• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

Ok so i finaly convinced my g/f to let me build a pond yay
so im outside measuring the spot and i hear a rustling aroudnt eh side of hte house

and what do i find stuck in the basement window wells ?

the cutest little baby bunny

he/she ( its a tad young to be sure but im thinking he) was stuck in there for who knows how long :(

but were giving him some food and a safe place for a day or so to get his strenght up and then he can go back tot he woods behind my house

but without further ado here he is

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lspiderl, 29 June 2008 - 12:45 PM.

#2 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

it is now currently in my sparecage and nextdoor to my friendlies trabbit it seems to be relaxing a bit

#3 TurtleMomma

TurtleMomma

If you don't like turtles, I can't know you anymore.

• Members Plus
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, cats, rats and turtles. Photography. Plants.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Awwww, it's so precious!! How old do you think it is?? Looks like he's eating good. That's a good sign. :D

#4 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

its been a while since ive raised kits so i could be off but id say about 2-2 1/2 weeks
its possible its still partialy on milk so im picking up a bottle

it was trapped for long enuff for it to be weak and not put p much a fight when i climbed in and got it (the window well is about 3+ feet deep ) and it couldnt jump out
thankfully its mostly in shade

#5 TurtleMomma

TurtleMomma

• Members Plus
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

Aw, poor little bugger. I loved bottle feeding my squirrel and the tons of foster kittens I've had. It's so rewarding to give them the nourishment they so badly need and see them thrive. This little bird I've got now is a totally different kind of feeding, but still just as rewarding, more of a mess though. :P

#6 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

awwww what a sweet little bunny!

#7 Shashi M.

Shashi M.

RES Guy.

• Members Plus
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

Wow......that little guy/gal really puts a meaning to the word cute. I know that I tell people that when they find a wild animal that the right thing to do is nurse it back to health until its old enough to fend for itself........and then release it back into the wild..........but if I were you, I would keep that bugger (NB: PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MY CRAZY ADVICE!). Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Shashi M., 18 June 2008 - 04:13 PM.

#8 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

Since I rehab baby bunnies I can help you out here.

Milk is a no no for rabbits they get the runs very easily, dehydrate and die. Instead IF the rabbit still needs milk use soy milk only, like enfamil. Put it in a tiny dish. Bunnies aspirate very easily. try feeding organic carrot tops ( their favorite) cut up romaine lettuce, and mostly grasses and non toxic weeds from the yard. Believe it or not baby bunnies can be released at 5- 6 inches but you may want to feed him and let him get stronger before doing so! Good luck with the little cutie.

#9 VanillaShake311

VanillaShake311

That's KaBlamO!

• Members
  • 2,096 posts
  • Interests:I am a biology major at the University of North Texas. I have kept many different types of reptiles over the past few years. Star was my first reptile and the spark of my personal interest in reptiles now. I kept exotic fish before that. I was inspired as a child by Jane Goodall and Robert Ballard... I got the pleasure of being picked out of my whole elementary school when I was 8 yrs old to show Robert Ballard around. I was extremely excited. Now looking forward to making my own impact on the world.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

Very cute... good job helping the little guy. I know you probably are having soo much fun having a baby bunny in your house again :D

#10 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

Since I rehab baby bunnies I can help you out here.

Milk is a no no for rabbits they get the runs very easily, dehydrate and die. Instead IF the rabbit still needs milk use soy milk only, like enfamil. Put it in a tiny dish. Bunnies aspirate very easily. try feeding organic carrot tops ( their favorite) cut up romaine lettuce, and mostly grasses and non toxic weeds from the yard. Believe it or not baby bunnies can be released at 5- 6 inches but you may want to feed him and let him get stronger before doing so! Good luck with the little cutie.

thanks for the advice but im accualy a bunny guy ive currently got 3 and used to breed rabbits

i knwo not to feed milk its a special rabbit formula and of course natrual greens as its able
on that note it has taken some formula ( reluctantly lol) and eaten some greens and it even perked up a bit

i had it in one of my larger epty cages adjoined with my friendlyiest rabbit and it seemed to calm it down but it also seemed tob e a bit skittish int eh large open cage so i icked up a smaller ( med sized hampster cage) cage for it to hang out in for the brief time its with us

once its eating well and up and about again it will get released back into the back yard where ive accualy seen it and its mother playing a few days prior ( they go back and forth under the fence )

but i truely do appriciate the advice had i be unknowledgeable about rabbits it would have been very helpful indeed

i know its on the cusp of being able to survive on its own but its littel stint trapped int eh window well left it weakened and the goal is to simply help it get its strenght back b4 release

that said ive also got my contractor making covers for those window wells asap so that this kinda thing doesnt happen again

#11 FiSH*er*

FiSH*er*

Starting Member

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:My babies<br />~ 3 german shepherds: Austin, Kaiya, and Xander <br />~ seal point siamese: Mieko <br />~ bengal cat: Bindi <br />~ 3 red eared sliders: Jasper, Jade, and Otis <br />~ 1 southern painted: Mila <br />~ 4 firebelly toads: Kirby, Gus, Pico, and Tiki <br />~ 2 Fowler's toads. <br /><br />I love animals in general, art, teaching art (I'm a high school art teacher), fishing, traveling, primitive country decor, internet surfing, and car shows...especially rat rods!

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:35 PM

Awww what a cute little guy! :wub:

#12 Shashi M.

Shashi M.

RES Guy.

• Members Plus
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

I'm a former rabbit keeper. All died a mystery. That dampered my spirits to get more of these fuzz balls. The only thing with rabbits is that they get too big too fast. You have to soak up the time when they're babies, if you had them as babies in the first place because when they do get big, like cows, they get really wild and uncontrollable........run all over da place........but you gotta love em.

#13 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:13 AM

[quote name='lspiderl' date='Jun 18 2008, 09:23 PM' post='507807']
thanks for the advice but im accualy a bunny guy ive currently got 3 and used to breed rabbits

I am assuming you did domestic rabbits. Wild rabbits are another story. Only 1% of baby ( infant) wild rabbits survive once in captivity. Yours is older so the chances are much better!

#14 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

man i found a large skink an dsome other colorful lizard trapped in teh other one today i scooped them out and they were very eager to run off so they must not have been three long

my contractor needs to hurry with those screens

#15 TurtleMomma

TurtleMomma

• Members Plus
  • 912 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

man i found a large skink an dsome other colorful lizard trapped in teh other one today i scooped them out and they were very eager to run off so they must not have been three long

my contractor needs to hurry with those screens

Yeah, hurry up with the screens! You're gonna have a small zoo living in there soon. ;)

#16 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:57 PM

Ok so big day today was busy doing a billion things

and sadl one of them ment that the baby is gone :(

fir the first tiem since i foudn the little one her mother showed back up in the yard again

and was jstu sitting forlon in the spot they normaly played in

having eaten a bit and perked up a ton we decide dwith mother there that it was the best tiem to release the little one

so i tokker her outside in her little cage an dremoved the top and she jsut sat there for many moments looking out and momma jsut sat there across the yard looking at us

so i picked her up one lest time and gave her a ittle petting and then set her down and gave her a little scooch forward

she looked up and then looked across the yard
and momma darted back under the fence into the woods
and a split second later baby left into action across the yar into the flower bed and sprinted to an dunder the fence

hopefully ill get to se ethem playing in the back yard again in the near future :(

on a side note i save a rather spry frog from teh well today and yelled at my contractor to hurry up wiht those window well covers

#17 TurtleMomma

TurtleMomma

• Members Plus
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

You did a great job with the baby and now they can be together again. I'm sure the Momma is happpy to know her baby is alive and well. She was probably worried and sad without her little one. *pats you on the back* Good job! :)

#18 lspiderl

lspiderl

• Members Plus
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

just a recent update the baby has been seen daily now apperantly living in my front bushes :) and shes gotten a little bigger but is still rather skittish and dives under the bushes rappidly lol

but its good to know shes ok

#19 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

just a recent update the baby has been seen daily now apperantly living in my front bushes :) and shes gotten a little bigger but is still rather skittish and dives under the bushes rappidly lol

but its good to know shes ok

That's great news! I'm glad she's okay and that she has stuck around ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users