37 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

Normal Member

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Pets, music, reading, hanging out with friends

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:55 PM

Me and my boyfriend worked all weekend on this thing, and then some. I am very pleased with the results. I got pictures of the whole process:

Posted Image
The site

Posted Image
The frame. It's 4' x 8'

Posted Image
Attaching plywood to the frame

Posted Image
Here I am trimming extra chicken wire off the bottom

Posted Image
We painted it to keep it from rotting; using non-toxic paint, of course.

Posted Image
Digging out the site. This was the hardest part, because of that Kentucky clay soil <_<

Posted Image
There it is!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Colby enjoying his new home and a tasty treat.

#2 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

What a nice job, such a lucky turtle. Makes me cry for the one I just rescued who lived in a 10 gallon tank for 14 years :( only suggestion is to add a large walk in water bowl and to offer a larger shaded area you could simply staple shade cloth to part of it or even cover with a piece of wood :) nice job!

#3 Squeakers

Squeakers

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Kids, animals, outdoor activities, group sports, turtles &amp; tortoises

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

A job well done! What a nice new home for Colby. I think that Colby(he?) was smiling in that last photo! Don't you? :P

#4 turtlemoon617

turtlemoon617

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I love anything to do with nature. I love the water, the stars and the moon. I read tarot cards. I love to watch movies with my husband. We are both Star Wars fans. Family is very important to me.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

Great Job!!! Your enclosure is very similar to the one my husband and I are building!!! We have it altogether just have to add the finishing touches. Colby does look mighty proud of his new home and rightfully so!!!! The baby is so little, but I bet he is enjoying all that great room too. I cant wait until mine is finished. Now you have me motivated it get it all done!!!!
Congrats to Colby and Claren.
As always,
Diane

#5 Alliecat

Alliecat

Normal Member

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

Thanks! It was a lot of hard work, but it definately paid off for my little guy.

Amanda1: What would you suggest for a better water bowl? I've looked at the big terra cotta saucers that go under flower pots, but they don't seem like they'd be deep enough. What do you think?

When those plants get bigger he'll definately have a lot more shade and room to hide, and the walls of the enclosure provide some shade as well; but until then I'll add a little something to keep him cool.

After a while I might let my baby live in there permanently, but I'm afraid to right now because she's just so little. On nice days I take her 30-gallon tupperware enclosure and set it in there so she can get some sun. Do you think this is okay?

#6 eRiCdWoNg

eRiCdWoNg

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

Looks great! I'm planning to do something similar for my 5 eastern boxie babies. Just wondering, is the bottom of your enclosure open? I'm assuming it is otherwise it would fill up with water.....

#7 Alliecat

Alliecat

Normal Member

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

The bottom is made of chicken wire; that way he can't dig out, but there is still drainage :)

#8 boxiesorbriefs?

boxiesorbriefs?

Starting Member

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Box Turtles, Exotic Goldfish, Watergardening. Reading. Skating.<br />Attend College Part-time. Design and Sell Animal and Pet Charm Jewelry. Freelance Graphic Artist.<br /><br />In memory of my son Jason 1980-2001<br />[url=http://www.jasonlowe.freeservers.com/]http://www.jasonlowe.freeservers.com/[/url]

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

Wow, such an awesome enclosure! Great job!
What type of substrate are you using?
Your tiny baby is so cute!

#9 alex_dude1o1

alex_dude1o1

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:TURTLES<br />&lt;div style=&quot;text-align: center; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; width:450;&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;embed allowScriptAccess=&quot;never&quot; src=&quot;http://www.projectplaylist.com/xspf_player.swf&quot; menu=&quot;false&quot; quality=&quot;high&quot; width=&quot;435&quot; height=&quot;270&quot; name=&quot;mp3player&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; pluginspage=&quot;http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; flashvars=&quot;&amp;config=http://www.projectplaylist.com/config2.xml&amp;playlist_url=http://www.projectplaylist.com/loadplaylist.php?playlist=743347&quot; wmode=&quot;transparent&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; /&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/create.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com/standalone/743347 target=_blank&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/pplaylist.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com/download/743347&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/download.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt; &lt;/div&gt;<br />

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

Just wondering, what are the dimensions of the enclosure?

#10 Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:I've become a complete fan of turtles after getting our first turtle a year or so ago. Unfortunately that turtle didn't make it and I have had to opportunity to explore and find out what we really like. I currently have 1.1 Eastern Hermanns tortoises and we love them to death! <br />As far as my other interests, I'm a computer geekette, love to go flea marketing and most importantly hanging out with my family.
  • Last Blog Entry:
  • One bad egg, another still cooking..more to come?

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

Hi Alliecat,

I love your setup! Where are you at in KY? I'm in Louisville but am longing for a little bit of some country, we are looking but land or real estate altogether has just gotten so expensive. :angry:

Your boxie looks like he is smiling for the camera. :)

Kellie

#11 Alliecat

Alliecat

Normal Member

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:17 AM

Wow I haven't checked this thread in a long time...sorry guys!

Wow, such an awesome enclosure! Great job!
What type of substrate are you using?
Your tiny baby is so cute!

I'm using a mixture of the soil that was already there (it's mostly clay) and peat moss.

Just wondering, what are the dimensions of the enclosure?

It is 8'x4'x2' (lxwxh).

Hi Alliecat,

I love your setup! Where are you at in KY? I'm in Louisville but am longing for a little bit of some country, we are looking but land or real estate altogether has just gotten so expensive. :angry:

Your boxie looks like he is smiling for the camera. :)

Kellie

Cool, a Louisvillian! I live in Henry Co. It's beautiful country, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

#12 nifheim

nifheim

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Dagan - 3 toed female 5-7 years old<br />Aryana - 3 toed female (?) age <br />Killian - 3 toed female 20+ years <br />Corrigan - Eastern male (?) age<br /><br />Betta: TBD<br /><br />Other interests: Death, Grind, Doom Metal, hardcore music, Guinness, mountain biking, graphic design, photographs

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

WOW I want that enclosure. I have the land, I have the money to build it, I just need someone to help me build it. I am not that technically inclined to use power tools IoI

#13 Turtlecrazy1

Turtlecrazy1

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:My interests include reading, listening to music watching really creepy movies, and taking care of my 4 yr old daughter....and yet of course....turtles!

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

Thats one great enclosure I am trying to come up with something like this myself. Very good job!

#14 TurtleBuddy

TurtleBuddy

Normal Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

Definitely a happy turtle! It's smiling :lol:

#15 nevaeh41

nevaeh41

New User

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:39 AM

Amanda1: What would you suggest for a better water bowl? I've looked at the big terra cotta saucers that go under flower pots, but they don't seem like they'd be deep enough. What do you think?

I find using a paint roller pan works the best for me. Just a suggestion for a water container! :)

#16 Cweb26

Cweb26

Starting Member

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

How about a kitty litter box?? Dig it into the ground so its flush?

#17 tinkerturtle

tinkerturtle

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

very happy turtles, What is the water area like, did I miss the pics?

#18 bjornolfr

bjornolfr

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:aerodynamics, aerospace engineering, aircraft, A Song of Ice and Fire, astronomy, astrophysics, books, cats, chocolate, coin collecting, dragons, fantasy, Gackt, Harry potter, Hayao Miyazaki, j-rock, Japan, Japanese, Japanese calligraphy, languages, literature, Lord of the Rings, mathematics, Matthew Stover, physics, Red-Eared Sliders, sci-fi, Shakira, shoudo, Star Wars, The Matrix, The Silmarillion, TURTLES, V for Vendetta, World of Warcraft, 日本語, 漢字.

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:45 AM

That's a wonderful setup you have there, and a beautiful wooded area where you live!

Those are some lucky turts :D

#19 Imhooked

Imhooked

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Aside from turtling, I enjoy scrapbooking, outdoor sports with the kiddo's Baseball and Softball. Spend much of my time helping others find a house to make their home.

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

Great setup, I agree, as far as a water dish, the paint tray's work well as long as you dig them in so they are flush with the ground. Had a hard time finding normal ones anymore. I also use a few in I have different size turts in the enclosure, that way they can both go soak, and still get out with ease. Looks great though. :)

#20 turtle's best friend

turtle's best friend

Starting Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

congrats on the turrtle pen it must be so long now since u posted those pics and everything. I was just wondering if u could give us some updated pics if its not to much of a trouble.

P.S are those threes toes? cause i got a couple and is currently building a huge outdoor pen for mine. It would be good to no what a turtle likes in his pen like plants or what kind of food.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Tyler M. in Tyler M Blog, on 02 September 2010 - 11:14 PM

I saw this old topic today and thought it was way too cool.

Me and my boyfriend worked all weekend on this thing, and then some.  I am very pleased with the results.  I got pictures of the whole...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users