• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 Phantom

Phantom

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:06 AM

Wow, I honestly do not know where to start. My name is Mark and my sister works for The Federal Bureau of Investigation over in California. Well, about a month ago I ordered a Mississippi Map turtle from turtlesale.com. It came in a cardboard envelope with a tiny plastic crate inside. The package said "contains free sample turtle food" and nothing more. Well, the turtle inside had been crushed during the shipping. I joined their forums to try and read up on turtles to see if this is common at turtlesale.com I told my sister, and she had told me something I hadn't known. According to something called The Lacey Act Amendments, it is a federal offense to mislabel a packages containing a live animal within it. Under these amendments are guidelines for the Humane and Healthful Transport of Wild Mammals, Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians in the United States. One of these being that the package must clearly state "Contains Live Animal". Well moving forward... I was nervous if I had participated in a crime by receiving a parcel in an illegal manner so I posted on turtlesale.com forums and asked if they shipped in accordance with this law. Mysteriously my post vanished. Last night, I responded to someone's concern about the 4" law by the FDA and had mentioned the Lacey Act and the FDA. Well, I wake up this morning with a harassing message from one of the Admins saying I am not supposed to talk about it and 10 minutes later I am banned off the site. To me, it seemed like something indeed was fishy here so my sister opened a case under fraud, has contacted the SPCA, Fish and Game, The FDA, and Domestic Animal and Wildlife Rescue. I wonder if they silence many members in this fashion. If so, they finally made the mistake of doing it to someone in direct contact with the FBI and I hope nobody has to go through what I did of opening a cardboard envelope to find a crushed turtle. I have saved the packaging, and it is now going to be taken as evidence, so I hope I can stop this from happening again to anyone.

#2 Andy's Auto

Andy's Auto

One Defenseless Avatar

• Retired Moderators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:21 AM

Phantom,welcome to TurtleTimes.

Turtlesale has long been the dirt of the industry and many are caught unaware of thier dealings until after the fact.

Andy

#3 Ecologist

Ecologist

• Members Plus
  • 1,538 posts
  • Interests:my pets, mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, camping, canoeing

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:56 AM

Well, it looks like they finally messed with the wrong person who actually has the knowledge and the ability to do them some real damage. Their forums are pretty well-known for shilling their products and making concerted efforts to keep their illegal, inhumane, and shady business practices hidden from public view.

#4 mynewturtle

mynewturtle

• Members Plus
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:10 AM

yes finally soem one who can do some think like ecologist said they finally messed around with the wrong person i was gunna order some think from thier berfor but than i sean all of the adds turtle sale bad web side or some thing like that i hope they get shut down alot of people have experinced this

#5 alex_dude1o1

alex_dude1o1

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:TURTLES<br />&lt;div style=&quot;text-align: center; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; width:450;&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;embed allowScriptAccess=&quot;never&quot; src=&quot;http://www.projectplaylist.com/xspf_player.swf&quot; menu=&quot;false&quot; quality=&quot;high&quot; width=&quot;435&quot; height=&quot;270&quot; name=&quot;mp3player&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; pluginspage=&quot;http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; flashvars=&quot;&amp;config=http://www.projectplaylist.com/config2.xml&amp;playlist_url=http://www.projectplaylist.com/loadplaylist.php?playlist=743347&quot; wmode=&quot;transparent&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; /&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/create.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com/standalone/743347 target=_blank&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/pplaylist.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a href=http://www1.projectplaylist.com/download/743347&gt;&lt;img src=http://www.projectplaylist.com/files/download.gif border=0&gt;&lt;/a&gt; &lt;/div&gt;<br />

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:23 AM

They need to be shut down once and for all. I'm glad this happened, not because you got ripped off, but because you are the one that sort of has power and can get these guys into alot of trouble.

#6 boxiegirl

boxiegirl

I am consistently inconsistent!

• Members
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, tortoises, turtles, tortoises, my children, my husband, trail riding, and just about anyother critter with a pulse, excluding spiders and bugs.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:02 AM

Good for you. and no; you are by far not the first to have a bad dealing with them!

#7 Kronenhooser2

Kronenhooser2

Starting Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

Wow, I honestly do not know where to start. My name is Mark and my sister works for The Federal Bureau of Investigation over in California. Well, about a month ago I ordered a Mississippi Map turtle from turtlesale.com. It came in a cardboard envelope with a tiny plastic crate inside. The package said "contains free sample turtle food" and nothing more. Well, the turtle inside had been crushed during the shipping. I joined their forums to try and read up on turtles to see if this is common at turtlesale.com I told my sister, and she had told me something I hadn't known. According to something called The Lacey Act Amendments, it is a federal offense to mislabel a packages containing a live animal within it. Under these amendments are guidelines for the Humane and Healthful Transport of Wild Mammals, Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians in the United States. One of these being that the package must clearly state "Contains Live Animal". Well moving forward... I was nervous if I had participated in a crime by receiving a parcel in an illegal manner so I posted on turtlesale.com forums and asked if they shipped in accordance with this law. Mysteriously my post vanished. Last night, I responded to someone's concern about the 4" law by the FDA and had mentioned the Lacey Act and the FDA. Well, I wake up this morning with a harassing message from one of the Admins saying I am not supposed to talk about it and 10 minutes later I am banned off the site. To me, it seemed like something indeed was fishy here so my sister opened a case under fraud, has contacted the SPCA, Fish and Game, The FDA, and Domestic Animal and Wildlife Rescue. I wonder if they silence many members in this fashion. If so, they finally made the mistake of doing it to someone in direct contact with the FBI and I hope nobody has to go through what I did of opening a cardboard envelope to find a crushed turtle. I have saved the packaging, and it is now going to be taken as evidence, so I hope I can stop this from happening again to anyone.

YES! Its about time those *censored* got what they had comming for them.

#8 BirdLady68

BirdLady68

I should be banned

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Animals, movies, music, Lord of the Rings, Christian, etc

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

God bless you, Phantom.

#9 Andy

Andy

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

Sweet. Let us know what happens.

#10 Island Reptiles

Island Reptiles

Normal Member

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Providing sanctuary for both land and aquatic turtles. Maintaining a rehabilitation facility for various marine turtles.

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

I realize to some, turtles (especially RES) are an easy to come by commodity, raised in outstanding numbers on farms and sold all over the world .... but I cannot help but imagine how terrified that little baby must have been. I can only hope the temperature problems sent him into a deep sleep, or at least a form of hibernation where his little mind was not as active, before he was crushed in whatever manner may have caused the damage.

Truly a very sad thing to read about - let alone receive in the mail.

#11 Turtlecrazy1

Turtlecrazy1

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:My interests include reading, listening to music watching really creepy movies, and taking care of my 4 yr old daughter....and yet of course....turtles!

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

I have my own two cents to put in on this one. The last forum I belonged to was infact on turtlsale.com biggest mistake I ever made was dealing with thm and I should have known that they are only in it to make a buck! Not only that but when I ordered mine came the same way and it was 8 turtles that arrived dead. I too posted in reguards to this and my post disapeared. When I asked their rude unfeeling mods what happened to my post they said they remove any complains directed toward the site. I said " so in other words we can only say what you people want to hear" and he said "yes thats right and banned me for a week because of it.LOL I went back on mearly to tell them all exactly where the could
" stick their lousy web site" and never looked back again. I apreciate this post a lot. Good job bringing it to peoples attention. You will NOT find that kind of treatment on this forum, infact I havent seen a rude post in the whole lot! People are great and respectful here

#12 Millerlite

Millerlite

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

i was a member of that forum, i think i still am, but i dont go there, its a joke, and if they dont like what you say they will just delete the post. The whole forum is like a nazi camp. They kept saying there going to ban me for like the past year, but never did yet, i guess they just put threat out, i think its best just to stay away from that site and spread the word aobut how horrible they are so they get the boot.

#13 Turtlecrazy1

Turtlecrazy1

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:My interests include reading, listening to music watching really creepy movies, and taking care of my 4 yr old daughter....and yet of course....turtles!

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

exactly thats why I am glad to see this post is out there. I am going to try to keep it bumped a little so others will hopfuly see it. I hate how turtlesale treats their members and their turtles it is a cruel useless place to be either way!

#14 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

That is really sad. Awhile back, I ran across their site when I was looking for turtle supplies websites. They were running a "special". I think it was a FREE baby RES with any purchase over a certain dollar amount. I've been on their site twice just to look at all the different breeds they had for sell. Poor little turtles :(

#15 sulcata king

sulcata king

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:sulcata tortoises, websites , going on this forum

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:27 PM

Deffinitley keep us up to date :D and i am truly sorry about your turtle :(

#16 Hoosierturtle

Hoosierturtle

Starting Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

Glad i found this.. because i called and was going to order 2 eastern Spiny softshell hatchlings.. when i called the guy on the phone was kinda pushy and only really cared to make the sale. wouldnt really answer any of my questions

I was asking him if i would need a different tank temperature from having a FL softie or a E spiny.. and he said no there isnt any thing that is different.. that threw me off a little bit. then i asked if Pebbles or Small rocks would be alright and he said they would be . and i ended up ending the conversation right there.

So im glad i didnt get hit with this like others have.. even tho im eager to get new pets.. and im a Impulse buyer im glad i took my instinct on the attitude that he displayed.

#17 pygmy_mouse

pygmy_mouse

Normal Member

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

I've had a terrible time with them as well. They sent a tortoise who arrived dead (along with a "free" baby RES I had told them NOT to send) and stopped replying to my emails and phone calls after about a month. It's been two months now, and I told them yesterday that I'm going to ask my credit card company to dispute the charge with them. They never sent a replacement tort and I'm glad, because I got a much healthier one from a great breeder who really knew what she was doing and shipped the tortoise properly. In addition to disputing the $180 charge, I'm filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau--which is easy to do online.

#18 pygmy_mouse

pygmy_mouse

Normal Member

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:47 PM

P. S. Your mentioning that the sales guy was pushy on the phone reminded me that when I called to order my tort there, the salesman said, "You'll need two." I said, "I think tortoises can live by themselves, from everything I've read." He said, "Sulcatas mate for life." I don't know if that's true, but it was irrelevant--I was ordering a Hermann's. I said, "I'm going to have to research this some more and call you back," and the guy said, "Well, like I say, you don't HAVE to get two of them." Exactly the opposite of what he'd said!

#19 pygmy_mouse

pygmy_mouse

Normal Member

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

Unfortunately I paid for my Hermann's from Turtlesale via PayPal, which won't dispute the charge. I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and will let you know what happens. Has anyone on these boards ever gotten satisfaction from a Turtlesale claim?

#20 mamasan

mamasan

Normal Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

I also was suckered into thinking they were a good company. I ordered some supplies and 2 babies to be sent 1 wk. later. Surprise... a baby RES was sent along with the supplies, in a box at least, but also with no "live animal" sticker anywhere. Since obviously i had no idea this baby was coming, i wasn't home and the poor baby sat out in the cold all day. !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users