• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan.Cruz

Jonathan.Cruz

Starting Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

Hey everybody, I just joined this great place and wanted to show everybody my tank setup. If anybody has any suggestions/recommendations I would appreciate the input. There are some early pictures of the initial setup when I upgraded to my tank, as well as current pictures of my setup.

Here's a description of what's used in my setup:
- 120 gallon Great Lakes tank (purchased from a great aquarium store in Wisconsin for $150)
- Guardian 300W heater
- Rena Filstar xp3 using sponge pads for mechanical filatration, 1L of ceramic rings, and 2L of EHEIM Ehfisubstrat Pro
- Reptisun 10.0 & basking bulb
- Coral I brought back to the US from a trip to Mexico (had washed onto the beach from a hurricane, so I didn't kill anyting :) ), random rocks, and filter sand & river rocks as substrate.
- Some live and plastic plants
- Home-made basking area
- Fake Driftwood

The initial setup:
Posted Image

Second arrangement:
Posted Image

Current setup:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So... any suggestions or ideas to make my setup any better? I have considered building one of those BEAUTIFUL above tank basking areas some people have, but I don't think the current location of the tank will allow it because of the low ceilings in my room :(.

#2 eclipse5161

eclipse5161

Normal Member

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Sports, History, Animals, Life

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

that is a beautiful Set up and a Beautiful Turtle as well. you also go a really good deal on the tank.

#3 sirturtlemaster

sirturtlemaster

Starting Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

its hard to tell the size of that tank, what is the dimensions? I live near there and might check that tank out.
i would suggest instead of that plexi, go get some drift wood and use that.....also you can get lizard vines and wrap the pvc stuff and will give the turt some privacy

doug

could you tell me where that store is?

thanks

#4 Jordan H

Jordan H

"What is it like when your turtle comes out of its shell?&q

• Members Plus
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

Absolutely astonishing. I wish I could find some black polished stones like. All I can find are black rocks with streaks of tan in it.

#5 Turtles

Turtles

Cavalry Scout

• Members Plus
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:turtles, playing bass, Hunting, military, firearms

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

i like your basking spot that a good idea

#6 VanillaShake311

VanillaShake311

That's KaBlamO!

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  • Interests:I am a biology major at the University of North Texas. I have kept many different types of reptiles over the past few years. Star was my first reptile and the spark of my personal interest in reptiles now. I kept exotic fish before that. I was inspired as a child by Jane Goodall and Robert Ballard... I got the pleasure of being picked out of my whole elementary school when I was 8 yrs old to show Robert Ballard around. I was extremely excited. Now looking forward to making my own impact on the world.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

Here is an old picture of my 120 gallon.... I have added another filter to the tank and fake plants on the basking area..... plus crushed coral substrate for the two male DBTs I have in there. The fish are going to an aquarium near me. Need to wait for a warm day to take them though. The large turtle Star in the picture is now alot larger and in a 200 gallon tank now. I also have alot more driftwood in there. I really need to get a new picture of what it looks like currently. But maybe my tank below will give you some ideas who knows.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Jonathan.Cruz

Jonathan.Cruz

Starting Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

its hard to tell the size of that tank, what is the dimensions? I live near there and might check that tank out.
i would suggest instead of that plexi, go get some drift wood and use that.....also you can get lizard vines and wrap the pvc stuff and will give the turt some privacy
doug

could you tell me where that store is?

The name of the store is Ocean Dreams (formerly Aquatic World) in Oconomowoc Wisconsin. The new website is www.oceandreamsandaquariums.com. I purchased the tank when they were switching management and names, so I don't know if they are normally that cheap. I believe the dimensions are 48x24x24.

Thank you for the suggestion of lizard vines, I may try that out. I am also considering fabricating something more natural looking

Absolutely astonishing. I wish I could find some black polished stones like. All I can find are black rocks with streaks of tan in it.

I actually bought the smooth river rocks from Petco, so you may be able to find them pretty easily if you have one by where you live.

Here is an old picture of my 120 gallon.... I have added another filter to the tank and fake plants on the basking area..... plus crushed coral substrate for the two male DBTs I have in there. The fish are going to an aquarium near me. Need to wait for a warm day to take them though. The large turtle Star in the picture is now alot larger and in a 200 gallon tank now. I also have alot more driftwood in there. I really need to get a new picture of what it looks like currently. But maybe my tank below will give you some ideas who knows.

How did you construct the ramp for your above tank basking area? Also, what is the green stuff... looks like reptile carpet (not really sure what it is called)

Edited by Jonathan.Cruz, 17 January 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#8 VanillaShake311

VanillaShake311

That's KaBlamO!

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  • Interests:I am a biology major at the University of North Texas. I have kept many different types of reptiles over the past few years. Star was my first reptile and the spark of my personal interest in reptiles now. I kept exotic fish before that. I was inspired as a child by Jane Goodall and Robert Ballard... I got the pleasure of being picked out of my whole elementary school when I was 8 yrs old to show Robert Ballard around. I was extremely excited. Now looking forward to making my own impact on the world.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

Jonathan.... The ramp was made from a sheet of plexi glass that I torched and slowly bent it. The green stuff is indoor/outdoor carpet. Cheap and replaceable.

I'll tank some pictures of some of my other tanks when my digital camera finishes charging.

#9 VanillaShake311

VanillaShake311

That's KaBlamO!

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:03 PM

Posted Image

#10 Jonathan.Cruz

Jonathan.Cruz

Starting Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:23 AM

Jonathan.... The ramp was made from a sheet of plexi glass that I torched and slowly bent it. The green stuff is indoor/outdoor carpet. Cheap and replaceable.

I'll tank some pictures of some of my other tanks when my digital camera finishes charging.

Thanks so much! I can't believe that I did not think of doing that, but at least now I have one possible way to re-do my basking area. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users