• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kappa

kappa

New User

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

I recently got a hatchling sulcata. He trots around and acts pretty happy most of the time, but I swear sometimes he squeaks. Someitmes it sounds kind of like a meow, but mostly like a squeak. It kind of sounds like pinching a baloon and slowly letting air out of it. At first I thought he might be farting, but I think he's too small to make a noise that loud.

Whats is going on here?
I didn't think turtles made any noises, let alone squeak, lol.

#2 Wiggles

Wiggles

• Members Plus
  • 1,442 posts
  • Interests:RC Jets, Computers, Web design, camping & fishing and of course turtles & tortoises.

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:27 PM

Both of mine make little squeaking noise but usually when they are getting a soaking. I think it's just water getting in the nose or something. I mentioned it to the vet when they had their checkup and she said it's nothing.

#3 BirdLady68

BirdLady68

I should be banned

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Animals, movies, music, Lord of the Rings, Christian, etc

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:30 PM

Some of my tortoises have done that ... it's usually if I surprise them and they draw their head back quickly. It's probably just air going in or out their nostrils or other airways. Kinda like how humpback whales sing by passing air through their lungs and air passages except air isn't released.

#4 kappa

kappa

New User

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

He'll make a huffing noise if he gets scared of a sudden movement or something.
The squeak is different though. It doesn't happen when soaking, either.

I don't know whats up with it, lol.

#5 JessicaTS

JessicaTS

Lil'Spotty

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Marine biology<br /><br />Lynn University and University of Tampa<br /><br />Goal - to make my own turtle and tortoise caresheets / Become a marine/herpetology biologist<br /><br />Favorite song - So Fly by Akon<br />Favorite movie - Ladder 49

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

The huffing noise is him hissing. Hissing occurs when he suddnely tucks all his limbs in, passing out the air in his lungs which makes the sound. I have heard my leopard tort squeak on occasion, nothing much to be worried about.

#6 Lowe

Lowe

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:43 PM

Our Redfoots quack. :D

Nothing to worry about :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users