Cache Valley Bee Removal

Jump to content

- - - - -

aquarium with built in drain hole

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tipschihuahuas


    Normal Member

  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

About a year ago my husband bought a used tank that had previously housed a tortoise of some kind. It is a unique tank in that it has an approx. 1" hole in the bottom - I asssume for draining instead of using filtration. It has a built in mesh lid - it slides into place with grooves. Not sure what size the tank is but I'd say about a thirty to thirty-five gallon. It is also more square - or deep - than typical tanks.
I'm wondering if anyone has seen such a tank or if a plug could be used (it didn't come with it but I think it originally had one). I'm thinking of trying to find a plug that fits so I can clean it that way. That, or maybe using aquarium sealant with a piece of glass larger than the hole to permanently plug it and use it for a species that requires a lower water level such as spotties,etc.. Any thoughts, ideas, or experience with such a tank? Should I be afraid of trying to permanently plug it?
Thanks - Holly

#2 Seven2


    addicted...may need therapy.

  • Members
  • 6,294 posts
  • Age: 53
  • Gender:Female

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

What you have is a reptile tank. The hole is there so that cords for haeting devises can be laced through. Does yours have a slate bottom? Some do. I don't think adapting it to hold water would be a good idea.

#3 madmax1


    Normal Member

  • Members Standard
  • 144 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:S.I. NEW YORK

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

you can try a plumbing suply to get some sort of straight 1" outside threadedpipe or pvc with water tight lock nuts with washers, and you can add a ball valve handle like on water heaters to drain the water from bottom of tank
they definatly have valves like that just dont over tighten not to crack glass you will definatly get help from a good plumbing suplie store

you see tanks like that in petland discounts they have there fish tanks set up with the filters draining from the bottom of there tanks they have a pvc tube thats that rises up from the bottom of tank and and draws the water from top of tank to filter. acts like a skimmer especially tanks that sit up high off the floor

Edited by madmax1, 09 September 2007 - 06:40 PM.

#4 Wiggles


    Senior Member

  • Members Plus
  • 1,442 posts
  • Age: 63
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:S. Oregon
  • Interests:RC Jets, Computers, Web design, camping & fishing and of course turtles & tortoises.

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

I have one like that and used it for my Sulcatas when they were small. Only reason I bought it was because it was cheaper than the regular aquarium with no hole.

#5 Seven2


    addicted...may need therapy.

  • Members
  • 6,294 posts
  • Age: 53
  • Gender:Female

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

I'd be concerned that the glass would be too weak to hold water. Also, reptile tanks aren'y sealed as good as tanks made for water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users