Turtle mating dance

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 landwish

landwish

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:I'm a nursing student and I work as a receptionist in an emergency animal hospital. Update 12/30/2009: I am now a graduate nurse :)

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:04 AM

Does anyone know what age they start doing the mating dance cause mine's not even a year old and I think he or she just did it. Anyone know of a video online that shows a turtle doing a mating dance?

#2 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:00 AM

I think someone has a video somewhere I can't recall the link try the search engine. Now all of mine who have done it began some about 7-10 months others not until oldr and even more age 18 months-2 years some still do it when bored or never have. They face another turtle and fan both sides his/her face with the back and front sides of their hands (claws) and poke their head/nose about the other turtles face and sometimes out comes the flashing of the turtle in question's sex organ.

#3 Squinchy

Squinchy

Normal Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:25 AM

I think someone has a video somewhere I can't recall the link try the search engine. Now all of mine who have done it began some about 7-10 months others not until oldr and even more age 18 months-2 years some still do it when bored or never have. They face another turtle and fan both sides his/her face with the back and front sides of their hands (claws) and poke their head/nose about the other turtles face and sometimes out comes the flashing of the turtle in question's sex organ.

I KNEW IT!!!! :D, mine do the same thing and i was just about to post a question about this, at first i thought thay wer arguing/fighting but now i know better :D, and i was always trying to make a vidio of this to show you Felow TT members but i just interupted them every time and thay stoped :P

My BYS are closing in on the 7 month age

#4 landwish

landwish

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:I'm a nursing student and I work as a receptionist in an emergency animal hospital. Update 12/30/2009: I am now a graduate nurse :)

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

Do males and females do the dance?

#5 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:09 AM

Well one of my girls did usually folk say just the males do it, but I saw it wiht my own eyes so whether they typically do it or not or my girl just was imitating the boy I'm no sure. She did it a few times and never again go figure. The boys were another story.

#6 boxiegirl

boxiegirl

I am consistently inconsistent!

• Members
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, tortoises, turtles, tortoises, my children, my husband, trail riding, and just about anyother critter with a pulse, excluding spiders and bugs.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

My two year old says "look mommy turtle shakin' bacon" That's what we tell him to do when we want him to dance "Shake your bacon Max!" :lol:

#7 imtommorello

imtommorello

Starting Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

i have a clip of my turtles doing that mating dance thing. they do it ALL the time. first it was just one..but now they all do it. i'm not even all that sure of their genders anymore =(

haha.

#8 peejaie

peejaie

Normal Member

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:turtles, hardcore music, bodybuilding

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

i have a clip of my turtles doing that mating dance thing. they do it ALL the time. first it was just one..but now they all do it. i'm not even all that sure of their genders anymore =(

haha.

HAHA! great video! that just made my night.

#9 archeolon

archeolon

dance little enchiknaca, dance!

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

actualy, males will do it to other males, and females will do it to other females, because they do that to settle territory problems as well.

#10 AlexisU

AlexisU

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Turtles, Art, Reading

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:03 PM

That mating dance is adorable!! I wish mine would do that.

#11 SWIPS

SWIPS

Normal Member

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:32 AM

great video, both of them looked males to me
btw
my P.Cooters just about 2 months old and one of them does the dance to other one, the little one does this dance to bigger one

#12 teenyturtles

teenyturtles

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I'm a college student in Wisconsin with two RES: Luna (4.5 inches) and Otto (4 inches). They are my babies and I love them a lot!!

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

For some reason I can't see the video clip, but I'm nearly positive that my two RES are doing some sort of mating dance. They face eachother with noses almost touching, have their arms extended over their heads, and flutter their fingers/claws together. When they do that, are they necessarily going to mate? They're 2 years old (I saw that they can do this as early as 7 months) and I don't know their sexes either.

#13 RobBierman

RobBierman

TIT= Totally Into Turtles

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
  • Interests:Turtles and Tortoises

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

No videos, but I do got pictures :D
http://www.turtletim...topic=37684&hl=

#14 teenyturtles

teenyturtles

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I'm a college student in Wisconsin with two RES: Luna (4.5 inches) and Otto (4 inches). They are my babies and I love them a lot!!

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:16 PM

Haha...Just an update. I took a good luck at "the boys" and realized that they are indeed....boys. The largest has pretty massive claws and a big thick/long tail. The smaller one I had been hesitant to pass judgement on... until I spied a small purple thing under his tail that slowly went back in as I held him upside-down to take a look. So I think it's safe to say that they are both males and trying to establish dominance by doing the "mating dance." <sigh> I love this site!!!

#15 yhnujm

yhnujm

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:05 PM

Haha...Just an update. I took a good luck at "the boys" and realized that they are indeed....boys. The largest has pretty massive claws and a big thick/long tail. The smaller one I had been hesitant to pass judgement on... until I spied a small purple thing under his tail that slowly went back in as I held him upside-down to take a look. So I think it's safe to say that they are both males and trying to establish dominance by doing the "mating dance." <sigh> I love this site!!!

So females have small claws and males have bigger ones?

My two fully grown yellow belly sliders seem to be touching noses, i'm not sure on there genders but i do know that one of them has bigger claws than the other, and they are roughly the same size/age. The turtle with bigger claws touches the other nose to nose, the one with smaller claws allows this and gradually puts its head inside its own shell. They do this quite a bit..

Also, is my young red ear slider going to be ok? Will he get bullied by the two big ones? I've been told by the pet store owner when i got my red ear that red ears tend to be more aggresive than yellow belly sliders and so should'nt have a problem. Also he said that red ears grow a lot bigger than yellow belly sliders. This true? My red ear uses the bigger ones to bask, quite comedic.

#16 teenyturtles

teenyturtles

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

Well, I thought that both my RES were boys... but I've been finding them in some seemingly sexual positions as of late! From the research I had found, male turtles have a small purplish sac that comes out of their tail when they want to mate. I saw that on the smaller of the two so I'm pretty sure he's a boy. The larger, however, I'm not very sure about. It may be older than the smaller one, which would account for the much larger claws... Either way, they are engaging in some very suggestive behavior besides the mating/dominance dance. I'll take a video if I get the chance to!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users