• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ronni

Ronni

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:48 AM

I have no clue how to tell if a beak should be trimmed on a turtle or tortoise. My youngest sulcata looks fine to me, but from the day I brought home Sherman I thought hers looked long. Then I read something on here about someone trimming their turtles beak. So, do you trim a sulcata too? If so, how do I know when she'll need it?

#2 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

In general, beaks should be trimmed if they are making it difficult for the turtle to pick up its food or eat. Some turtles never need to have this done because they gnaw on hard things like cuttlebone.

My beak experience is limited to Boxies; but if you could post a pic of your Sulcata, maybe one of our tortoise experts could tell you if it looks OK.

#3 Ronni

Ronni

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

Posted Image

I think that's the best one I've got of her face. I'll have to try again this weekend - oh, maybe this afternoon when I get home. Can you tell from this one?

#4 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

No not from the picture above. I've never know long time keepers to trim sulcata beaks. I've never seen the need in mine either. Although I know have had issues with under/over bite in them that have had professional assistance to correct. Do you give yours cuttlebone or carrot tops to naturally help trim?

#5 EJ

EJ

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

Yup the guy does need a trim but nothing major. It basically needs about half of the top edge removed.

I think that's the best one I've got of her face. I'll have to try again this weekend - oh, maybe this afternoon when I get home. Can you tell from this one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users