Quail eggs - how to tell if fertile?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Twurtle

Twurtle

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:reptiles, fish, music, tattoos, piercings, medieval, rennaisance, fairies, fantasy

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

I have button quail, 2 females. I just got one of the females to go with my other as a friend so she isn't lonely, but she was living with males previously and she laid an egg this evening (I'm just assuming it was her - my original quail hasn't started laying yet). If it is hers, how can I tell if it is fertile from the male she was previously housing with?

I tried candling it just in case but I'm sure the shell is too thick/dark, I can't see inside at all.

#2 Sand & Sea

Sand & Sea

Normal Member

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Aquaculture, crafts, marine invertebrate biology, paranormal, telekinesis and of course herpetology!

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:34 AM

You won't be able to tell fertility on a quail egg until a bit of incubation. All eggs start out the same way; with no signs of life.

If you want to incubate it, check the weight before you start and then check it during. Weights will change in eggs that have healthy embryos growing inside. This is a good way to know without being able to candle.

#3 Twurtle

Twurtle

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:reptiles, fish, music, tattoos, piercings, medieval, rennaisance, fairies, fantasy

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

Well where would I even be able to find an incubator? I have no idea what kinds of places would have these available. Pet shops?

Also, is it vital that you keep the egg in the same position as it was laid? Because I totally was sooo excited that I just picked it up and showed my mom, but I'm not sure if it's still in the same position.

The thing with button quails is that they never lay on their eggs, it's pretty rare. So they do not even really notice when their eggs are gone.

#4 Sand & Sea

Sand & Sea

Normal Member

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Aquaculture, crafts, marine invertebrate biology, paranormal, telekinesis and of course herpetology!

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:57 AM

You can check any farm store where you buy quail feed. They usually carry them, or can order them. Pet stores sell Hovabator incubators as "reptile incubators" but they are so overpriced it's just pathetic.

Look for the styrofoam Little Giant brands. Cheap, works good, and would be a perfect first incubator.

Quail eggs are nothing like reptile eggs. They NEED to be rotated several times daily(at least 3 times daily) or the embryo will settle on one side of the egg and will attach as it grows, leading to ripped veins and a busted yolk = dead baby.
You can easily ship bird eggs through the mail, and still have a decent hatch rate from them. Shaking them, dropping them or thumping them really hard will damage the air-cell inside, if this is damaged the embryo won't develop, but rotating them gently before or during incubation will NOT harm the egg or the developing baby inside.

Check out this page and do some reading on Incubation. http://www.cityfarmer.org/quail2.html
Scroll down towards the middle and find it. You can also do searches online for Quail Hatching, Quail Incubation, or similar terms to get more detailed information or to compare notes on mentioned methods.

#5 Twurtle

Twurtle

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

Chick-Bator is cheaper than those Little Giant ones. I've already been doing lots of reading on button quail egg hatching and incubating. I know it has to be between 97 and 99F and a 40-50% humidity. I'm just not sure if I can afford these incubators for one little egg, I'm not planning to ever breed again. She's just having fertile eggs from being with a male previously to my owning her.

I just don't want to kill it. :(

#6 Turtlestork

Turtlestork

What are you looking at?

• Members Plus
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

Maybe look for a used one one ebay or improvise and make your own? You'd have to rotate it yourself, probably, but as long as you set some kind of timer that wouldn't be too bad.

TS

#7 Sand & Sea

Sand & Sea

Normal Member

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

Are Chick-bators those little yellow dome things? I've heard they don't work well.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with one egg. Just crack it over a nice hot skillet and have a tiny little omolette. :lol: Or hard boil the little thing and offer it to your tortoises, box turtles, monitor lizard or dog. They'll eat it.

Or hard boil it and pickle it, then you can eat it too.

If you dispose of it now, you won't be killing anything. No nucleus or blood veins have started to develop so there is nothing even slightly resembling a chick inside. It's just an egg.

#8 Twurtle

Twurtle

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:16 PM

Well for these tiny little eggs, all you have to do is just leave it out in the air in your house and after a couple weeks it will just dry up inside. They are between the size of a nickel and a quarter. I just feel bad and I also wanted to try bringing something into life.

I see everyones turtle egg hatching photos and I want to do that, I want to bring life and meaning to this world. I think it would help me through a lot at this point in life. Just killing it won't really do that but make me feel more guilty.

#9 Sand & Sea

Sand & Sea

Normal Member

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

I know how big quail eggs are, and they do make great pickling eggs. There was a seller on eBay a few years back who sold jars of home made pickled quail eggs. Omg, they were outstanding! Can't remember who it was, but eBay doesn't allow food anymore so I lost track of them. But wow, the sweet onion eggs were just perfect. *drool*

We are having a storm here now so I am logging offline. But it's cool that you want to bring something into the world. Maybe you should invest in the larger incubator though; since once you try it you want to do it again and again! :P

#10 xx_shadow_xx

xx_shadow_xx

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

if you left the egg with teh female, she shouldve started incubating it. my kings were actually very good mothers, EXTREMLY aggressive when they were brooding a clutch. as said before, you wont tell if its fertile for a while after being incubated.

#11 Twurtle

Twurtle

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

Kings are different from buttons. Any website I read about button quails says that they most likely will not sit on their eggs. The egg was not freshly laid, it was probably an hour or so earlier than when I found it that it was laid. I didn't even notice it was there until I was freshening their water. It was in a corner all by itself, the quails were on the opposite end of the cage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users