90 replies to this topic

#1 Puncture.uk

Puncture.uk

British Turtle Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:53 AM

Hi all,

As turtle-keeping isn't as 'big' as it is over the Atlantic, I thought it would be a good idea to get an idea of just how many Brits are on the forum. The idea would be to help each other on where to buy turtles and/or equipment, if there are any new species on the market over here, good places, bad places etc
It's great having Americans, Canadians etc. on the forum but some things can only be answered by Brits... as in where to buy etc.

Regards, Sam

#2 leon_in_uk

leon_in_uk

Normal Member

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

you know im a brit in the midlands..

dont know alot about turtles yet though dude. would be interesting to know if there are any breeders here too

#3 touie

touie

Normal Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

I'm a brit and know lots of good places to buy things down South ; )

#4 cath1429

cath1429

Starting Member

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Turts, fish, bulldogs, kids etc etc

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:26 PM

Hi there, i just registered today. I live in hampshire and have a stinkpot and two African Helmeted boys (i think!!) :P

#5 Puncture.uk

Puncture.uk

British Turtle Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:47 AM

Glad to see a few more Brits!

I forgot to say - I live in Wolverhampton but moving to Warwickshire within the next two weeks.
I've found stockists of YB's, Loggerheads, Miss. Maps, FRB cooters, Common Snappers in Wolverhampton but they have all been at places that ifter have sick / porly looked-after stock :(

I would very much appreciate if any of you guys know any stockists of any other turtles in the West Mids / South Staffs / Warwickshire area!

I have been on to South Coast exotics and exotic-pets but I'm still searching google every day to try and find more internet based stockists.... surely there must be more!

Sam

#6 pompeyfan

pompeyfan

Starting Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

I live in hampshire and in recent years, apart from south coast exotics there have not been many dealers that bother with turtles. Have you tried crystal palace reptiles?, i have had to travel over the years to get specimens, a pain, but snakes and lizards dominate the UK market. Happy hunting :rolleyes:

#7 Puncture.uk

Puncture.uk

British Turtle Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

I live in hampshire and in recent years, apart from south coast exotics there have not been many dealers that bother with turtles. Have you tried crystal palace reptiles?, i have had to travel over the years to get specimens, a pain, but snakes and lizards dominate the UK market. Happy hunting :rolleyes:

Thank you Pompeyfan, I've tried CPR a few weeks back but sadly they're only got YB's (well, according to their website anyway) I envy you living so close to South Coast Exotics!! <_<
I've googled till I fall asleep and start to dribble on my keyboard but STILL cannot find hardly any places that have not already been mentioned! :( - Is there some kind of Masonic society I need to join to get the golden keyword for Google or something? :rolleyes:

Hi there, i just registered today. I live in hampshire and have a stinkpot and two African Helmeted boys (i think!!) :P

Hello Cath,

Are there many species of turtle available in your neck of the woods?

#8 touie

touie

Normal Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:41 AM

wow there seems to be quite a few of us from Hampshire ; )

#9 cath1429

cath1429

Starting Member

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Turts, fish, bulldogs, kids etc etc

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

Thank you Pompeyfan, I've tried CPR a few weeks back but sadly they're only got YB's (well, according to their website anyway) I envy you living so close to South Coast Exotics!! <_<
I've googled till I fall asleep and start to dribble on my keyboard but STILL cannot find hardly any places that have not already been mentioned! :( - Is there some kind of Masonic society I need to join to get the golden keyword for Google or something? :rolleyes:
Hello Cath,

Are there many species of turtle available in your neck of the woods?

:) Hi there, there are maps, musks, ybs, the odd chinese softy, mainly its what gets gifted in because people cant care for or whatever reason!!? even though i ve had one of my Helmeteds for over two years i went in blindly, its only in the last year i ve really been resurching (sp) turts and finding out how to improve there lifestyle. The Aquatic centre sold them with just basic answers to my questions s im still learning

#10 touie

touie

Normal Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:04 AM

just thought I'd say hello puncture as I've just realised who you are from the other site! ; )

#11 Puncture.uk

Puncture.uk

British Turtle Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:22 AM

lol, hello touie!! *waves*

#12 paul112

paul112

Long Term Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

I'm one of the more 'senior' UK members here. A good shop (my local) is www.exoticpetscumbria.co.uk although I suggest you ring them up as the website is neglected. All the animals I have seen are in good health and excellent quality.
Paul

#13 Puncture.uk

Puncture.uk

British Turtle Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:09 AM

I'm one of the more 'senior' UK members here. A good shop (my local) is www.exoticpetscumbria.co.uk although I suggest you ring them up as the website is neglected. All the animals I have seen are in good health and excellent quality.
Paul

Hi Paul,

Yeah, I have been on www.exoticpetscumbria.co.uk a few times over the last 6 months and havent seen anything change on there. I phoned up about two months ago but the guy who I spoke to couldn't really help. He just said they're getting in a new delivery soon and for me to keep calling back as he didn't know what they were. As a business, I thought it would have been more professional had he had taken my number and phoned me back - but maybe I expect too much :)
I will give them another call maybe mid-week. I would have thought there would have been loads of internet-based pet stores than offer turtles - google doesn't seem to get many matches :(

#14 paul112

paul112

Long Term Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:22 AM

Its a one man buisiness basically, and Adam isn't one to go crazy to help, but he is a very knowledgeable person, with a nice collection of well kept animals. I also realise that there are not many UK based sites to buy turtles. I have found www.exotic-pets.co.uk, but I have never ordered anything off them and so I am unsure of their quality. A lot of the animals are WC, but so are most of the exotic animals in the trade.
Paul

#15 leon_in_uk

leon_in_uk

Normal Member

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:05 AM

just phoned a local equatics. they can get red and YBS and MAP turtles delivered. 19 i was interested in MAP turtle but how big do these grow? bigger then musks???

also just checked that site above guys and they have helmeted turtles in stock 22..

what are these like are there any pics around here?

Edited by leon_in_uk, 25 September 2006 - 09:08 AM.

#16 touie

touie

Normal Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:57 AM

it depends on which species of map, males usually stay small females can grow much bigger! Its also not possible to sex babies unless they've been heat incubated

#17 leon_in_uk

leon_in_uk

Normal Member

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

they are bread in costa rica and are not aspecific type.. they are only 5cm too so wouldnt know if it was male or female yet, so would have to take the risk...

hopefully it will be male... what you think guys? 19

#18 touie

touie

Normal Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

personally I wouldn't bother, I'd look for a male rescue. A female will grow too big for your set up

#19 leon_in_uk

leon_in_uk

Normal Member

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:16 AM

holly bush nr cannock in mids have

mud turtles - 19.99

Missippi Map - 24.95

Western Painted - 24.95

just thought i woould post...

how big do painted go?