Photo
- - - - -

Could I put these two turtles in the same tank?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cooter brown

cooter brown

• Members Standard
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

I have three turtles and three tanks. I got my first turtle in Aug. and he is a cooter. He is much bigger than my other two turtles. The second turtle I have is a r.e.s. got him in Nov. name Bambam and on Christmas Eve I got my third turtle Baby Dino also, a r.e.s. Well, both Bambam and Dino shared a tank at the beginning but, then Dino got sick with r.i. and I had to separate the two. Since then Bambam has gotten bigger and Dino hasn't grown much. Keeping three tanks isn't fun and I really want them to live together so I would only have two tanks to keep up. But, I'm worried about the difference in size. I would hate for Dino to get hurt. He is my baby :unsure: I was thinking about housing them in one tank but, feeding them out of their tank so they wouldn't fight over food. Am I taking a risk if I house them together. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

if you try it keep a close eye on them and feed them in a sperate tank

#3 Guest_zoologist_*

Guest_zoologist_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

housing them together is a bad idea. RES are notorious for being territoral and if they havent been together since hatchlings they will most likely fight. keep the three sep. tanks. its a pain to clean, but thats what happens when you have multiple turtles!

#4 TurtleMomma

TurtleMomma

If you don't like turtles, I can't know you anymore.

• Members Plus
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, cats, rats and turtles. Photography. Plants.

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

Hi. I have introduced small turtles into a larger turtles tank with no problems (RES), and have done it with others who irritated the heck out of each other. Never any violence, but that is always possible. If you try to do it you literally have to devote HOURS of time to watch their behavior and act accordingly, such as removing one if it's getting picked on. It's hit and miss...you never know until you give it a try. Best of luck to you and your babies.

#5 turtlemadness

turtlemadness

• Members Plus
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

Even if they get along fine together now it doesn't mean they always will.......IMO you will eventually need a very large tank to keep them from fighting. I have two DBTs together for a couple of months and they seem to care less about the others presence in the tank...so it just depends on the turtles themselves but there is always a risk involved.

#6 TheComputerGremlin

TheComputerGremlin

Starting Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Paranormal stuff, Animals, Video games

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Three tanks is your best option. Just because they may get along right now doesn't mean that one day, one will snap. You can try to give one away to a family member or friend ...

#7 Shashi M.

Shashi M.

RES Guy.

• Members Plus
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

The only advise that I can give is to isolate your two RES. If do do house them together, or with your cooter, there is a great possibility of waking up one morning to an injured or even worse, a dead RES or cooter as the case might be. Sorry to be harsh but thats the reality of the situation. Keeping the cooter with a RES is a definite no no. Most likely the smaller RES would be vulnerable to the larger one unless you have some really crazy RES like I do :P.

#8 ninja_turt

ninja_turt

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, biking, fishing, relaxing at the zoo

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

or just get a bigger tank.....if u can't afford a glass tank then get a rubbermaid storage tank.....

#9 TheComputerGremlin

TheComputerGremlin

Starting Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Paranormal stuff, Animals, Video games

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:40 PM

A bigger tank won't necessarily solve the problems. And then you have one turtle in a huge tank.

#10 Guest_zoologist_*

Guest_zoologist_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

:huh: whats wrong with one turtle in a huge tank?

#11 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

RESIDENT EVIL FANATIC!

• Members Plus
  • 1,855 posts
  • Interests:1.God<br />2.My wife<br />3.Bowser my Ally Snapper!<br />4.Guns and Firearm Rights<br />5.Video Games

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:49 AM

Its been my experience that if there is a big size difference, it probably won't work out. Its best to raise them together and you will still need a big tank. I could be wrong so i don't want everyone ganging up on me.

#12 twiztidfaces

twiztidfaces

Rah Rah Ra Rah!

• Members Plus
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:10 AM

Housing them together is possible, but you will have to watch for aggression. I don't know why RES are being made out to be killers because they are not. As with most species it can happen, but it won't always happen. I keep two RES and a smaller map with them without any problems. Just depends on the turtle. What size tank are you thinking of putting them in? A small tank would be asking for trouble.

#13 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

think about this they survive together in the wild all the time

most agression is about 3 things

space , food, females

keep those things in mind and any animals can live together with others of its kind

if u feed sperately and there not competing for a female and theres enuff space they should be fine as long as u keep and eye on them

#14 Andy

Andy

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

Its always a gamble introducing turtles. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. I have some rather odd combintations that work, while some of my others of the same species can not even be housed together. My biggest concern with introducing the two you have would be size difference. The one looks like it is quite a bit bigger. It sounds like they have lived together before so it may work, or it may not. If you do try to house them together again make sure yuou have a large enough tank and watch them very carefully for awhile.

#15 cinderella

cinderella

Box Turtle Rescuer

• Members Plus
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

My RES girls have about that much difference in size and they do great together. They have been together since hatchlings though (they both had their egg tooth still when I bought them).

Actually the smaller of my two hasn't grown hardly at all--eats the same amount, lives in the same environment etc and is healthy--just small. Actually spent about 3 months in the care of my sister who didn't provide UVB light, adequate food or filtered water. I do believe this plays apart in the not growing.

Lesile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users