• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 forlogos

forlogos

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:06 PM

Doing google searches and such, I'm unable to find info on just what the nutritional content of the various feeder fish are.

I mean nutritional content like protein - ?%, carbohydrates - ?% and so on

All I find are statements like
"goldfish have too much fat"
"minnows and guppies are better than goldfish"

It seems everything I find is anecdotal and opinion based. Does anyone know the actual nutritional values (numbers) to back up the advice given about feeders?

Granted, the actual content of a fish will vary based on what it's been eating, but there should be a common range of values for the various macronutrients (fat, protein, carbs) that the different feeder fish have.

Just curious. I've seen a lot of posts comparing commercial foods with phrases like "Brand X has 48% protein, so its a better choice" but feeder fish comparisons always leave me wanting more info.

#2 beth221

beth221

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

http://www.monsterfi...ead.php?t=12521

http://www.wetwebmed...m/goldfshfd.htm

i have heard feeding goldfish can be a hazard because their fins are rigid and after death, in your turtles belly, the nerve activity can puncture and harm the turtle.

There are no carbs in fish, its all protein, unless you are talking about goldfish snacks! (carbo is starch, and sugars, and fish are made of muscle/protein)

#3 forlogos

forlogos

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

thanks for the links - I read them, but they don't state the nutritional contents of feeders.

I read the first link very carefully and now I know why no one ever mentions the nutrient content of feeders, and I quote:

"there is no real data for the nutritional profiles of aquarium fishes"

lol

#4 Paradon

Paradon

What is this a Sunday school?

• Members Plus
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

Really, when you feed whole prey, it is generally nutritionally balanced...providing that your feeder have been fed well. That's why I say to feed whole prey when you feed your turtle protein food. But feeder goldfish has thiaminase that can cause thiamin, or vitamin B1, defficiency. So I would avoid any fatty fish, that includes goldfish and only feed it on occasion.

#5 forlogos

forlogos

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

There are no carbs in fish, its all protein, unless you are talking about goldfish snacks! (carbo is starch, and sugars, and fish are made of muscle/protein)

I just got this now...lol!! :D

Just curious, and I'm not going against the good advice on limiting goldfish intake....how is it that it's known that goldfish have thiaminase? I mean, there's no data on the nutritional profile of aquarium fish. So is it from from analysis of related fish that do have data and deducing from there, or was it from having a turtle (or any animal) eat an amount of goldfish and noticed thiaminase related symptoms, or is there some hard data out there on the actual nutritional content of feeders that isn't freely available?

I'm really more after just finding out what the data would be. i.e. fish have bones, so they must have some calcium (or something) in them to some amount. so what percent of a fish would be calcium? or phosphrous, or oil, or the different vitamins, etc....

I'm not asking for what would be best to feed a turtle. I just have this intense curiosity that google hasn't been able to help me with. But then again I posted this in the "Dietary concerns" forum...

#6 Paradon

Paradon

What is this a Sunday school?

• Members Plus
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:43 AM

I'm not sure how they came up with that goldfish have thiaminase, but I read it from one of the leading turtle expert's, Highfield, article. Here is the article, so you can read it for yourself: http://www.tortoiset...aquaticdiet.htm

#7 forlogos

forlogos

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

that's a great article, I bookmarked it. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users