• 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

i would build a pen like that but i got a RES wich is a water turtle

#26 allison finch

allison finch

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Police Sgt/firearms instructor. I travel to scuba dive and do underwater photography. Studied herpetology in college and do turtle rehabbing.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

[quote name='Alliecat' date='May 24 2006, 04:27 PM' post='337621']
Thanks! It was a lot of hard work, but it definately paid off for my little guy.

Amanda1: What would you suggest for a better water bowl? I've looked at the big terra cotta saucers that go under flower pots, but they don't seem like they'd be deep enough. What do you think?

I use the larger plastic saucers that go under planters. You can find really big ones that are deeper and about 12-18" across. You can partially bury it. It is easy to pull up and rinse out.

#27 smlbogg

smlbogg

• Members Standard
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

love the setup they look very happy

#28 redeye

redeye

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Snakes

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:06 AM

Nice setup, those boxies should be very happy !!!

#29 crazydart

crazydart

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

That is an awesome enclosure. Have you had any problems with things like raccoons? I haven't kept small turtles outside in a long time. I was mowing the lawn once and found one of my map turtles with chew marks all over him from a raccoon. Seems like your enclosure might be the answer.

#30 Sammy101

Sammy101

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Wow, that is a wonderful enclosre, and does it look like Colby is smiling? I would say he is! He's lucky to have such a wonderful mother! I know you take great care of him! Just a few pointers! I would include a small walk-in water dish so he can bathe on the hotter days! Some more shade too, I see you have the cute house but you could use a little more, maybe a bush or something he can go under during the very hot days! Other than that, what a great enclosure! Great job!

#31 Bowturtle111

Bowturtle111

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Outdoors, And sports

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

I find using a paint roller pan works the best for me. Just a suggestion for a water container! :)

Paint roller pans do work great because its easy for them to get in/out of easily.

#32 Alva Valentino Ocean

Alva Valentino Ocean

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

what a great job you've done!!

#33 Willowtree

Willowtree

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, animals, photography, astronomy, birdwatching, learning, bibliophilia, movies, television, French, Latin, Classical Greek

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Allie, great setup!! Congrats on a job very well-done. Color me dense, though, but I don't see the water bowl (maybe I'm just going blind in my old age). Could you indicate where it is? Also, since Eastern Box Turtles love the water so much, with all that space you've provided, I suggest you really give them a pond in which to frolic and have a great time, a sunken basin or something with a good ramp to get in and out. Other than that, I can't suggest anything, because it looks darn near perfect. Cheers, Kerry

#34 Andy's Auto

Andy's Auto

One Defenseless Avatar

• Retired Moderators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Kerry, this thread is over 4.5 years old. :P Safe to say the box turtles went through high school, graduated college, and are now working working for the Haliburton Corp in Western Iraq. I know, I have been digging for topics myself.

Andy

#35 Willowtree

Willowtree

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, animals, photography, astronomy, birdwatching, learning, bibliophilia, movies, television, French, Latin, Classical Greek

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

Kerry, this thread is over 4.5 years old. :P Safe to say the box turtles went through high school, graduated college, and are now working working for the Haliburton Corp in Western Iraq. I know, I have been digging for topics myself.

Andy

Holy cow, you're right. I didn't even notice the date, I just saw the topic, then the great pix. Now I'm wondering how the two box turtles are faring. Little Carlen would be all grown up by now. I at least hope Haliburton's paying him well. Thanks, Andy. (Actually, since I'm talking to you right now [so to speak]: Why do any of us even bother with TurtleSale or, even, TurtleSource? Why don't we all just buy from you? I mean, you don't get to be "Global Moderator" without being reputable -- so one presumes. Just an idle synapse-firing. I'd appreciate your reply, though.) Cheers, Kerry

Edited by Willowtree, 02 September 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#36 Andy's Auto

Andy's Auto

One Defenseless Avatar

• Retired Moderators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Holy cow, you're right. I didn't even notice the date, I just saw the topic, then the great pix. Now I'm wondering how the two box turtles are faring. Little Carlen would be all grown up by now. I at least hope Haliburton's paying him well. Thanks, Andy. (Actually, since I'm talking to you right now [so to speak]: Why do any of us even bother with TurtleSale or, even, TurtleSource? Why don't we all just buy from you? I mean, you don't get to be "Global Moderator" without being reputable -- so one presumes. Just an idle synapse-firing. I'd appreciate your reply, though.) Cheers, Kerry

Kerry, no real time to sell individual turtles. I sell big orders to guys like Chelidman on Kingsnake and a local wholesaler buys them by the bucket. Shipping turtles is about THE most stressfull thing I have done. Especially when you are packing multiple boxes. And hey, don't knock TurtleSale and TurtleShack too hard. That is where new forum members hatch. Not always the greatest experience, but usually the truth is found here.

Andy

#37 Tyler M.

Tyler M.

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Global Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:I grew interested in turtles when I was a kid living close to the everglades. I have kept turtles ever since.
    I work with computers, and enjoy the simplicity and purpose my turtles bring in a life that is all too much haste!

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

on the flip side, I forgot about this post, which really is pretty great. :)

#38 Andy's Auto

Andy's Auto

One Defenseless Avatar

• Retired Moderators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:43 AM

on the flip side, I forgot about this post, which really is pretty great. :)

Yes, Boss. We will stay on topic, Boss. I warned us both, Boss. :P

Andy

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Tyler M. in Tyler M Blog, on 02 September 2010 - 11:14 PM

I saw this old topic today and thought it was way too cool.

Me and my boyfriend worked all weekend on this thing, and then some.  I am very pleased with the results.  I got pictures of the whole...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users