78 replies to this topic

#61 LADC

LADC

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Film, Art, Music

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

Here it is almost a new year. Maru first went in to have her operation in May.

I'm sad to report that Maru is not doing very well these days.

We picked her up over two, almost three weeks ago from Dr. Jenkins. She was starting to smell when we brought her in (a bad sign). When we picked her up she had no odor. His group had let her incubate for a week and gave her antibiotics. Very little water time. This did the trick and we brought her home odor-free and energetic. Then the unthinkable happened. I stepped on her.

I weigh 180 lbs. She weighs 4.2lbs. I was wearing slippers, but I did put my weight on her. It was a big shock to me, more to her. She was walking around the house a day after we brought her back, enjoying her freedom after being cooped up in a container for a week. She'd settled on a dark-patterned rug in our dimly lit hall and I was hurrying to the next room. She never stayed in that spot before. I didn't feel anything give or crack, but she's been very quiet ever since. I feel so awful.

So now, we are continuing what the doctor prescribed, antibiotic injections every three days with only 10 minutes in water daily for her. This must be really difficult for a water turtle to take. This gives her just barely enough time to eat and eliminate. She stays in on place continuously.

Any other suggestions for her care is welcome at this time. She has started to smell again and that means she still has infection or worse, necrotic tissue under her acrylic patch.

#62 Callie

Callie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:North American Box Turtles, wildlife rehabilitation and conservation

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that your baby isn't doing better, and about her accident. It must be terrible for her not to be in the water. I'd worry about her getting dehydrated, especially on antibiotics. It's always so hard finding that balance when dry docking is necessary. Are you using Nolvasan at all?

I don't know if this would even be applicable to your situation with such a deep cavity wound, but I do box turtle rehab, and this season I've started experimenting with some new techniques for shell injuries. After reading about this situation, and doing a lot of research, I've started using honey and honeycomb to pack wounds under my patches (in addition to antibiotic therapy). I've had tremendous success, with a decreased incidence of infection and necrosis when I used to battle it horribly. As kooky as it sounds, honey functions as a natural antibiotic, and the honeycomb itself functions as a wet to dry bandage of sorts that helps pull out the necrotic tissue. This is something that would be up to your veterinarian, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck with Maru, and I hope she finds good news in the new year. :)

#63 allison finch

allison finch

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Police Sgt/firearms instructor. I travel to scuba dive and do underwater photography. Studied herpetology in college and do turtle rehabbing.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

Honey is a "sterile" liquid. It will not support bacterial growth.

#64 Brian H

Brian H

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 656 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

oh jeez, she sounds like shes had a rough time, you should probably pen her off to a corner to avoid mishaps again! i feel for ya buddy !

#65 LADC

LADC

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

[quote name='Callie' date='Dec 20 2008, 04:08 PM' post='531247']
I'm so sorry to hear that your baby isn't doing better, and about her accident. It must be terrible for her not to be in the water. I'd worry about her getting dehydrated, especially on antibiotics. It's always so hard finding that balance when dry docking is necessary. Are you using Nolvasan at all?

I don't know if this would even be applicable to your situation with such a deep cavity wound, but I do box turtle rehab, and this season I've started experimenting with some new techniques for shell injuries. After reading about this situation, and doing a lot of research, I've started using honey and honeycomb to pack wounds under my patches (in addition to antibiotic therapy). I've had tremendous success, with a decreased incidence of infection and necrosis when I used to battle it horribly. As kooky as it sounds, honey functions as a natural antibiotic, and the honeycomb itself functions as a wet to dry bandage of sorts that helps pull out the necrotic tissue. This is something that would be up to your veterinarian, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Wow. Thanks for this insight, Callie. Yes, I think she's very dehydrated now. She has very little energy. She just stays in the same place all day and seems greatly relieved when she finally gets her 10 minutes of water. We keep her in water just long enough for her to eat and eliminate. And amazingly this happens almost every time. So at least she's getting food and bowel movements.

I will forward this article to our doctor. We called him yesterday and he told us to gradually increase water time and use iodine on her shell afterwards, to combat the infection. But if we can use honeycomb, she could maybe stay longer periods of time in water. Where do you find the honeycomb?

#66 LADC

LADC

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

I passed Callie's honeycomb idea along to our vet. He said he's used honeycomb in other animals, but in Maru's case, it would have had to go under the existing acrylic patch. We also discussed Nolvasan. He said it's "a poor agent to use against the common pathogens of water turtles."

Maru's general mobility is improving. She eats and eliminates pretty well. She's getting more water time now, increased gradually from her 10 minutes a day, dry-out routine. She still smells like dirty socks, but sometimes it goes away.

My wife (her mom) sleeps with her every night. I don't know how she does it. My wife, Yuki sleeps on her back with Maru on her chest wrapped in a towel. Maru stays that way mostly all night, very quiet and warm.

Today we're going to the park with Maru and her "sister," Jolie. I'll take some pix.

#67 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'm so glad to hear that Maru is showing some improvement! That little angel has had to deal with almost every complication imaginable. What a little fighter she must be!

I've slept with a sick turtle on my chest more than once. They seem to take comfort in our body heat. Yuki must have a beautiful heart to care so much about Maru.

#68 forlogos

forlogos

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

you and your wife are awesome turtle parents, you both really lover her!

It's good to know Maru is getting better, I hope her recovery continues and that she finally heals completely

#69 Erica101

Erica101

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

I just read this whole thread. Maru, you and your wife are in my prayers. Updates please! How is the poor little baby girl?

#70 LADC

LADC

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

MARU UPDATE:

It's Saturday afternoon and right now Maru is sleeping very late with her mom (my wife). Both lazybones. I'm happy to report that she hasn't smelled for three days now. Maru, not my wife. :D

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but Maru has been sleeping with us since we brought her back from the vet. That's over two months! She sleeps between us. She never has any "accidents," she stays very quiet and she keeps very warm this way. Are we nuts?
Every day, we're starting to get her back into her aquarium. But the best thing is that, with a little coaxing, she basks for hours under her 160 watt UV A&B lamp. She doesn't like to be in direct sun. When we put her in the back yard, she'll invariably hide under something. Unlike her "sister" Jolie, who will bask in the sun for a couple hours or more. Maybe today we'll take them to the park for a walk. We live in Culver City and there's a great park close by that has a turtle pond and plenty of grass.

Thanks for everyone's interest and well-wishes.

#71 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

[
Any other suggestions for her care is welcome at this time. She has started to smell again and that means she still has infection or worse, necrotic tissue under her acrylic patch.
[/quote]

I know this is an older post but is there any reason her patch cannot be removed? Has the Vet checked to make sure there is no infection under the patch ? I know in her case she had to have the patch but it is possible after all this time enough healing had taken place to remove it. When we get gopher tortoises hit by cars missing large areas of shell, we generally treat them as open wounds and allow a natural healing process. In some cases the shell is simply not stable enough, and we have to do patches. Our vet does X-rays to see if the healing is enough to remove the repair work. Just a thought. It would be terrible to have an infection when you have done so much to help the turtle.

#72 LADC

LADC

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

[
I know this is an older post but is there any reason her patch cannot be removed? Has the Vet checked to make sure there is no infection under the patch ? I know in her case she had to have the patch but it is possible after all this time enough healing had taken place to remove it. When we get gopher tortoises hit by cars missing large areas of shell, we generally treat them as open wounds and allow a natural healing process. In some cases the shell is simply not stable enough, and we have to do patches. Our vet does X-rays to see if the healing is enough to remove the repair work. Just a thought. It would be terrible to have an infection when you have done so much to help the turtle.

This kind of surgery has a much higher success rate with tortoises. Water turtles are a different ballgame. The leakage wreaks havoc on the healing process and water carries a lot of bacteria. The last time we visited the vet, he said that removing the acrylic would be more painful and invasive to Maru. What you're saying mirrors the major decision that the vet had to weigh when she started to smell. It's like a mildew smell. But it comes and goes.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Edited by LADC, 14 February 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#73 MouhotiiFan

MouhotiiFan

Rockin Acreage

• Moderator Team
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Unfortunately, because this is a family orientated site, I deleted your comment in regards to you intimate portion of your life.

#74 LADC

LADC

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

Unfortunately, because this is a family orientated site, I deleted your comment in regards to you intimate portion of your life.

That's very bizarre. I know I didn't say anything beyond G-rated. I know. I'm in the film business and deal with the MPAA regularly. Anyone who has turtles probably already knows that both reptiles and mammals will occasionally mate.

#75 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but Maru has been sleeping with us since we brought her back from the vet. That's over two months! She sleeps between us. She never has any "accidents," she stays very quiet and she keeps very warm this way. Are we nuts?

If you're nuts, then so am I. I totally understand how you feel, and can imagine myself doing the same thing for one of my own turtles. (Just be careful that you don't roll over onto her! :o )

I'm so impressed by everything you've gone through to help Maru. She's certainly fortunate to be in a home where she's loved so much! I'm sending out a turtle prayer that the rest of her recovery will go smoothly.

#76 Erica101

Erica101

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

Umm...what?

#77 LADC

LADC

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

Here's a new picture of Maru. She's enjoying some limited aquarium time. We still have the acrylic patch on her. And she still has a faint mildew odor. She is very quiet at night. But has good energy in the day. She eats and eliminates pretty regularly. We're hoping she'll make it through all this.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0004.jpg

#78 LADC

LADC

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

One more. Maru says thanks for everyone's encouragement.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0003.jpg

#79 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Aww, what cute pictures! Maru has been blessed with both beauty and strength. Keep up the improvement, little angel!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users