• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 elija.wattson

elija.wattson

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

First off, the Racoon. Racoons are one of the most intelligent predators you will come across, and will constantly amaze you with the tricks they employ to get their desired meal. Racoons can open latches, remove bungee cords, untie knots, scurry a short distance up sheer surfaces, and climb like crazy. Racoons have more determinations than the guy that sawed through his own arm to get out from under a boulder too. If a racoon cannot find it's way into an enclosed area by climbing the fence, they will search for a tree that has a branch hanging over the enclosure, and drop in from there. The biggest thing to remember with these guys is that they have fingers, and are about as intelligent as a toddler. Think of how many cupboard doors you have to zip-tie shut when you've got a toddler running around. Now imagine that the toddler is hungry and knows each of those cupboards contains food. That is a racoon.

#62 joeboxer

joeboxer

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Mole attack??
About a month ago, I found my female box turtle laying on her side, swollen sut eye, flies around her head, and blood from her her sides. I thought she was dead! She has been in the family for 35 years ( I took over care from my dad who turned 80 and move to a condo) On closer inspection, she was still alive although with labored respiration, and she was missing her left front foot (at about the wrist) and most of her right rear foot (just below the ankle) After a vet visit, daily antibiotic injetions, eye ointments, soaks and creams, she is doing well as her wounds are slowly healing. I keep her inside for now.

She was in a well protected outdoor enclosure, which I built last year when she and her companions came to me.
The only other time I had seen a similar injury, was when a juvinile eastern box turtle I raised from a hatchling was attacked by a racoon (about 15 years ago). I found her outside the pen on the lawn missing three legs. She never recovered.

I immediately assumed that racoons were again the ciulprit and put netting (temporary) over the enclosure. We had seen racoons nearby just days earlier. We also had a neighborhood cat roaming around.

This morning, I was looking at the turtles when I saw another female laying on her side, just staring up a me. She had some redd area by her hind leg and I thought it happended again. On closer inspection, her leg was intact, but she had a small cut on her thigh, and a chunk missing from her plastron in that same area. It is a v shaped wedge from the shell. No vital areas exposed. I inspected the cover wihch was intact and could find no entry into the enclosure. I then looked for other clues, and found a long mole tunnel that stopped only inches from where I found her. It had to have been dug within the last 24 hours. I quickly googled for any info on even if it was possible for a mole to do that to a turtle when I found your forum.

Here's my question, is it possible for that to happen, and how do I get rid of them. There have been recent mole tunnels all over the yard.
any help would be appreciated. To dig up the entire pen plantings and all would be near impossible at this point, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Edited by joeboxer, 16 July 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#63 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,363 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

Sounds like you still have a raccoon getting in there somehow or possibly a rat. With the damage you are describing, I don't believe it is a mole. You need to put heavy wiring or a more predator proof covering over your pen and put fencing or stakes close together in the ground about 12 to 18" down around the perimeter so nothing can dig in or out. If you are leaving food out overnight, you need to stop doing that and clean out all food/food dishes. Raccoons are smart and ifi they know there are turtles in that pen or food, they will do everything they can to get in there. Their claws and teeth are razor sharp. Rats can do the same damage and it is the food source that would attract them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users