• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thejamesjordan

thejamesjordan

Starting Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:59 AM

Hi, Im new to the board, I read over the FAQS on Red Eared sliders, but Im haveing a sort of unique problem. I recently set up a 20 gallon for my two red eared sliders (Arnold and Willis). I got the Zoo Med 501 TC 30 filter, and have the tank all set up. I came in today to find the tank has a layer of white foam on top of it, not too bad, but almost covering the whole service, and the water is sort of murky. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks.

#2 kjtortoise

kjtortoise

Lord of the Tortoise

• Retired Moderators
  • 11,861 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

Welcome to TT! :)

I am not familar with those filters. Could be not enough filtration.

#3 thejamesjordan

thejamesjordan

Starting Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the help, I spoke to customer service and they said this filter is optimal for 20- 30 galon tanks, it looks like the filter is somehow causing it, but it appears to be working normally, any other ideas?

Welcome to TT! :)

I am not familar with those filters. Could be not enough filtration.

#4 TurtleTwins

TurtleTwins

^Turtle World Cup^

• Members Plus
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

For a thirty gallon turtle tank you will need a stronger filter--one for a sixty gallon tank or stronger if possible. Turtles are messier than your average fish.

#5 inghit

inghit

Normal Member

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:herps (duh), dog training, neuroscience, veterinary medicine, goldfish, bettas, wildlife conservation

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:16 PM

Are you using any buffers or water conditioners in the tank? Have you washed the tank with any soaps or detergents? Was there water sitting in the tank for a while before starting the filter? These are possibilities for the foam. Murky...like cloudy, white water? This is pretty normal for a new tank and should settle down over a week or so. Definitely will need a stronger filter as the turtles grow. I aim for twice what is recommended by the manufacturers or moving 10x the volume of water. So for a 20 gallon tank i would get a filter that pumps at least 200 gallons per hour.

#6 thejamesjordan

thejamesjordan

Starting Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It was a tank given to me by a friend, it had been empty for some time, I had hosed it out, but not used any soap/ detergents. I had the water in the tank for about a day before starting the filter. The water is cloudy/ white water. Should I change the water and test again?

Are you using any buffers or water conditioners in the tank? Have you washed the tank with any soaps or detergents? Was there water sitting in the tank for a while before starting the filter? These are possibilities for the foam. Murky...like cloudy, white water? This is pretty normal for a new tank and should settle down over a week or so. Definitely will need a stronger filter as the turtles grow. I aim for twice what is recommended by the manufacturers or moving 10x the volume of water. So for a 20 gallon tank i would get a filter that pumps at least 200 gallons per hour.

#7 inghit

inghit

Normal Member

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:herps (duh), dog training, neuroscience, veterinary medicine, goldfish, bettas, wildlife conservation

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

Could be something residual in the tank that's getting foamy. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you have fresh carbon in the filter. I asked about the water sitting around, because sometimes a film will develope on the surface and then when it gets agitated by something like a filter outflow, it becomes foamy. But it would take more than a day or two for such a film to develope. The cloudiness sounds pretty normal for a new tank. Water change won't hurt, but probably won't do much for the cloudiness. Just have to wait it out usually. <_<

#8 paul112

paul112

Long Term Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

The foam you refer to is a protein layer. It's caused when you don't have adequate filtration, such as having an average fish filter trying to handle turtles. Get a filter rated for twice the size of the tank. It also appears when the filter is not on all the time or if you have very little water disturbance. Its not really bad in itself, just unsightly but the fact your filter isn't doing the job could be a problem.
Good luck!
Paul

#9 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,473 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

You've got some great advice above. I would say it's protein film like "paul" mentioned if it's a floating film on top, if it's more on the bubbly side it might be caused by the "spray bar" if you are using it. Surface agitation is key as "inghit" mentioned. Part of filtration is water movement in the right direction. I did a search and your filter comes with a "spray bar" use it and point it straight down into the water if it's the surface film kind, if it's bubbly then lower the spray bar to just below the surface, you might be agitating the water too much and it's acting as an air stone, this should help with the surface problem. Also to help remove the floating film, use a dry paper hand towel and let it settle on top of the water, after a few seconds remove it and it should remove the majority of white goodies, repeat if necessary.

Your cloudy/white water is probably cause by bacteria bloom. You don't really say how long is "recently" (1-2 weeks?) If you are using gravel you are providing an ideal place for waste to collect. Deep in the gravel bed there is less oxygen and an anaerobic condition (no oxygen) can exists. The decomposing bacteria starts to minerilize the waste, at least where there is sufficient oxygen. If in fact you have a gravel bed and begin to vac, the waste from the gravel will get disturbed, releasing nutrients into the water causing an explosion of decomposing bacteria (bacteria bloom) to form in the water giving the "white/milky" appearance. You need to vac more often or get rid of the gravel. If you are not using gravel them it's probably your filter. ;)

Edited by CLAWS, 19 July 2006 - 06:36 PM.

#10 thejamesjordan

thejamesjordan

Starting Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:45 AM

Thanks everybody for the great advice. It turns out the foam was definitely caused by the spray bar (thanks). As for the murky water, I did a water change and so far so good. It is a gravel bottom, but I just put the tank up on Monday, so Im assuming that might be too soon for a signifigant bacterial growth (I could be wrong). Again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

Andy

#11 turtle*freak

turtle*freak

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:turtles and torts...i have two three toed box turtles and i am looking for a female adult if any one has one ask me maybe ill buy it from u..i all so adopt

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

do u have any pics????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users