• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vada83

vada83

Starting Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

OUr three toed box has one sunken in eye that she had when we bought her 2 weeks ago.
It doesn't look infected but has anyone ever had one with a sunken in eye rather than a swollen eye?
We are taking her to the vet in 2 days but I just don't know???

#2 Sand & Sea

Sand & Sea

Normal Member

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Aquaculture, crafts, marine invertebrate biology, paranormal, telekinesis and of course herpetology!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Could be dehydration. Has she been drinking and soaking in enough water? Try giving her daily soaks in luke-warm water, if you don't do that already. Leave her in the water for about 30 minutes at a time... only have it about an inch or two deep if she is an adult. If she starts to float, lower the water level... allow her to drink what she wants, and she may also defecate(poo) in it as well.

If she is on a fruit diet, or gets alot of fruit, this could also be causing some dehydration. Some fruits are good for rehydrating (grapes) but others contain alot of fiber which make her defecate more often, sometimes causing dehydration in box turtles.

I personally keep my box turtles on a very limited fruit diet... in fact, they mostly get grass, hay and some insects as their main diet. I do also offer some commercial box-turtle pellets, as well as calcium dusted red cherries on OCCASION to my females. But other than that, I do not offer fruit.

The vet, if experienced with reptiles, is a very good step however! Keep us updated on your girl.

Edited by Sand & Sea, 17 July 2007 - 03:25 PM.

#3 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

If it's only sunken in on one of the turtles eyes it could be an injury or something in the eye. If it was dehydration it would be both eyes. What you need to determine now is if this is an injury, foreign body and if it's in an injurt is it an old one or does the turtle need an antibiotic. In the mean time it will not hurt to put a dab of neosporin in the eye ( not the kind with pain killer) my vet said it is actually safer to use that then it is prescription eye medications. Do tkae the turtle to the vet though who can see her and make a determination as to the cause.

#4 vada83

vada83

Starting Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

It is only one eye and she does not eat fruit right now, only some carrots, meal worms, and night crawlers. Her eye doesnt look infected, its not clouded over or anything and it still moves around with moving objects, that is why I think it was an injury in the past that stunted the growth of her eye. Just to be on the safe side though if it is an infection I increased the humidity in the tank to 80% when I get the chance and monitor it when I can.

But then again I could go to the vets and find out something completly different. Thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users