• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 punkflash54

punkflash54

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

i read somewhere that you can use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to treat shell fungus? has anyone else tried this? i need to find out how to treat shell rot quickly....my red bellied cooter has hsd several of her scutes turn white and they are also soft to touch. i have looked at other pictures of shell rot and it seems to be exactly what my turtle has. and also does putting anti-fugus stuff for fish in the tank help?

#2 Minotaur

Minotaur

Husbandry Fanatic

• Members Plus
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Husbandry of animals, reptile/amphibian catching, bird-watching, bad action movies, and hiking/fishing/camping/etc.

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

i read somewhere that you can use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to treat shell fungus? has anyone else tried this? i need to find out how to treat shell rot quickly....my red bellied cooter has hsd several of her scutes turn white and they are also soft to touch. i have looked at other pictures of shell rot and it seems to be exactly what my turtle has. and also does putting anti-fugus stuff for fish in the tank help?

I'm surprised nobody has replied to this yet. You can treat the turtle by dry-docking it (keeping it out of water for a few hours at a time) in a warm (but not hot) place. You can also give it soaks in water containing aquariums salt before dry docking it. Also, you can use betadine or nolvason (both act as fungicides)... I've also heard of people using athletes foot cream, but I'm not sure if that's considered a good idea or not haha.

I used some machalite green in my tank when I was treating a wild-softshell for a fungal infection and it worked alright.

Bottom-line though... if the shell rot has spread to several of the turtle's scutes you should probably take it to a vet. If the fungus gets into the turtle's blood stream it will become septic, and will die shortly after.

Good luck in treating your cooter.

#3 punkflash54

punkflash54

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:17 AM

thanks for the reply. i have been using betadine and dry docking and she already seems to be improving a little bit.

#4 MouhotiiFan

MouhotiiFan

Rockin Acreage

• Moderator Team
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

Can you post pictures of your turtle's shell please? I will try to assist you.

No H2O2 please...

Steve

#5 luna1580

luna1580

confirmed turtle addict

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:i use a macbook computer (which i LOVE!)<br /><br />please contact me @ luna1580@gmail.com<br /> or<br /> luna1580@mac.com<br /><br />if you want to know anything about me the TT doesn't provide. -i'm too lazy to type it all again!<br /><br />happy turtling, and love to all chelonians!<br /><br />-always, laura o.

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

peroxcide could work, but might be painful to the turt. also, the process by which peroxcide kills pathogens also can kill healthy living tissue, that's why for people the bottle says "not for use on deep or puncture wounds." the treatment you're using sounds good :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users