• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 TMNTmomma

TMNTmomma

Normal Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

oh my, now im in trouble, just when i thought was ok with RES :lol: :lol: ... NOW, it looks like thanks to your easy, cheap setup, i just may have to get a Box turtle, my son sees them at PetCo, everytime i go shopping, he is always asking for one.. im just not sure on their care like space,lights food and such, so, alas i may just have to wait, i am still in the process in asking my hubby for my upgrade and some more reptiles LOL, so, maybe i will wait.

but looks greeeat !

#22 Iluvemturts

Iluvemturts

Has the fever for more ink

• Members Plus
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:turts and torts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

LOL turtles are addictive ...

Thanks ;)

#23 Bullet

Bullet

Starting Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:39 AM

I used a tote thing from Walmart. I cut a square in the top and my hub attached a light strip to the cover. We added the dirt, seeds, water dish and turts. All is happy. The 2 female boxies I got that were sick are doing much better and are loving the humidity as they did not have it befor.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

How are you keeping the humidity up. I have been struggling to get my tank up to 60%. I mist like 5 times a day. I hope where Ninja burrows the level is more around 80.

#24 halfnelson

halfnelson

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

I use humidity boxes, plastic boxes stuffed with damp moss that have a opening cut in the side. Humidity inside the box is over 80 per cent. To safe space my new terrariums are stacked like a triple bunk bed, each enclosure 24"X60". I'll post the pictures once I figure out how.

#25 Iluvemturts

Iluvemturts

Has the fever for more ink

• Members Plus
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:turts and torts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

I had no problems with humidity. I sprayed it everyday and then put the lid back down . I also sprayed the walls. I used a pestiside pump sprayer, I bought it brand new and labled it WATER ONLY. Pump it a few times and it worked slick. :)

#26 jinx.13

jinx.13

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:animals, photography, writing, bellydance

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:25 PM

I used a tote thing from Walmart. I cut a square in the top and my hub attached a light strip to the cover. We added the dirt, seeds, water dish and turts. All is happy. The 2 female boxies I got that were sick are doing much better and are loving the humidity as they did not have it befor.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

May I ask a question about this setup? I have a 3-toed box turtle and I've been running into a lot of problems trying to create the right habitat. This weekend I again redid her tank (currently in a 45 gallon breeder tank) with organic topsoil, and peat moss. But I'm still having trouble getting the humidity correct. No matter what I do, it keeps going too low.

I have half of the screen top covered with aluminum foil and duct tape.....I have a heat light, a UVB bulb and a red light for night time.

Would this setup help with the humidity issue? Or would there be any way to adapt my tank to create similar conditions?

Withe the opaque top, how are you able to view your boxies?

Is there any danger of the lights being too CLOSE to the boxies? or of them melting the plastic? (Bear in mind, my life is literally controlled by Murphy's Law.....and I don't want anything to happen to Sasha).

It's a beautiful setup.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

#27 Otrebor98

Otrebor98

Starting Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

cool setup that will realy work:))

#28 Otrebor98

Otrebor98

Starting Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

hello i have a prolem i have a rubber maid tub w/ top soil and 3 turtles livin in it. it is realy small because it is tall and not wide. and thy have about a 2fx2f tub. and i realy hate to see them try to get out. :))

#29 Otrebor98

Otrebor98

Starting Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

cool that will realy work

#30 SliderAngels

SliderAngels

• Members Plus
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Turtle Breeding, Meeting turtle owners, Atlanta Braves Baseball, Having fun, 'Recent' Old School Videogames (PS2), and most of all, God the father, the son, and the holy spirit

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

Those 3 setups plus one other are in my livingroom. We're doing some kitchen renovations and so the 3 other set ups are in a spare bedroom, then my 150 gal. stock tank for wilma is in my downstairs living room. LOL I have tanks everywhere. regular old zoo.......lol ya wanna come visit lol

That must be one big living room you have then. 3 Setups in the livingroom. Holy crap.

By the way your boxies must be loving you now.

#31 Shaida C

Shaida C

it's pronounced Shy-da

• Members Plus
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Somebody.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

That must be one big living room you have then. 3 Setups in the livingroom. Holy crap.

By the way your boxies must be loving you now.

:lol: I have 4 set up in my room and one of them includes a waterlandtub

Anyway, thats a cool enclosure. Right now I keep my EBT's inside. They're much too small and the temps. are dropping at night here for me to keep them outside right now. Once it's warm enough for my baby tortoises to go back into the porch I definitely have a great idea for my EBT's thanks to the pictures I saw.

#32 txshowgirl

txshowgirl

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What kind of dirt and seeds did you use?
Im new to the box turtle and i've had mine for almost 2 years and im just trying to keep her happy as she grows up. :)

#33 turtlemann

turtlemann

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

What kind of dirt and seeds did you use?
Im new to the box turtle and i've had mine for almost 2 years and im just trying to keep her happy as she grows up. :)

go out and buy a bag of bird seed and mix it all around in the enclosure they sprout and are good eatin and they add a good cheep way to keep plants growing then dig up some regular old grass and dandelions put them in there and that will keep any box turtle happy

#34 BeckyBWfan

BeckyBWfan

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I like going to the mall, alot.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

cool. I don't think I'd be able to make my own habitat setup. I'm either going to have to ask someone to do it for me or buy one. sad huh. Does everyone here make their own setups??

#35 Fenris

Fenris

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

Just made this for my box turtle Crash. I took him in because his shell is cracked. Never owned a turtle before. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

• turtle_009.jpg

#36 TerryO

TerryO

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Ponds, water turtles, Cherry head tortoise, gardening, boxies, chihuahua's and yorkies
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

Most box turtles come from wooded areas. The sun is filtered through the trees and there is lots of leaf litter. When my boxies have to come inside for the winter (if they are too young to hibernate) I just try to mimic their natural habitat. I put a heat emitter on one side (only heat ..no light) and on the other side a long tube 5.0 UVB which is on top of a screen to filter out the light. For substrate I use organic soil mixed with peat moss and on top of that I add some Forest Floor, by Zoo Med. I add lots of plants to keep in the humidity and mist once a day (just the plants) On top of this I add lots of leaf litter with some green reptile moss. All this really holds in the humidity without making the substrate wet, which would cause shell fungus. I have tried many enclosures for indoors and nothing worked for me but a large vivarium. I also use the Christmas tree storage bin for small boxies. I really don't use a hide, I just put lots of leaf litter and moss on the side with the heat emitter. Through the years I've changed things, but this is what works for me now, when they're in side for the winter.

This is my Three Toed
Posted Image

This is my little Eastern
Posted Image

#37 ScutesMom

ScutesMom

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:North American box turtles
    Rescue turtles
    Indoor setups / turtle tables

Pets:
    1 18-year old 3-toed box turtle
    2 cats
    1 young Kingsnake
    1 praying mantis (passed away peacefully Feb 2010)

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

[quote name='TerryO' date='17 September 2009 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1253246252' post='553472']
Most box turtles come from wooded areas. The sun is filtered through the trees and there is lots of leaf litter. When my boxies have to come inside for the winter (if they are too young to hibernate) I just try to mimic their natural habitat. I put a heat emitter on one side (only heat ..no light) and on the other side a long tube 5.0 UVB which is on top of a screen to filter out the light. For substrate I use organic soil mixed with peat moss and on top of that I add some Forest Floor, by Zoo Med. I add lots of plants to keep in the humidity and mist once a day (just the plants) On top of this I add lots of leaf litter with some green reptile moss. All this really holds in the humidity without making the substrate wet, which would cause shell fungus. I have tried many enclosures for indoors and nothing worked for me but a large vivarium. I also use the Christmas tree storage bin for small boxies. I really don't use a hide, I just put lots of leaf litter and moss on the side with the heat emitter. Through the years I've changed things, but this is what works for me now, when they're in side for the winter.

Your habitat looks amazing! How big is your vivarium? Do you have to clean it out very often, or does the organic matter kind of replenish & clean itself? And do you put in free-roaming worms for your turtles to hunt? I recently adopted a 3-toed - she came with a 70-gallon aquarium & her former owners used dry coconut husk for substrate, which they misted occasionally. I've upgraded her substrate to a piece of Zoomed carpeting with damp spaghnum on top - enough for her to burrow into. Her first act in the new substrate was to literally prostrate herself on it, all legs sticking straight out, front and back, and just lying on the soft damp surface! (FYI, she's missing a leg - was a rescue turtle 15 years ago, and the vet estimates she's about 18 years old). I wash the carpet & change the moss out weekly, which is getting kind of expensive! I love the idea of a living ecosystem for her, since she's not a great candidate for outdoor living, with 3 legs and MBD.

#38 TerryO

TerryO

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Ponds, water turtles, Cherry head tortoise, gardening, boxies, chihuahua's and yorkies
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

Thank you. I see this old thread came to life again. lol I have a few indoor vivariums for the little boxies that are too small to hibernate outside yet. I have a Three Toed hatchling in a small 20 gal. tank, who only comes out to eat every day and then just digs under for the est of the day. One side is the water dish with frog moss around it to keep it clean, and to separate that side a flat log and on the other side a lot of leaf litter and compost for her to dig under, with one plant so she can sit under if she wants to. The plant and the frog moss keep the viv humid, and the 60 day glo light keeps it warm with some UVB. In the Spring I will up-grade her. The only cleaning I do is change the water in the AM, and water the plant and mist the frog moss. I throw in some pill bugs in the leaf litter, which she digs for.
Posted Image
The three year old Three Toed is in a 30 gal. planted viv. A heat emitter on one side and a long tube 5.0 for a 10 gal on the other side. Frog moss around the water dish, and some plants and leaf litter on the other side. No hide. I throw in some night crawlers and pill bugs for her to dig for also. I never have to clean the viv. Just change the water. She usually comes out in the AM and eats (a mix of soaked mazuri with chopped greens and fruit) and then sits in the water dish and poops in there.
The little year old Eastern is set up the same way in a 30 gal viv.
I like the planted viv because you don't have to clean it often. I only change everything in the fall when I bring them in. I put their food in a little dish and after they eat I take the dish out. Sometimes during the day I will see them diging for pill bugs or worms.
A living ecosystem works for me for my boxies when they are inside, as there is really no work as far as cleaning goes.
I also have my Tortoise in a 75 gal vivarium. He's a Cherry Head and needs the same habitat as the boxies..warm...humid...low light. Everyone goes outside for the summer.
My Cherry Head:
Posted Image

Little Three Toed:
Posted Image

Eastern:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I hope this will help you.

#39 ScutesMom

ScutesMom

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:North American box turtles
    Rescue turtles
    Indoor setups / turtle tables

Pets:
    1 18-year old 3-toed box turtle
    2 cats
    1 young Kingsnake
    1 praying mantis (passed away peacefully Feb 2010)

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

Thank you. I see this old thread came to life again. lol I have a few indoor vivariums for the little boxies that are too small to hibernate outside yet. I have a Three Toed hatchling in a small 20 gal. tank, who only comes out to eat every day and then just digs under for the est of the day. One side is the water dish with frog moss around it to keep it clean, and to separate that side a flat log and on the other side a lot of leaf litter and compost for her to dig under, with one plant so she can sit under if she wants to. The plant and the frog moss keep the viv humid, and the 60 day glo light keeps it warm with some UVB. In the Spring I will up-grade her. The only cleaning I do is change the water in the AM, and water the plant and mist the frog moss. I throw in some pill bugs in the leaf litter, which she digs for.
Posted Image
The three year old Three Toed is in a 30 gal. planted viv. A heat emitter on one side and a long tube 5.0 for a 10 gal on the other side. Frog moss around the water dish, and some plants and leaf litter on the other side. No hide. I throw in some night crawlers and pill bugs for her to dig for also. I never have to clean the viv. Just change the water. She usually comes out in the AM and eats (a mix of soaked mazuri with chopped greens and fruit) and then sits in the water dish and poops in there.
The little year old Eastern is set up the same way in a 30 gal viv.
I like the planted viv because you don't have to clean it often. I only change everything in the fall when I bring them in. I put their food in a little dish and after they eat I take the dish out. Sometimes during the day I will see them diging for pill bugs or worms.
A living ecosystem works for me for my boxies when they are inside, as there is really no work as far as cleaning goes.
I also have my Tortoise in a 75 gal vivarium. He's a Cherry Head and needs the same habitat as the boxies..warm...humid...low light. Everyone goes outside for the summer.
My Cherry Head:
Posted Image

Little Three Toed:
Posted Image

Eastern:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I hope this will help you.

This is very helpful! Thank you. I am going to embark on an adventure to create a vivarium for my little old Scutasaurus! I will probably have someone build a structure for me first, so it will likely be a little while before I can share my progress, but I will be sure to post (and awaken this old thread again, or perhaps start a new one) when I get something to show!

- Molly

#40 humpy101

humpy101

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:31 AM

wow that is nice and comfy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users