The Ultimate Digital Camera Topic -- Please review

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 BarbReader

BarbReader

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Interests:I own a male cooter, I think he is a river cooter from the donut shapes on his hinges. I got him on December 25, 1959, when I was four years old and he was a hatchling! I love him totally!

Posted 30 October 2002 - 09:18 AM

Well, I'm in the market to buy a digital camera. I've seen some great pictures at this site, and have read some comments by some of the photographers about their cameras. I was all ready to buy an Olympus 4000 when I read a PC Magazine review of other Olympus cameras which said they had inaccurate viewfinders, especially when zooming. I have no idea if this is true of the Olympus 4000, but it got me worried.

I'm sure I'm not the only person at this website who looks enviously at the beautiful pictures in the photo contests. And I'd love to take pictures of my Timmy in digital format. I took a bunch of polaroids, and true to form, now that I have a good color scanner, I can't find them anywhere. I don't really want to take more polariods. I want to go digital.

So I am asking that each of you post your experience with your cameras, and why you chose the one you chose. If possible, a price range would be nice.

PC Mag talked about how fuzzy the pictures were (4000 megapixals requires a lens which can get a clear picture to that degree; detail takes more than pixals.) How accurate the viewfinders were, how good the batteries were, and how many pictures you therefore, could take in a day on the road with the camera, (you can use more than one card), ease of use, cost of upgrading, availabiltiy of zoom and closeups (how close can it focus?).

Anyway, I'm also interested in whatever it is you think is important. Color correctness. How it handles glare. Whatever you think is important.

#2 Bobbie

Bobbie

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:00 AM

I don't know what the current price range is but my Olympus 2000 does have an inaccurate viewfinder. When it matters, i.e. for closeups, I use the display to make sure I'm in the right place. Maybe they have fixed this, though. One nice thing about digitals is that you can go to a store and actually take pictures and see the results before you buy.

#3 Kara9080

Kara9080

Normal Member

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Mom to a now 6" RES. I can't learn enough about him. I also love to share my knowledge too!

Posted 30 October 2002 - 01:19 PM

I loved this site:
http://www.dcresource.com

#4 Tortus32

Tortus32

Retired Moderator

• Retired Moderators
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:I'm a graphic designer / photographer working for Billboard magazine in NYC and for the advertising department of 6th Ave Electronics in NJ. I have loved eastern box turtles and turtles in general all my life. I'm married with 2 kids with no more on the w

Posted 30 October 2002 - 01:39 PM

What do the mean exactly by inaccurate?
I know that in 90% of cameras, digital or film, the viewfinder often shows only 90% of what you get in your final picture. This is just a safeguard to help prevent cutting off people's heads and such. I have an Olympus E10 and it does this. To compensate, I just fill the viewfinder with the subject a little more than normal. But since it's digital, I can review my shot right away and re-shoot if needed, unlike a film camera where such experiments can be done, but you won't find out the results until you get the film developed.

I think for us turtle/tortoise people, the 3 main features to look for are:
Macro mode
Auto/Manual focus (for through-the-glass shots)
White Balance Settings (for house lights and florescent lighting situations)

Then there's the old Mega Pixel (MP) issue.
If you're just going to post on the web, a 1.5 Mega Pixel is fine.
If you want to make nice prints, anything over 2.5 MP is good, the more the better depending on your budget.

I work in the advertising department of 6th Ave Electronics in NJ, so I get to play around with stuff like the cameras. I have found that on most digital cameras, the built-in flash is no good in macro mode. It usually washes out the picture to almost a complete white. So try to use available light in macro mode, such as a lamp or a big window, or better yet - outside.

Another good general photography tip:
If you're shooting outdoors, try to take pics on bright overcast days.
Bright sunshine can be nice, but it creates harsh shadows that rob the picture of detail. Clouds are like natures light boxes and disperses light everywhere. Just look around on an overcast day and you'll notice how the under sides of things are more visible than on a bright sunny day.

Ok, back to the subject!

I like my Olympus E10 because:
Nice big wide lens - superior optics.
2 card slots to use 2 kinds of cards: Compact Flash and Smart Media
USB Connectivity to my Mac G4
Excellent Macro mode, I opted for the optional Macro lens attachment as well
Uses plain old AA batteries in a pinch, I also bought the add-on lithium battery pack/vertical grip
LCD Screen pops out and tilts up so I can hold at waist level or lay it on the ground and still be able to look at the screen.
Center weighted spot focusing option.
Completely auto or completely manual mode, including shutter speed and f stop control.

Ok, I went on long enough!
The camera is loaded with features - enough said!

Best of luck,
Bill Tracy [icon_smile.gif

#5 MichaelT

MichaelT

• Retired Moderators
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:I am 29 years old, married to a turtle convert. I have seven turtles: a cooter, 3 African Helmeted Sidenecks and 3 Four-Eyed Turtles.

Posted 31 October 2002 - 01:54 AM

I am using the Olympus C4000 Zoom. The viewfinder isn't perfect, but I only noticed the problem in MACRO mode. Also its adjustable and I haven't figured out how to adjust it. When shooting closeup, I tend to use the LCD screen because it is actually displaying what the photo sensor sees, not the approxiamation from the viewfinder. For snapshots and the like, the view is fine. I think that with the price to feature comparison at the 500 dollar range nothing is better. The camera is real easy to use, and if you eant to spend the time you can program preset "modes" so you don't have to change the settings all the time for different shooting environments. If I had the money, I'd be all over Bill's camera but the c4000 works great...

#6 EvanD

EvanD

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 06:20 AM

Hey all,
I am considering buying the Olympus D-550 3 megapixel. is it any good.

#7 Bobbie

Bobbie

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 07:24 AM

I'm with Michael. The viewfinder is a problem mainly with Macro. It isn't that it crops the picture, but it doesn't have the center right.

On the other hand, I almost never use flash. Available light is almost always sufficient. The only exception is a backlit subject. Digital cameras are super for using available light.

#8 Tyler M.

Tyler M.

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Global Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:I grew interested in turtles when I was a kid living close to the everglades. I have kept turtles ever since.
    I work with computers, and enjoy the simplicity and purpose my turtles bring in a life that is all too much haste!

Posted 01 November 2002 - 09:55 AM

I have used the Epson Photo 750 and 850
I have used the Kodak 3400, Kodak 290
I have used the Olympus 2000, 3000, 4000
I have used the Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, 995
I have used the new Canon G2
[url="http://"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Q5U5/qid=1036170031/turtletimesrefer"]Posted Image[/url]
I have the Nikon Coolpix 4500 which is like the 995 with improvements.
[url="http://"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069096/qid=1036169901/turtletimesrefer"]Posted Image[/url]
I like the Nikons for the twistable body, and the super close macro, but now that the Canon G2, Olympus E10, and the New Nikon 5mp all have the new flip out screen that can tilt, I am more incline to go with them in the future, the Nikon 4500 is excellent, but they have a more traditional look. Although I get a kick out of the Nikon's look.

IF your new to digital cameras, I think Kodak makes some very easy to use cameras, if you have been using an SLR camera with appatures and fStops then the Canon G2, Olypmus E10 and Nikon 4500 or the 5mp version are great beats. Although to some degree they are all easy to use, the later models have the extras, and the ability to buy lenses... have you ever bought an additional lens? Then perhaps a Kodak 3400 would be a good camera. I was pretty impressed with it.
Posted Image

I kind of feel they were all pretty good cameras, newer is always better, and Bill is right, 2mp is a good balance for web and basic prints.

More is always better, but I get some pretty nice 5x7s out of the old Olympus 2000 which is a 2mp camera.

Here is a picture of Bill's Camera
[url="http://"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000051TOG/qid=1036170137/turtletimesrefer"]Posted Image[/url]

#9 EvanD

EvanD

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 04:32 PM

i plan on getting a new fuji finepix a303. Is it any good. is fuji good in general. it has great macro range in 3.9" to 31.2". i found it for $234.00. retail is $349.99. it is 3.34 megapixels.

#10 EvanD

EvanD

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:09 PM

weel now i am leaning toward the finepix 3800. it is much better than the one i mentioned above. more costly too though.

#11 BarbReader

BarbReader

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Interests:I own a male cooter, I think he is a river cooter from the donut shapes on his hinges. I got him on December 25, 1959, when I was four years old and he was a hatchling! I love him totally!

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:58 PM

I'm eating all this up. Please, knowledgable folk, keep it coming!

#12 JJ

JJ

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 03:02 AM

I'm understanding more from you and from reseraching websites... but it looks like you guys all have great and EXPENSIVE cameras. I'm looking for a more economical one. I realise you pay for what you get for, but what you you recommend for a starter. Any suggestions...

Cheers,
JJ [icon_smile_wink.gif

#13 EvanD

EvanD

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 10:06 AM

Hey JJ,
I think i am going to get a fuji finepix 5650. it is 2 megapixel. it has great macro and i found it for $155.00. I have read several reviews on it and they all said it was a great buy.

#14 EvanD

EvanD

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 10:38 AM

oops JJ i meant the fuji finepix 2650. there is no 5650.

#15 PATMAN

PATMAN

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:Turtles and Torts of course! Photgraphy, genealogy, travel, nature & wildlife.

Posted 02 November 2002 - 11:57 AM

Like Tyler I use a Nikon, my model is the Coolpix 995. It was a bit pricey at about $400 on Ebay but it has a great macro mode to take close ups like this shot of my hatchling Gulf Coast box turtle "Spunky" next to a quarter.

Posted Image

#16 EvanD

EvanD

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 12:17 PM

JJ here are some links to reviews on the fuji finepix 2600 which is just like the 2650, except the 2600 uses smart media and the 2650 uses the new smaller xd cards. TRY http://www.dcresourc...view/index.html and http://www.steves-di...s/fuji2600.html

#17 EvanD

EvanD

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 03:32 PM

oh JJ theplace that i am buying from does except international orders. It is http://www.buydig.com[icon_smile_big.gif

#18 bgscofield6

bgscofield6

Normal Member

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 01:19 AM

Another site you guys may not know about is http://www.pricewatch.com/ It's my fav for finding cheap stuff online. Whenever I go there, it makes me want to get all kinds of new things.

Brian

#19 EvanD

EvanD

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 06:50 AM

i use www.dealtime.com and www.bizrate.com .

#20 JJ

JJ

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 05:29 AM

Thanks Evan for the links... you're awesome. I am trying to finf something affordable and a beginner camera. I think the ones you suggested fits that bill. Thanks again.

Cheers,
JJ [icon_smile_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users