Predators

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 RonBlue99

RonBlue99

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Full time Mental Health Therapist. Dad, Husband, Turtle lover.

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that Ron, the same thing happened to me, which is why this thread was created in the first place. Racoons are pretty good with opening mechanisms, so make sure your mesh tops have some sort of lock to keep the little buggers out.

Thanks - after the raccoon adventure I got smart and decided to set up Alcatraz...here are the results...

Posted Image

#42 halfnelson

halfnelson

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

Electric fence works well and is easy to install and maintain. One strand 3 inches above the ground around the outside of the enclosure and 1 strand 3 inches above the top of the fence. Up here we make it electric barbed wire, we got bears.

Edited by halfnelson, 22 September 2007 - 09:53 PM.

#43 Pugwinkle

Pugwinkle

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:27 AM

Thanks - after the raccoon adventure I got smart and decided to set up Alcatraz...here are the results...

Ron, that's a neat idea. What do you keep in the tanks and how do you access them when you have to clean them, etc.

#44 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

some nice input overall in this thread i had already planned many things for my russians summer home im planning but but u all made me consider a few addition things i know where i live ill definatly have to watch out for possums , dogs, and apperantly deer ( they repeatedly devistated our sod this summer after landscaping was done as they seem to like to dig it up to get at the water that builds up underneieth )

but ive got precautions planned over all and when i build it im gonna take step by sep pics

#45 meshell824

meshell824

Normal Member

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

I would love to see pictures of some of your predator proof enclosures. I will be needing to construct an outdoor enclosure this summer for my sulcata and russian. I will bring them inside at night for now until the sulcata gets to big to do so. I sadly lost a RES this past summer in my outdoor pond to some sort of predator. Not sure what got it. It was heartbreaking. Also just a word of warning, a lot of you mention dogs being around your turtles. I have the sweetest 7 yr old Choc. lab who has never bothered my torts or shown any interest in them, until the other day. Luckily I caught him just in time. He had knocked over my sulcata's cage and almost had the top off. The sulcata is in one of those rabbit type cages with the plastic bottom and caged top half. I don't even want to think what would have happened if I wasn't home. I never in a million years would have thought he would mess with them. Please becareful with the dogs around your turtles and torts. I often wonder if my RES predator was my own dog! Please post some pics or ideas. I love looking at everyone's wonderful creative ideas. :D

#46 Allie

Allie

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:50 AM

After losing two of my Eastern Boxies to raccoons in the fall, I got mad. Really, really mad! My enclosure was a safe haven to 14 boxies for eight years until the raccoons struck. First it was my fish pond (not in the enclosure) and then it was my darlings, Marvin and Pete. The enclosure being about 30 by 30 feet was not the easiest to enclose. Below are some "before" pictures and now what I refer to as the turtle penitentiary or Alcatraz. Hopefully the uploads worked. If not, I will try again!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1917.jpg
  • image.jpg

#47 Allie

Allie

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

They worked! The grand cost was $4,500.00! I do realize that I was taken advantage of because of my love and concern for my turtles and absolutely no fence company in Atlanta would even give me an estimate. I also bought a raccoon trap and captured six of them and 11 'possums. In the spring I hope to make the chain link fence more attractive with vines and plants.

Attached Thumbnails

• September_1_2007_hatchling_015.jpg
  • IMG_1916_0001.jpg
  • June_2007_turtle_pictures_021.jpg

#48 meshell824

meshell824

Normal Member

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:12 AM

Great pictures Allie! I like the fenced in area. Like dog lots. That seems to probably be the way I will go with my outdoor enclosures. Should work perfect to keep thoe pesky predators out. I'm sure your babies appreciate all you hard work and money spent. Have you thought about what kind of "vines" you will use? Thanks for posting. That helped me a lot. I think it's a perfect fix to the pedator problem. :D

#49 Allie

Allie

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

Thanks! This past weekend I planted 5 shrubs starting at the left hand side that will grow to be about 5-6 feet tall. Jasmine grows really well here too. I am also going to get privacy slats for at least the first ten feet in front of the fence. Toward the back of the top, our neighbor's ivy will grow to cover some of the top. Right now I am using tarps as wind/rain guards in the area the turtles are hibernating. The area between the picket fence and the chain link fence is approximately 2 and one-half feet by 30. I am going to block off part of that area as a place for my one and two year olds this summer (5 of them) so they can have lots of room and sun, away from the adults. What started as one boxie is now 23!

#50 meshell824

meshell824

Normal Member

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:50 PM

WOW!!!! 23. My Husband would kill me. lol I have a 2 yr. old Russian, RES and a sulcata hatchling. I just got the sulcata this week. They are addicting. I can't wait for spring so I can get out there and build them something safe so they can catch some rays. I do keep them indoors at night because they are so small. Your enclosure seems like the best safest thing. I do have a question though, what do you do about the digging? Is your fenced area buried? I don't want anyone to escape on me. Thanks again for posting.

#51 Allie

Allie

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

Inside the picket fence (the original enclosure) I buried bricks. On the outside of the pickets I have fiberglass screening. I learned the hard way that if the turtles are slim enough, they can turn side-ways and go through the slats. Found one of my guys in the front yard! Around the chain link fence I have buried pavers to keep predators from digging under. Never can be too careful. I never intended to have so many turtles ... but the babies arrived. There were 11 of them this year and only six were adopted. Sometimes the job of soaking, feeding, changing water, etc. gets to be a bit overwhelming! I also have 5 leopard geckos, 2 crested geckos, 1 anole and a royal ball python and two fairly normal cats. Can't wait for spring when the big guys come out of hibernation. It's always a relief when I know everyone made it through the winter.

#52 jasontang2013

jasontang2013

Walking on Thin Ice at Turtle Times

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

that isnt rite. animals should be friendly to each other and eat plants only that would let other animals live and enjoy their life

#53 amanda1558

amanda1558

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

We put up a wooden 6ft fence around our whole yard and our problem is cats.. they jump the fence no problem.

Last summer we caught 5 cats. Now we have another cat who went to the bathroom in our turtle enclosure last night. Sigh.. .. time to take out the cat trap again. We can't have stray cats in our yard. Our pet indoor cat is 18 with kidney failure and enjoys coming out in the yard with us during the day and he can't be vaccinated and we don't want him picking anything up... not to mention I don't want the turtles eatin.

#54 nkkritters

nkkritters

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members Standard
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:NYS and Federal Wildlife Rehabilitator for 26 years. I share my apartment with Twinkie, my dog, 1 Red Foot Tort.2 Yellow Bellied Sliders, 4 Red Eared Sliders.. I rehab domestic and wild turtles/tortoises and give education talks on thier care.

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

Remember that guy who posted the link to the Ruger? Yeah, that works on neighbor kids too. :P

Seriously though, I think a tall fence with a padlock will keep the kids out. If not. Ruger. lol

Skunks will DIG under , so make sure the bottoms of outdoor pens are wire.

#55 Pie-rate

Pie-rate

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

What about aliens?
Posted Image

#56 amanda1558

amanda1558

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

Alie if you live in a state where you can do so you should grow GRAPES, rasberries and blue berries.. You and your turtles will appreciate it in the summer time and have tastey treats not to mention they will cover your fence. I'm all about growing things I can use or eat along with serving a purpose. :) You can also grow sunflowers in the summer time and corn both will grow tall and cover the fence area... of course just for summer but they are pretty and you can eat both. Also guavas you can plant inside or outside of the fence.. they are a bushy plant that will both cover the fence, or inside give your turtles a place to hide and the fruit is YUMMY. They never loose their leaves so it will always be a cover for the fence and in return you and the turtles will of course have another tastey treat. There are different types of guavas, pineapple, strawberry. You can shape them into whatever type you want if you want them bushy or tree like... pretty little good plants

#57 sunshine12

sunshine12

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

Good advice everyone! :D Thanks, you have given me great tips!
Sincerely,
Sunshine12 :)

#58 greyphoenix83

greyphoenix83

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies, playing with my pets, playing video games, going out with friends, and reading.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

I have 4 EBTs I keep outside in a fenced in area and I've noticed recently that they have a chipmunk living in there with them. Do I need to worry about it hurting the turtles? I know it might go after their food but otherwise, is there any threat from this creature? Thanks.

#59 jsbelljr83

jsbelljr83

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

Oh, yeah! Ants can be deadly to turtles, especially fire ants! The turtles instinct when they are under attack is to retract it's head and legs inside the shell. When ants attack even the full grown turtles, they don't know what to do! they don't flee into the water, instead they retract their head and legs inside the shells and let the ants bite them until they're dead!

Could those little black "sugar/side walk" ants kill an adult EBT?

#60 canvasseamonkey

canvasseamonkey

• Members Standard
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

I have 4 EBTs I keep outside in a fenced in area and I've noticed recently that they have a chipmunk living in there with them. Do I need to worry about it hurting the turtles? I know it might go after their food but otherwise, is there any threat from this creature? Thanks.

I would try to get rid of it, rodents have to gnaw on things to keep their teeth filed down, and I have seen pics of gnawed up shell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users