Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 turtlemoon617

turtlemoon617

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I love anything to do with nature. I love the water, the stars and the moon. I read tarot cards. I love to watch movies with my husband. We are both Star Wars fans. Family is very important to me.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

Does anyone have any links or sites they know of that sells the fruit of the cactus. I get the cactus pads from Carolina Pet Supply and they are great. But I dont know where to get the fruit. Any information would be helpful
Thanks as always,
Diane

#2 egyptiandan

egyptiandan

On Tortoise Overload

• Members Plus
  • 2,406 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises and Turtles

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

These guys carry the fruit, but they are out right now.
http://www.turtlestu...p?shop=1&cat=22

#3 Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:I've become a complete fan of turtles after getting our first turtle a year or so ago. Unfortunately that turtle didn't make it and I have had to opportunity to explore and find out what we really like. I currently have 1.1 Eastern Hermanns tortoises and we love them to death! <br />As far as my other interests, I'm a computer geekette, love to go flea marketing and most importantly hanging out with my family.
  • Last Blog Entry:
  • One bad egg, another still cooking..more to come?

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

Does anyone have any links or sites they know of that sells the fruit of the cactus. I get the cactus pads from Carolina Pet Supply and they are great. But I dont know where to get the fruit. Any information would be helpful
Thanks as always,
Diane

I haven't seen the fruit but I know you can buy the cactus pads on ebay, I bought a box of gosh I think 10 more or less for less than $12 including shipping and this was the thornless kind though they still have some stickies on them. Anyway, I noticed today that the ones that I have planted now have roots and are growing plant life so you can always buy them and grow them yourself. I have mine in a 5 gal. fish tank with sand and soil in it, I plan to replant them outside once its warm enough.

My russians love the pads!!

#4 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:38 AM

The pads? Turtle Cafe has it sometimes and you can get it in ethnic food section of your grocer. The cactus fruites? At most retail pet stores. :)

#5 LV426

LV426

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:30 AM

I get the fruit and pads at the organic food store but they don't always have the fruits. Watch out though, you need to peel the fruit very carefully because the fruits have tiny stickers on them that are evil. Everytime I get them I end up with my fingers full of thorns. They are very very small and you won't even know they are there until you feel pain.

#6 boxiegirl

boxiegirl

I am consistently inconsistent!

• Members
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, tortoises, turtles, tortoises, my children, my husband, trail riding, and just about anyother critter with a pulse, excluding spiders and bugs.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

Our local grocery store sells the fruit, but I tried using it once and it seemed to be allllll seeds. I didn't know if it was good for them or not.

#7 LV426

LV426

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

The seeds don't hurt them. They are small and round and what don't get digested pass on through.

#8 shelledfriends

shelledfriends

Its not about me.

• Members Plus
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:Turtles and Tortoises...and recently snakes (yikes).

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:43 PM

Quick question for those of you who grow cactus pad, how many new pads do you get each year?

Michael

#9 Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:I've become a complete fan of turtles after getting our first turtle a year or so ago. Unfortunately that turtle didn't make it and I have had to opportunity to explore and find out what we really like. I currently have 1.1 Eastern Hermanns tortoises and we love them to death! <br />As far as my other interests, I'm a computer geekette, love to go flea marketing and most importantly hanging out with my family.
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

Quick question for those of you who grow cactus pad, how many new pads do you get each year?

Michael

Hi Michael,

This is the first time I have ever even tried to grow them, only got interested in them after getting my russians...hopefully someone with expernience can help you soon!

#10 turtlemoon617

turtlemoon617

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I love anything to do with nature. I love the water, the stars and the moon. I read tarot cards. I love to watch movies with my husband. We are both Star Wars fans. Family is very important to me.

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

Hello my wonderful Tortoise family.
Lo and behold I actually found the cactus fruit at my local grocery store while buying organic greens for the kids!!! I only bought one as I wasnt sure how they would like it. I bought the reddest one I could find in the basket, they didnt have too many!!! So how do I feed it? I know I have to peel it but how often can I feed it to them. I hope they like it. I also bought them some edible flowers I found in the organic section. I hope they like all these new treats.
Thanks as always,
Diane

#11 Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

Hello my wonderful Tortoise family.
Lo and behold I actually found the cactus fruit at my local grocery store while buying organic greens for the kids!!! I only bought one as I wasnt sure how they would like it. I bought the reddest one I could find in the basket, they didnt have too many!!! So how do I feed it? I know I have to peel it but how often can I feed it to them. I hope they like it. I also bought them some edible flowers I found in the organic section. I hope they like all these new treats.
Thanks as always,
Diane

Did you go to a well known grocer? I have a hard time finding most anything at my nearby Krogers although sometimes I do get lucky at the Meijers. I don't know anything about the flowers but the pads I just cut up real good. What kind of deible flowers did you find? I found some Orchids the other day and they seemed to really like them, I hope this is ok...I haven't heard anything bad about them other than not to give them the leaves or stems.

#12 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

Michael

I sort of borrow them because I can't get them to grow no matter how hard I do try.

#13 el tortuga

el tortuga

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • Interests:Fine art Metalsmithing, reading, turtles.

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:42 PM

Opuntia, prickly pear, grow best in warm dry climates. They don't like wet feet. You should be able to grow them in Florida just fine in a very large clay pot with a mix of gravel and a little soil. They do not need a rich soil but it has to drain well. No standing water for these plants. The number of pads you can harvest depends on the size of the plant of course. If you have a plant in a five gallon pot you will be able to get maybe threes to five new pads a year. If you have a plant that is twenty by ten feet you will be able to harvest a couple of bushels off of the patch. The plants bloom in the spring and it takes all summer for them to mature and then in August or September the start turning red,purple or yellow depending on the species. The only time of year I feed the fruit is in the fall when it is ripe as that is the only time they would get it if they were wild. By the way cactus are a New World plant only so a Russian tortoise wouldn't come across it in the wilds of Central Asia, only in America. The seeds don't hurt the tortoise in any way. They pass right on through and are helped by the digestive tract to sprout so if you have the tortoise in your yard you should have a steady supply of cactus sprouts in your lawn in no time. Watch those bare feet. I do not pick, pluck or otherwise do anything to remove the small stickers from the pads. I feed them as is and I have not seen any problems. The pads that you buy in the supermarket are not suitable for starting new plants most of the time because they are so new. More mature pads are better if you can get the. Place in slightly moist soil and let nature take it's course and in about six weeks it should be rooted.

#14 Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

Opuntia, prickly pear, grow best in warm dry climates. They don't like wet feet. You should be able to grow them in Florida just fine in a very large clay pot with a mix of gravel and a little soil. They do not need a rich soil but it has to drain well. No standing water for these plants. The number of pads you can harvest depends on the size of the plant of course. If you have a plant in a five gallon pot you will be able to get maybe threes to five new pads a year. If you have a plant that is twenty by ten feet you will be able to harvest a couple of bushels off of the patch. The plants bloom in the spring and it takes all summer for them to mature and then in August or September the start turning red,purple or yellow depending on the species. The only time of year I feed the fruit is in the fall when it is ripe as that is the only time they would get it if they were wild. By the way cactus are a New World plant only so a Russian tortoise wouldn't come across it in the wilds of Central Asia, only in America. The seeds don't hurt the tortoise in any way. They pass right on through and are helped by the digestive tract to sprout so if you have the tortoise in your yard you should have a steady supply of cactus sprouts in your lawn in no time. Watch those bare feet. I do not pick, pluck or otherwise do anything to remove the small stickers from the pads. I feed them as is and I have not seen any problems. The pads that you buy in the supermarket are not suitable for starting new plants most of the time because they are so new. More mature pads are better if you can get the. Place in slightly moist soil and let nature take it's course and in about six weeks it should be rooted.

The pads I got I actually got off ebay from this auction: cactus pads

I got a huge bunch of cactus pads, I gave a few away, fed some to my torts, and have planted 3 now and they all have roots...if you want them its worth a try. He doesn't have any auctions up with them right now but he always has them up, you might try contacting him and seeing if he has any. Also, if more than one person live in the same area it would be a good idea to maybe split to lot and save $$$!

#15 el tortuga

el tortuga

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • Interests:Fine art Metalsmithing, reading, turtles.

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:14 PM

There are species that have even less spines then that. Be on the lookout for them. Some folks wear rubber gloves when peeling the spines off so they don't get in your skin. Use Scotch tape or other very sticky tape to pull out the tiny spine from your skin. A tip from Cheri(IMAFUNGAL) since her son bumped into a cholla at my house and got an arm full of spines. :o

#16 nat_the_brat

nat_the_brat

The Pumpkin Queen

• Members Plus
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

believe it or not I actually found a garden supplier that sells opuntia cactus that are hardy for outdoors.... and I live in freaking canada. That's right.... I have an opuntia cactus outside right now and its freaking snowing ha ha. I am sorry, I am just so amazed at the whole ordeal. lol It was like the ultimate treasure hunt for me for two years and yesterday I went into the new garden shop and there was a whole table of various spinless opuntia cactus for sale, hardy enough for canada. wild huh ? I just have to find a place to keep it dry, as it can take -18'C temps but hates being wet. So we shall see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users