most amazing animals on this planet...Well, I think I'm too biased to affirm that :D
I'm taking a week vacation next week and I'm heading for a place here in Brazil which is home to several species of sea turtles. I don't know if I'll be able to see some on the beach, but the people with whom we we'll dive, they told us there are very good chances of seeing them while diving, I strongly hope so [:beg]
My favorite species is the one we call here (translating it) 'Big Head' (caretta caretta
And the tattoo is simply beautiful, very well done. I've always wanted one, but never could choose a design (so many options...) :blink:

#12 amyintexas

amyintexas

Normal Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

FYI - I'm not sure what "conservationist" you where talking to, but it is completely illegal to touch any marine turtle in the state. In fact, the laws actually state that you cannot come within 20 feet of them. Trust me, I protected high traffic beaches for a long time. A fine of up to $25,000 can be imposed. But of course, what is anybody really going to do unless you are seriously harrassing one. Plus, they are absolutely everywhere now. Staying 20 feet away from them is virtually impossible if you spend any time on the beaches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard so many different things about this, that I just don't know. The conservationist works for the state and he told me that this is one of the most misunderstood laws. He said that a lot of people think that you are not allowed to touch them, but that the law actually states that you are not allowed to "harass" them. I did a bit of research on this - mostly newspaper articles - and they said the same thing. "Gentle contact" is fine.

Not at all trying to argue with you - just sharing what I was told/read. You certainly come from an expert standpoint, though, too. Is it at all possible that perhaps each island has a different law? :unsure:

#13 amyintexas

amyintexas

Normal Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

Mila -

Thanks! I hope that you will see some sea turtles on your trip to Brazil! If so, please do post some pictures when you return! Sounds like a fantastic trip!!

As for the tattoo - mine didn't come off of a wall of ideas or anything... I designed it with the tattoo artist. But, you're right, there are a lot of options! You will know when it is the right time to get one :)

#14 nifheim

nifheim

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Dagan - 3 toed female 5-7 years old<br />Aryana - 3 toed female (?) age <br />Killian - 3 toed female 20+ years <br />Corrigan - Eastern male (?) age<br /><br />Betta: TBD<br /><br />Other interests: Death, Grind, Doom Metal, hardcore music, Guinness, mountain biking, graphic design, photographs

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:53 PM

Very nice pics I want to touch a turt. Nice tatt too very colorful.

~jenn

#15 amyintexas

amyintexas

Normal Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for all the compliments guys!! :D

#16 Batagur

Batagur

• Members Plus
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:26 PM

I have heard so many different things about this, that I just don't know.  The conservationist works for the state and he told me that this is one of the most misunderstood laws.  He said that a lot of people think that you are not allowed to touch them, but that the law actually states that you are not allowed to "harass" them.  I did a bit of research on this - mostly newspaper articles - and they said the same thing.  "Gentle contact" is fine.

Not at all trying to argue with you - just sharing what I was told/read.  You certainly come from an expert standpoint, though, too.  Is it at all possible that perhaps each island has a different law?  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has nothing to do with Hawai'i's laws. All marine turtles are protected by international treaties and U.S. federal law (the endangered species act of 1973). Since Hawai'i is part of the United States it is bound by the ESA. Just as it is technically illegal to pick up a bald eagle feather anywhere in the U.S., same sort of thing applies to marine turtles.

But like I said, this stuff is rarely enforced unless some sort of exploitation is taking place.

#17 mi2tom

mi2tom

Starting Member

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, animals and music (no music, no life)

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

Nice pics and [:kewl] and great tattoo

#18 Jewls

Jewls

• Members Standard
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:11 PM

You are truly lucky to have such a wonderful experience. I could only image how awesome that would be. Thanks for sending the pics, I really enjoyed them. And nice tat, did you design that yourself, it is very beautiful.

#19 amyintexas

amyintexas

Normal Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:26 PM

I designed it in my head - articulated it to the artist - and then he actually drew it (I can't draw worth a dang -- heck, I can't even make a stick figure look right. LOL). We worked on it together - he really turned my vision into a reality.

Thanks for the compliments!

#20 JimmyPageGG

JimmyPageGG

Starting Member

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computers, games and of course my two turtles (gir-RET and Obi-WPT)

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:41 AM

It has nothing to do with Hawai'i's laws. All marine turtles are protected by international treaties and U.S. federal law (the endangered species act of 1973). Since Hawai'i is part of the United States it is bound by the ESA. Just as it is technically illegal to pick up a bald eagle feather anywhere in the U.S., same sort of thing applies to marine turtles.

But like I said, this stuff is rarely enforced unless some sort of exploitation is taking place.

Yeah I live close to a black sands beach where turtles come to the shallow waters, they have signs posted all over the place telling you not to touch them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users