• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mybalihai

mybalihai

Starting Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

I'm helping my niece on a school paper listing the 5 smallest torts in the world. So far I have the smallest & the 2nd smallest. I've been searching the internet but can't seem to find info on the remaining 3. <_<

Thanks,
[:turtle] Janelle

Smallest: Homopus signatus, Speckled Cape Tortoise AKA Speckled Padloper
2nd Smallest: Testudo kleinmanni, Egyptian Tortoise

#2 dearnhardtsr3

dearnhardtsr3

Normal Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

this is what i have found in a book i have but as you may have already found out the more information you try to find the more different answers you get for the same thing, so im not sure if this is correct,

egyptian tortoise (testudo kleinmanni) seldom bigger than 6 inches.

speckled cape tortoise (homopus signatus signatus) less than 4 inches is normal.

serrated star tortoise (psammobates oculiferus) rarley get to 6 inches.

african tent tortoise (psammobates tentorius trimeni) no size given but says it is one of the smallest tortoises.

pancake tortoise (malacochersus tornieri) around 5 inches

madagascan spider tortoise (pyxis arachnoides) under 6 inches

another tortoise i read about but can't find anything on right now is the pygmy tortoise.

hopefully this can get you going the right way to find what your looking for and others that know more than me can answer you better.

#3 Batagur

Batagur

• Members Plus
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:41 AM

egyptian tortoise (testudo kleinmanni) seldom bigger than 6 inches.
speckled cape tortoise (homopus signatus signatus) less than 4 inches is normal.
serrated star tortoise (psammobates oculiferus) rarley get to 6 inches.
african tent tortoise (psammobates tentorius trimeni) no size given but says it is one of the smallest tortoises.
pancake tortoise (malacochersus tornieri) around 5 inches
madagascan spider tortoise (pyxis arachnoides) under 6 inches
another tortoise i read about but can't find anything on right now is the pygmy tortoise.

There's no such thing as a pygmy tortoise and pancake tortoises definately get larger than 5 inches, more like 8 inches.

The Homopus, Psammobates, and Pyxis species, As well as Testudo kleinmanni/werneri are all going to be your smallest tortoises in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users