• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

For awhile now, I have been keeping Hermit Crabs. Their care is similar to turtles you COULD say, and I just find them so cute. :lol: I buy them with their painted shell, and when they change into a more healthy, natural one, I keep their painted as a souvenir.

This is Neelix (now passed :( ) Hes got skeelz
Posted Image

This is Pichu (not the Pokemon lol) being naughty by climbing upside down, clinging to the wire lid
She had a tank mate Soda (yes, the drink =p) , but sadly I have no pictures of him before he passed :(
Posted Image
Posted Image

Raffa is a new addition to my "crabitat" shortly after Soda passed, so Pichu wouldn't be lonely, BUT hes M.I.A during the day. so I don't have any pictures yet.

Here are some pictures of the cage however:
Posted Image
In case your wondering, the sign in the corner says "No Skinny Dipping!" sense crabs sometimes abandon their shell and run around naked. =P

Posted Image
Posted Image

if you have any questions about my cage or their care ask~ ;)

#2 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

LOL I love the title of your post! I used to have 2 hermit crabs that my parents bought me when we went to Florida. That was the first time I'd ever seen them. They were really neat. Mine always loved to climb, too.

Kind of makes me wish I had another! :) Maybe I'll get a couple for my little boy some day!

Thanks for sharing your pictures!!

#3 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

I have not kept these since I was in third grade I think. I always did like them. Yours are really nice seems you take great care of them. I'm sorry to read you lost a couple though.

#4 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

Most people just buy a little hermit crab kit. but I love to take care of these little guys and they might not come out when I'm awake, but sometimes I look over (its on my desk) and theres a crab digging a hole, thats what makes it fun to keep these guys. I went all out making their crabitat (well over $180 now.) and I change it around every once and awhile.

Raffa, almost EVERYDAY completely rearranges that tank, and I have to fill holes and put everything back while hes sleeping like a baby in the cocohut <<;

little tank tornado :rolleyes:

#5 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

and here is Raffa, decked out for 4th of july, hope he changes shells soon
he is the shyest crab I have seen, or....not seen lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hero_Flame, 09 July 2008 - 09:05 PM.

#6 daniels_mommy

daniels_mommy

Normal Member

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:38 AM

This may make me sound ignorant, but i didn't think there was much to taking care of a hermit crab. The few that I have had, and I had them for years, were very low mateinence. I had sponges with water in them and "crab pellets" for them to eat. Do they need more than that?

#7 StinaUIUC

StinaUIUC

I'm engaged!

• Members
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:01 AM

They're not super hard to take care of...but they do require more than most places will tell you. They need it warm, they need a substrate they can dig in that will keep the humidity high (gravel is NOT a good choice for hermits!), they need both fresh AND salt water in dishes that they can soak in (they will not drown on thier own if they can crawl out of the dish....they'll only "drown" if they're already sick), they need things to climb, and of course they need food and shells they can change into.

#8 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

They're not super hard to take care of...but they do require more than most places will tell you. They need it warm, they need a substrate they can dig in that will keep the humidity high (gravel is NOT a good choice for hermits!), they need both fresh AND salt water in dishes that they can soak in (they will not drown on thier own if they can crawl out of the dish....they'll only "drown" if they're already sick), they need things to climb, and of course they need food and shells they can change into.

That is all correct. they also need sand. even if you already have another substance like crushed coconut substance. they eat sand to help their food digest =) It would be best to give them fresh food everyday (and play around with what you feed them, something one day, something else the next).

I know in my pictures its store bought pet food. but thats just the food thats in there all day, I offer fresh food too, I just take it out after awhile so I don't attract gnats or mites.

The Basics are, you need 3 shells to every 1 crab you have at the least, you need things to climb on (change the tank around when you clean it, crabs love that) offer a fresh water dish, and a salt water (if you don't have much room, just make sure the biggest crab can submerge in the FRESH water, and the smallest can climb out). 1 hide out for every crab, that doesn't mean cocohuts, you'll see a small area BEHIND my cocohut where Pichu sleeps. and keep the humidity up with a sponge or a mister daily.
And cleaning is just rinsing everything out with hot water, replacing substance, and clean the tank gently with some vinegar.

Some people take molters out, but I leave mine in. and some also take their crabs out to bathe, but that might mess up the balance of salt and fresh water in their shell, and stress them out in my opinion.

And that should about cover it? Basically they are very easy to care for, its the TANK that needs attention, lol! :rolleyes:

By the way, Most people argue about this, but they actually do drink from Sea Sponges, but its mostly for humidity. They normally dip their leg/claws in and sip the water directly.

Edited by Hero_Flame, 10 July 2008 - 08:32 PM.

#9 Hermitcrablover12

Hermitcrablover12

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

What size tank and how many in there? Sizes? I have 1 jumbo 4 larges and the rest of the 10 are smalls and 1 teeny. They're in a 55 gallon aquariam. I'll post pictures soon! Do you feed an ALL natural diet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users