• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Chang

Andy Chang

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

I notice that my southern painted hatching can only float around and tread water, also that it seems to be unable to dive into the water. He/she stays floating on the surface or bask all day. I believe it's a 2007 hatchling, and SCL is a little less than an Inch

#2 Seven2

Seven2

addicted...may need therapy.

• Members
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

I sounds like RI. There's tons of info here about it, if you want to do a search.

#3 Andy Chang

Andy Chang

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

He's been like this since I got him (2 days ago). He doesn't swim lob-sided, just have a hard time diving. Otherwise, he's eating and basking.

Also there's a slight soft spot near the tail end of the lower-side shell.

I will raise the temperature for now, If it's still a problem I'll have to call a vet on tuesday (monday is a holiday)

#4 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

There was a similar topic about this problem a couple of years ago. Coincidentally, the turtle in that thread was also a very small Southern Painted. Besides a respiratory infection, Matt S. suggested that intestinal gas might prevent a turtle from submerging. Also, another member reported that their new hatchling couldn't dive down when it was first acquired, but "learned" how to do so with time.

Reading that topic may give you further insight into the situation:
http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/index.ph...+submerge\

#5 Andy Chang

Andy Chang

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hmm... how long does it usually take for hatchling's shells to harden completely?

#6 Andy Chang

Andy Chang

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

There was a similar topic about this problem a couple of years ago. Coincidentally, the turtle in that thread was also a very small Southern Painted. Besides a respiratory infection, Matt S. suggested that intestinal gas might prevent a turtle from submerging. Also, another member reported that their new hatchling couldn't dive down when it was first acquired, but "learned" how to do so with time.

Reading that topic may give you further insight into the situation:
http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/index.ph...+submerge\

ooh!! very helpful indeed, THank you very much!

I will keep my finger cross, but I will definitely start looking for a vet in the Boston area so I am ready to contact them if I see any new symptoms

#7 sai_dee

sai_dee

Starting Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

My turtles also usually take some time to learn how to dive, you can try to entice them into diving by offering food that can sink.

Submerged fish flake food usually does the trick.

#8 Andy Chang

Andy Chang

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

i just saw him dive today!! and was under water for 5~10 seconds!! but then he floated right back up once he stopped peddling. is this a good sign?

#9 Frankie Goes to Hogwarts

Frankie Goes to Hogwarts

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 758 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:03 AM

Hmm... how long does it usually take for hatchling's shells to harden completely?

Every Southern painted hatchling I've had has had that softer spot on its plastron. The top shell, while flexible, is much firmer. I don't know if it's normal, but I just wanted to mention that.

#10 Andy Chang

Andy Chang

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

that's exactly how my hatchling is at the moment!

I took my southern painted to the vet last week,
she said that she had not seen a turtle as healthy and active as mine in a long time. Then ranted on about how chinatown turtle are badly taken care of alot of times and they get alot of people bringing thier RES in lil kirtter holders (with almost no water in it) asking why they won't eat.

she also said that the soft plastron is soft because the shell is still thin due to it's young age. also said the either I have the water level too high so if feels insecure about diving in, or it's not heavy enough to keep itself underwater.

I was advised to reduce the water level to ~1-2 inches, and change water often since that's very little water, and raise the water level as the turtle grows bigger. also to keep looking out for any sign of RI or other abnormal behaviors.

#11 Andy Chang

Andy Chang

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

update:

He did it!!! I guess he has finally learned how to submerge, but still doesn't like to do so very often. He always swims back up to the surface begging for food when I'm around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users