• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scapey Scapes

Scapey Scapes

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

I have a baby red eared slider who must be 10 days old. His egg tooth just fell of on Friday, and I just bought him a 5.5 gallon tank and a basking area. I still need to get a filter. I have the lamp but the water gets too cold over night. Sometimes when hes sleeping under the tank I get scared that hes dead. This morning he was just chilling there under the water not moving at all and floating but he was fine....I hope he remains ok....im just afraid because he is young.

How do turtles die? do they float upside down?

http://img232.images...dsc05537yb5.jpg

Edited by Scapey Scapes, 15 September 2008 - 10:58 AM.

#2 iyagalaze

iyagalaze

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

Oh, he's so young! When turtles die, they float on the water, don't move, hands, legs, head out the shell. This is what I know, hope helpful.

#3 Keight

Keight

Normal Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

Aww... you should go get your turtle a water heater. Turtles tanks should be kept around 75-86 degrees F.

#4 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

Above ALL, you need to get a submersible water heater as Keight recommended. For your baby hatchling the water must be heated to 80F. The warm water gets his immune system running at peak and gets him to eat and be able to digest his food. Without warm water and food as starters your turtle will become sick.

A filter isn't as important just change the water every other day until you get one. The lamp that you have isn't suppose to heat the water, it's purpose is to heat the basking dock to 88-90F. In addition to the heat lamp an UVB light is also recommended for good health. Don't wait to get a water heater, it's very important. Hope your little guy is feeling better some.

#5 Scapey Scapes

Scapey Scapes

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

hey all, thanks for the responses. I just went and bought him a heating lamp with a 50 watt UVB lamp and ive placed it directly ontop of the basking area. He looks happy now! before i just had a regular lamp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users