Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

Probably been asked before, but turtle tankmates?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fall-apart-dave

fall-apart-dave

Starting Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hi all!

New to turtle keeping, but not new to aquatics or reptiles, just never combined the hobbies!

I have a hatchling musk turtle, and have read that they don't usually bother with catching fish. I am just wondering what, if any, tankmates would be suitable for a musk turtle? I was considering the possibility of red claw crabs, but I am unsure. Or is the advice to just NOT keep ANTHING with turtles?

I have added snails, which do a wonderful job of cleaning the tank. I also plan to breed cherry shrimp and use those as food in the future (once he's a little larger!).

#2 JoJodaPyro

JoJodaPyro

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Reading, Poker.

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

I dont know about Musks, but it took my red ears about 3 days to figure out how to eat them. i think the problem with the little guy is that the crabs will fight back! Everything I have put into my tanks, my turtles have found a way to eat them. But like I said I have no experience with Musks.

#3 beth221

beth221

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

fish are food not friends
hehe

every plant or fish i put in, i expect it to be part of my res or map turtles diet, with that said, my res eats everything, and my map lets plants grow, and has a 4 inch algea eater and some small snails. My res LOVES shirmp, glass shrimp, any plants, any fish, and snails. its fair game in that tank.

#4 Frankie Goes to Hogwarts

Frankie Goes to Hogwarts

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

If you're interested in fish as roomies more than feeders, danios of any kind are a good thing to consider - they don't turn up their toes at the higher nitrate levels that occur in turtle tanks and they are FAST, so even with a turtle that LIKES to hunt, the carnage is minimal.

I've had very good luck with cherry shrimp. Just make sure that whichever tank you put them in is cycling nicely before you get them.

#5 fall-apart-dave

fall-apart-dave

Starting Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:50 AM

I was thinking tankmates purely as a way of cleaning up after the turtle. I like to balance my aquariums so that everything in there has a purpose. I dont mind if the cleanup crew become the occasional snack, but I dont want to be putting new fish or crabs in there every week. I dont mind using things I can breed at home as food - cherry shrimp, guppies, triops. But stuff I can't breed I don't want getting eaten. Which is why I thought about crabs, as the red claw crab doesnt get too big (similar size to the turtle) and the enclosure would be ideal for them.

#6 Frankie Goes to Hogwarts

Frankie Goes to Hogwarts

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

I was thinking tankmates purely as a way of cleaning up after the turtle. I like to balance my aquariums so that everything in there has a purpose. I dont mind if the cleanup crew become the occasional snack, but I dont want to be putting new fish or crabs in there every week. I dont mind using things I can breed at home as food - cherry shrimp, guppies, triops. But stuff I can't breed I don't want getting eaten. Which is why I thought about crabs, as the red claw crab doesnt get too big (similar size to the turtle) and the enclosure would be ideal for them.

Another thing to think about might be snails. With a little guy, I don't recommend the larger snails (I'll spare you the sad story of why), but think about something like Malaysian Trumpet Snails - if they are available where you are (I got mine on eBay). They are very plant friendly - they eat dead plants, but generally leave live ones alone. I give mine occasional algae wafers and other than that, they root through the plants and eat the leftover fish food.

They are definitely the guppies of the snail world, so you may have to do some crowd control, but all in all a good match IMO.

#7 CMH80

CMH80

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

Musk turtles would probably destroy any shrimp, snails or crabs in there tank, but they do seem to have a hard time catching quick fish like danios, guppies, cichlids etc...that's not to say they won't try, and MAY succeed sometimes but not very often. A baby musk especially would have a hard time catching fish, they are not very good swimmers.

#8 Minotaur

Minotaur

Husbandry Fanatic

• Members Plus
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Husbandry of animals, reptile/amphibian catching, bird-watching, bad action movies, and hiking/fishing/camping/etc.

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:51 AM

I keep two rock bass that are about the same size as my musk turtle and a flying fox in my musks tank. He's never bothered them.

#9 GEOvanne

GEOvanne

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:13 PM

i have a pair of RES, theyll eat anything that goes into the water, or at least try it.

i dont know anything about Musks though, mabey they are different.

when they were smaller, i used to put them in the fish tank to have a swim, the fish were too big for them, but theyd go right at the baby snails.
i think the best tank mate for a turtle is another turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users