• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 keroppi

keroppi

Starting Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 04:52 PM

I have two red ear sliders. They are about 1.5 to 2 years old. One grows noticably faster the other one and likes to dig, so I assume that one is a female. (I don't notice difference in shape nor length in their tails nor nails.) Today I noticed that the male one has brown spot on both of his back legs, and seem to have lost his fourth claw (i.e. the outermost claw). I'm suspecting that the female one might have bitten him, or he might have skin infection. What could cause skin infection? How can I cure him? Do I have to keep him out of water? I only have one tank.
By the way, does digging indicate that the female turtle is ready to lay eggs? She's only about 1.5 to 2 years old. Isn't it a bit too early?

#2 keroppi

keroppi

Starting Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 08:06 PM

I just saw my female turtle bite my male turtle's back leg. I guess that's what caused the brown spots. What type of medication should I give him? Currently I put him in a separate container. How do I prevent her from biting him again? I recently noticed that she is too fat and put her on a reduced diet. Did she bite him because she was hungry?
Please give me some suggestions. I'd really appreciate it.

#3 Nikki

Nikki

Normal Member

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:I am married with twin daughters (5 years old).
    I have my own nail salon (two locations) and
    also drive a horse and carriage in my spare time.

Posted 04 June 2001 - 04:49 AM

I have had turtles get bit when they are fighting over food but I also had a turtle that just got aggressive for no reason. She would chase the others and bite the heck out of them. She promptly got traded. Some just get aggressive. You may have to get another tank and not house them together.
Nikki

#4 keroppi

keroppi

Starting Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for your response. My turtle definitely wasn't fighting for food when she bit the other turtle. She just did it all out of sudden. I currently put my male turtle in a separate container. How can I cure him? How do I know if he's recovered or not? Will the brown spots turn green again? Will he grow the nail that he's lost?
I'd really appreciate any response. Thanks.

#5 Nikki

Nikki

Normal Member

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:I am married with twin daughters (5 years old).
    I have my own nail salon (two locations) and
    also drive a horse and carriage in my spare time.

Posted 05 June 2001 - 06:30 AM

You may not be able to cure the aggressive turtle of it's behavior. It depends whether or not the victim-turtle just had it's claw bit off or actually part of the toe as to if it will grow back. I would keep it out of the water as much as possible to treat the brown spots on it's legs--that sounds like a skin infection of some sort. If it is a skin infection or fungus, it should look normal again once it is cleared up.
Nikki

#6 GAMERA

GAMERA

Normal Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 07:46 PM

My sliders had a skin infection, and the female had to take antibiotics. They both had to stay out of the water, til cleared up, which took 3 weeks. The vet also gave me something like iodine or betadine to put on the affected areas.

#7 Sandi

Sandi

Starting Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 01:30 AM

Just wanted to let you know it sounds as though your turtle has the same problem as ours started out with. He started with the same kind of spots on his feet, which I have recently read, may have been caused from not getting his feet totally out of the water enough when he's basking. Like yours, our second turtle started biting at his feet, and now they seem to have gotten infected and poor Bert is a very sick guy. You did the right thing by separating because once the biting started there was no stopping it. The vet that we spoke to today said we could treat the feet with a mild water and iodine solution, or we could also use polysporin or neosporin on the affected areas. Good Luck!

#8 cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:As a young child my aunt would bring me box turtles to play with. I was never allowed to keep them because they need to hibernate and not knowing anything about turtles it was released after a few hours.

Posted 14 June 2001 - 06:08 AM

Let us know the progress of your turtles recovery. I hate to hear when one isn't up to snuff. And what's up with the aggressive behaviors of our turtles anyway? you would think they would be glad to have a companion to waste the day with. I know I've caught my female stretching her neck out and giving the male a stare down and then when they look as if their going to smooch or something she trys to bite him...Are all males destined to have to be inferior to us females? Are we just designed with these traits, and the males are all tring how to live and co-inside with us the best they know how??? I hope I don't have to eventually have to seperate them. The turtles that is because I just don't have the room for another tank that size. And couldn't dream of parting with one.

Darlene

#9 JMWolf114

JMWolf114

Starting Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 06:25 AM

I had the same problem with my tutles, but it was the male that started biting my little female. The had gotten along great together. But I eventually had to seperate them totally. Someone suggested that it was a spring time behavior or mating behavior. I'm not sure.

And my little one wasnt basking enough so she couldnt dry out which cause some or the spot problems. So i take her out at night and put her in a box. I put her back in the water in the morning. That seems to be working.

#10 keroppi

keroppi

Starting Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 June 2001 - 05:12 PM

Putting him out of the water seems to work. The wounds are healing. However, he seems to lose his appetite, cos he doesn't eat as much, or sometimes not eat all, when I feed him. I'm starting to worry. Poor him...
I used to have a small basking area for them, so most of the time their feet didn't get completely dry. Maybe that caused the brown spots originally. Anyway, I bought a large cork bark recently. Hope that after he heals, the biting won't happen again. Otherwise, I might have to separate him forever.

#11 keroppi

keroppi

Starting Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 07:42 PM

I just want to let everyone know the progress of my turtle. It's been a month since I've put him in a separate dry tank (with only a small dish of water). His wound is healing, but I think I'd have to keep him in the dry tank for at least two more weeks before the wound completely healed.

Two weeks ago, he had a very mild pneumonia. I managed to cure him at home by making the tank warmer. He has gained back his appetite although seems to be a bit weak. I put him in the water when feeding him, and he seems to struggle when swimming. How can I help him gain back his strength? Is it bad to keep him in the dry tank for more than a month? I feed him every other day and let him stay in the water for about half an hour. On the days that I'm not feeding him, I try to put him in the water too, for about 10 minutes or so.

#12 BlueWater

BlueWater

Normal Member

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:52gal: 1 RES w/ 2-Parrot Fish
    Fluval4 PLUS
    60Watt Ceramic baskheat
    18inch Reptisun 2.0

20Gal tall: 2 White's TreeFrog

Posted 05 July 2001 - 01:32 AM

How big are your turtles?
How big is the tank?
I read turts get terretorial.
Do each of them have their own
basking area? Hiding areas?
Also, I read changing the terrain
around significantly helps.

#13 keroppi

keroppi

Starting Member

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 09:53 PM

I think all the biting might have started because of my turtle getting some sort of skin infection. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems pretty common that skin infection would cause the other turtle to bite the infected area. I think it was the smell that make the other turtle to think that it was food.

Now I'm not too concerned about the cause. I just want the wound to clear up soon. I've been told that my turtle's recent weakness is due to him being dehydrated. Putting him back into water would slow his healing process. So, I'm not sure what to do. I think I will place him in the water for 12 hours and out of water 12 hours every day.

Does anyone have suggestion? Sandi, sounds like my experience is very similar to yours. How are your turtles doing now? Has the wound completely recovered?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users