• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The TurtleStore

The TurtleStore

www.TheTurtleStore.com

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:31 PM

I am building an enclosure for the turtles...and to prevent a rebuild every season, I was going to seal it. My turtles don't "chew" on anything, and the enclsure will be sealed & dried long enough to fully cure before they go in it, but I just wanted to check with the group and see your thoughts....

The pics of the progress are HERE

#2 BarbReader

BarbReader

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Interests:I own a male cooter, I think he is a river cooter from the donut shapes on his hinges. I got him on December 25, 1959, when I was four years old and he was a hatchling! I love him totally!

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:08 AM

This is neither a safe nor appropriate product for this use.

Instead, find a boating store (if you are inland, I think West Marine has a website, I buy from them) and seal it with boating sealant. It is more durable and made to be placed underwater and exposed to animals and plants.

#3 The TurtleStore

The TurtleStore

www.TheTurtleStore.com

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:09 AM

Not trying to be argumentative here Barb, but I'm curious. Is the decking in contact with their plastron gonig to cause the problem? I'm not sealing the tubs or anything...mainly it's the outside of the habitat & the lid...things they can't contact. The only portion they will contact is the "basking deck". It's water-based, and says non-toxic/safe for children (after posting I re-read the bottle...it doesn't say non-toxic but none of the ones from West marine do either).

The oils & finishes from West Marine says its a shipping hazard...I don't feel comfortable with that...am I looking at the wrong stuff?

Edited by The TurtleStore, 27 November 2005 - 09:15 AM.

#4 The TurtleStore

The TurtleStore

www.TheTurtleStore.com

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:25 AM

Thompsons bottle says: "This water-based waterproofer offers easy soap and water clean-up, is generally low odor and is environmentally safe." Just FYI...I need to get this done this morning if I am going to do it. I'm basically looking for safe alternatives, or someone that's used this stuff successfully.

#5 Andy's Auto

Andy's Auto

One Defenseless Avatar

• Retired Moderators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

Scott,Thompsons will do great at keeping the wood fresh for years to come.It is non toxic.

#6 The TurtleStore

The TurtleStore

www.TheTurtleStore.com

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:57 AM

Scott,Thompsons will do great at keeping the wood fresh for years to come.It is non toxic.

Thanks Andy...going to seal it now...pics will be posted in the outdoor habitat gallery when complete. FYI, for those interested, I have a parts/materials list, and pics posted of the progress along the way.

#7 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:09 AM

;) Yep. Great for the torrential downpours we've had in Florida for a couple seasons. :)

#8 The TurtleStore

The TurtleStore

www.TheTurtleStore.com

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:25 AM

;) Yep. Great for the torrential downpours we've had in Florida for a couple seasons. :)

Thanks Lisa! Pics are posted: HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users