• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 simoneer

simoneer

Starting Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

I made the above basking tank based on Breigh's idea.

Posted Image

Here is my tank set up.

Posted Image

The top tank is an exact measurement to the bottom so that it sits directly on top so that it can open this way for easy access to everything in the water.

Posted Image

I used a log ramp like this that's attached to the basking platform with zip ties, then the ramp just sits on top of a turtle dock.

Posted Image

And this is Turtle in her home, it took only about 15 minutes for her to walk up and start basking.

These are just a few pics I've used here, you can see more of my turtle and setup.
http://s190.photobuc...s/z76/simoneer/

#2 Dale D

Dale D

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Frogs, Terrariums, Vivariums, Planted Tanks, Evolution.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

Nice Job. [:cheers]

#3 Seven2

Seven2

addicted...may need therapy.

• Members
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

Very nice and I like the idea of using the little logs for the ramp.

#4 Turtlestork

Turtlestork

What are you looking at?

• Members Plus
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

That is a real well- thought out idea and I love it. Looks real nice. I especially love the wood in the water section of the tank. Great job.

TS

#5 simoneer

simoneer

Starting Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

Thanks...it took me about 1 month to plan it out and 3 weekends to build, all I was hoping for is that my turtle would use it- and she does.......she's very comfortable in there - yay !!

#6 helter

helter

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

Beautiful job.....your turtle will be very happy there.

#7 Breigh

Breigh

It's true frogs were turtles without shells!

• Members Plus
  • 1,055 posts
  • Interests:Turtles of course!<br />I also like to read a lot, download TV shows and movies (Bit torrent rules!). I cross stitch, quilt, hang out with friends, gab online and all the other geeky stuff.
  • Last Blog Entry:
  • A Sweet Proposal

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

Oh wow what a great job!!! :) I love how you used the wooden thingies as a ramp, I never would have thought of that... makes it really natural looking :) TWO THUMBS UP!! :D

If I could make one quick suggestion though. It might be better if you moved the UV light over next to the basking light. They really get little to no UV when they are in the water and get the bulk of it when they are basking. It would be more beneficial to your turtle to have it above where they bask.

Otherwise though, totally impressed! You guys are all putting me to shame now! :P

I'm soon going to be planning my above tank basking area for my 95gal corner tank and I may just swipe your little logs idea! :P

Edited by Breigh, 12 July 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#8 waterlily

waterlily

Normal Member

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:04 PM

amazing now I feel waterlily isn't getting the best care I could be giving her. Good ideas for the winter, she enjoys out in her pool for the summer right now!

#9 Chris136

Chris136

Breeding Ambos

• Members Plus
  • 1,251 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Music Production, DJing, Computer Sciences, Snowboarding, Video Gaming.

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Wow you even have it hinged, very impressive!

#10 LizMarie

LizMarie

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Animals of all kindsz, Enjoying Life, Writing, Reading, and trying my best to become someone in the medical field;: either a Nurse or Vet.. ;)<br /><br />Have a Good Day, Sunshine!!

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

Lovely.. ur turtle is in Heaven.. How many gallons is the tank?

#11 JoeM

JoeM

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

Wow! Great setup. Your turtle must be really happy in there.

#12 amyres

amyres

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

My goodness thats beautiful!

#13 laurynskye

laurynskye

Life's better with animals.

• Members Plus
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and nature

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

That is awesome!

#14 Rhykiru

Rhykiru

Normal Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:16 AM

nice setup, beats my above ground :P

But is that blue light tube on the left side in your tank and above that water? I would be scared my turtle would touch it

#15 simoneer

simoneer

Starting Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

Oh wow what a great job!!! :) I love how you used the wooden thingies as a ramp, I never would have thought of that... makes it really natural looking :) TWO THUMBS UP!! :D

If I could make one quick suggestion though. It might be better if you moved the UV light over next to the basking light. They really get little to no UV when they are in the water and get the bulk of it when they are basking. It would be more beneficial to your turtle to have it above where they bask.

Otherwise though, totally impressed! You guys are all putting me to shame now! :P

I'm soon going to be planning my above tank basking area for my 95gal corner tank and I may just swipe your little logs idea! :P

I would have to say that the log ramp is my favorite part of the above tank...I personally think it's really cute looking and VERY EFFICIENT for Turtle - she walks up and down without hesitation, and without fear. It is natural to her.

Your suggestion about the UV light - I totally agree with you, I have been moving it around from one day to the next, cause Turtle has been indecisive lately with swimming and picking basking spots (she's got lost of room on the platform and she also basks on the ramp and dock...that pic was taken just after she came off the ramp (basking). I may actually decide to go back to the long flourescent bulb to cover the whole top tank, if she doesn't decide soon which is her favorite spot.

I wanna thank you for the above tank idea, I would have never thought of making something like that before I read your post...it's my pleasure to hear that my log ramp idea is appealing to you and your turtle. I think that if everyone takes little ideas from here and there, all our turtles will live in turtle heaven.

Edited by simoneer, 14 July 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#16 simoneer

simoneer

Starting Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:32 AM

Lovely.. ur turtle is in Heaven.. How many gallons is the tank?

It's a 40 gallon tank.

#17 simoneer

simoneer

Starting Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

nice setup, beats my above ground :P

But is that blue light tube on the left side in your tank and above that water? I would be scared my turtle would touch it

That blue light above the water on the left is a UVB light, after being lit all day I've touched it and it doesn't get hot at all. So far turtle can't reach up from the water and touch it. I realize if she gets any bigger that might be a possibility... I'm keeping an eye on her and if need be I will alter. In any case as of now she knows it's there but doesn't pay any attention to it.

#18 Frankie Goes to Hogwarts

Frankie Goes to Hogwarts

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

It looks absolutely beautiful! I'm going to take a look at your other pics too. I love the rocks and plants you chose - they really add to the look. Did you use artificial plants? They look great!

ETA - I LOVE the shot where she is basking with her front legs hanging over the edge. I think they look so cute when they do that!

Edited by Frankie Goes to Hogwarts, 15 July 2007 - 09:12 AM.

#19 simoneer

simoneer

Starting Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

It looks absolutely beautiful! I'm going to take a look at your other pics too. I love the rocks and plants you chose - they really add to the look. Did you use artificial plants? They look great!

ETA - I LOVE the shot where she is basking with her front legs hanging over the edge. I think they look so cute when they do that!

Thanks Frankie, I'm proud of my turt and it makes me happy to know that she is comfortable in her settings. The plants that are in the above tank are all artificial (which she doesn't bother with), and the ones in the water are all real (she eats on a regular basis). I replenish weekly with the real ones, so every week the water tank looks a little different.

#20 berkleykc

berkleykc

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

Oh wow!! THat is gorgeous! Great job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users