• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

how can i clean the algae off my turts shells? i have tried many amounts of brushes and cotton buds but nothing seems to work! are there any chemicals i can get which will not harm the turts?

#2 RobBierman

RobBierman

TIT= Totally Into Turtles

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
  • Interests:Turtles and Tortoises

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

Usually a tooth brush works :blink:

#3 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:04 AM

i tried! even tried different softness' of tooth brushes! they dont like it tho! one of them even tries to bite me! anyone else?

#4 Florida Bound

Florida Bound

In charge of vents

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Law enforcement, german shepherd rescue/adoption, reptiles of any kind. <br /><br />Love hiking and spending time outside.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:18 AM

i tried! even tried different softness' of tooth brushes! they dont like it tho! one of them even tries to bite me! anyone else?

My pleco keeps mine clean. :D

#5 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Normal Member

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

My pleco keeps mine clean. :D

Mine too... I was worried the first couple time I saw my pleco riding around on the turtles' backs, but now it's just amusing. And, their shells stay very nice and clean.

#6 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

wats a pleco?

#7 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Normal Member

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

Armored catfish... Otherwise known as a sucker fish. One of those longer, flat fish that eat algea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleco

#8 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

would it not eat my turts? they are only mississipi maps about 2-3 inch shell size!

are there ANY cleaners or chemicals that i could possibly get? because to b honest it is bad algae and it make them very unatractive! its becuase my tank is in full view of the window but i have no where else to put it! :(

#9 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Normal Member

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

My two turtles are only 2-3 inches, and the pleco doesn't hurt them. But, that's no promise. Every situation is different, I guess.

#10 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

are plecos dear? i'm in the uk!

#11 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:57 AM

i have got a black pleco. i have put it in the tank with the terapins. they have went over to it and investigated. they went to bite a couple of times but i prevented them. lets just see how things go. i think its very likely that they will tear into it!

#12 burk04

burk04

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:28 AM

how can i clean the algae off my turts shells? i have tried many amounts of brushes and cotton buds but nothing seems to work! are there any chemicals i can get which will not harm the turts?

I used bleach. Just make sure you dilute it well. It's safe to mix 3 parts water to 1 part bleach. Dip your tooth brush in it and scrub the shell with it. even though it wouldn't hurt them, keep it away from the face just to keep it at it's safest. I've clean all my turtles shells this way, no problems.

#13 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:07 AM

I used bleach. Just make sure you dilute it well. It's safe to mix 3 parts water to 1 part bleach. Dip your tooth brush in it and scrub the shell with it. even though it wouldn't hurt them, keep it away from the face just to keep it at it's safest. I've clean all my turtles shells this way, no problems.

are you positive? i dont want it hurting or affecting them in anyway!

#14 TereKirkland

TereKirkland

Starting Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

I had a hard time trying to brush the algae off my turtle, too, but I was being super gentle. He actually seemed to like it, but maybe he wouldn't if I brushed a little harder. I can see how a bleach solution would work well, but do you think peroxide, being gentler, would work as well?

#15 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

i'm not sure wat peroxide is :s i'l give the diluted bleach solution a shot tho! there shells are REALLY bad!

#16 Matt S.

Matt S.

Long Time Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

neilomc05,
I hope you have not tried the bleach yet. I strongly disagree with burk04; I would not use bleach or any other household chemicals on a turtle's shell unless proscribed by a Herp. vet. Algae will not hurt your turtle, yes it looks ugly, but it's pretty normal. Try using a toothbrush or washcloth while holding the turtle under running warm water.
Do your turtles bask? Are your turtles allowed to become completely dry when they bask? What are the basking and water temperatures? How long do you leave the UV lights on for?

#17 jade

jade

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:1 False Map, 1 Painted, 1 Cooter, dogs, music, cooking, anthropology/primatology, and stifling the decline of the American educational system.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

neilomc05,
I hope you have not tried the bleach yet. I strongly disagree with burk04; I would not use bleach or any other household chemicals on a turtle's shell unless proscribed by a Herp. vet.

Bleach or peroxide sounds like a really bad idea. Those who used this technique are just LUCKY that nothing bad has happened to their turtles. I've used bleach to clean out a tank, and it takes MANY rinsings to get all vestiges of bleach out (even though it was quite diluted). I can't imagine, nor would I want to, having my turtles going through such rinsings. Bleach is strong! It can sting eyes and cause damage to a turtle's skin.

Edited by jade, 24 May 2006 - 11:48 AM.

#18 Florida Bound

Florida Bound

In charge of vents

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Law enforcement, german shepherd rescue/adoption, reptiles of any kind. <br /><br />Love hiking and spending time outside.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

No bleach! :o

#19 neilomc05

neilomc05

Normal Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

ok i'm REALLY confused! should i or should i not use bleach? i have it sittin here in front of me! i havent went near them yet with it! i honestly think i should try it as i have tried most other things!

#20 Matt S.

Matt S.

Long Time Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:44 PM

I would not use the bleach on the turtle. Beach is a cleaning agent to be used on only non-living things and when used to clean items that humans or animals (living things) come in contact with it is to be diluted (5to1 ratio), followed by several rinses and air drying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users