improperly identified plant from two pet stores

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Martha

Martha

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Owner of a male painted turtle. Have had him for over 3 years. We went through ups and downs but he's very strong and resiliant! I love Yertle and am glad to have found this message board! :)

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

little bit of background info: I had bought some so called anachris from pets mart and a local fish store. I had been feeding my turt the so called anachris from pets mart and my new so called anachris is in qt from the lfs.

well, I had gone to pick up some stuff from a guy I found on craigslist. he had 20 tanks! anyway!! he had a beautiful planted tank of many plants including anachris and the so called anachris which he calls goldfish weed. they look similiar but the anachris is denser and smaller leaved while the goldfish weed has longer leaves and is not as dense.

my question is this, is the goldfish weed safe for my turt to eat?? he has had it be4, but I'm hesitant to feed it to him again since it's not the correct anachris plant. I would post pics buy my laptop crashed and I'm using my dad's which doesn't have the software to upload my nikon photos. I could try taking a mid quality photo w/ my cell phone?

#2 LisaD

LisaD

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

Stem plants like Elodea densa are often sold as goldfish weed or oxygenators. Anacharis, Brazilian Waterweed, and Elodea are all common names often used to for this species Egeria densa To be certain of the kind of anacharis you are getting always check for the true scientific name.

#3 Martha

Martha

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Owner of a male painted turtle. Have had him for over 3 years. We went through ups and downs but he's very strong and resiliant! I love Yertle and am glad to have found this message board! :)

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:16 AM

thanks LisaD, but now I am thinking that I'm confused about everything. I have the goldfish weed and something-or-other indica. they both look very similiar but are different in density as mentioned above. which is the anachris?

#4 Martha

Martha

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

I don't think that petsmart knows what they are doing b/c the sold me a goldfish that is supposed to be a ryukin but looking at diff. goldfish pics he looks more like a fancy tail... [doh] but he is still very young so maybe he is what they say he is. :)

they also don't have a scientific name listed, I'm going there 2day and I'm going to ask what the scientific name of the anachris they sell is.

#5 jasontang2013

jasontang2013

Walking on Thin Ice at Turtle Times

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

that is not your fault it is the stores fault so dont blame yourself

#6 Brian H

Brian H

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

many times water conditions affect anarchis plumage.

#7 woodpro1102

woodpro1102

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

I don't think that petsmart knows what they are doing b/c the sold me a goldfish that is supposed to be a ryukin but looking at diff. goldfish pics he looks more like a fancy tail... [doh] but he is still very young so maybe he is what they say he is. Posted Image

they also don't have a scientific name listed, I'm going there 2day and I'm going to ask what the scientific name of the anachris they sell is.

Best bet is to learn about what you are looking for before you go to buy it. This way you don't have to depend on the person that labeled the tank whom may or may not have the knowledge. Knowledge is power so doing some research before hand lets you go in and know exactly what you are getting without the items having to be labeled at all. Just my .02

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users