• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kinar

Kinar

Normal Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

This will be a guide on how to make an above tank basking area for your beloved turtle so s/he will have more water in the tank to swim
Posted Image

Materials:

pencil
washable marker
1x Sheet Plexiglas
1x small sheet of 1/4-1/2 sheet of wood
Some screws
Box cutter or Plexiglas cutter
Saw or jig saw
Straight edge, use as a guide
aquarium safe cawing

Step 1: Measuring the length of the side of your tank, make sure you measure from the inside lip of the tank otherwise you will be doing some trimming later
Posted Image

Step 2: Measure the length of your turtle Shell

Take a ruler and measure from 1 end of the shell to the other end, head side to tail size. Ignore head and tail lengths, just do the shell

Step 3: Cutting the Wood, now that you have the width of the platform and the height of the walls(little longer then the size of the shell of your turtle ex, i have a 4 1/2 turtle, i made the walls 5 1/2 tall)

Now comes the tricky part, this part will vary depending on the thickness of the wood and plexigls you chose to go with,

what you need to do is find out how wide your piece of wood is and the thickness of the plexiglas,

example. my tank is 12inches across and im using a 1/2inch wood and 1/4 plexiglas so me final measurement will be 12inch minus 1/2inch minus 1/4inch coming up with a final measurement of 11 1/4inchs,

once you find out what your measurements are cut out a rectangle

example, mine would be 11 1/4 x 5 1/2

cut two pieces of that size, those will be your back and side

optional: take one of the two rectangle pieces you just cut and make a diagonal cut into it, i think it makes the basking area look a little better

Step 4: Cutting your front Piece out of plexiglas (warning this will take some time)

easiest way is to take the piece that you are using as your back piece and trace it onto the plexiglas with the washable marker

lay down the straight edge as a guide you can used a box cutter or a plexiglas cutter for this part, trace one edge slowly and lightly at first and as you go add a little more pressure with each passing of the blade and when your deep enough move the straight edge out of the way and just keep running the blade over and over the same place till you cut through, when you do that repeat the step again on a different side till all the sides are all cut.

Posted Image
Plexiglas cutter

Step 5: Now the last piece to cut out is the bottom piece that your turtle will be sitting on to bask

measurements are the width of the tank and as long as your turtle is plus 2-4inches, follow the same steps as used in 4 to cut

little confused? here is a visual of what you should have right now, should have 4 pieces two out of wood and two made from plexiglas

Posted Image

Next Step is to predrill the holes for the screws, practice on a scrap piece of plexiglass to get used to drilling hols into it, when you got the hang of it drill the holes
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
use these kind of screws so you dont stress out the plastic and crack it, now assemble the basking area for either side of the tank

If you did the cutout with the ramp leading up to it, tank a heat source (i used a lighter) and heat up the spot you want to bend slowly move the heat source from one side to another making sure you dont light the plastic on fire, if you do blow it out wait a sec then try again, dont force the plastic that will only crack/break it and you will have to cut another piece out

Any Questions Post Them

Edited by Kinar, 16 December 2008 - 10:00 PM.

#2 sevenoaks

sevenoaks

• Members Plus
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

thanks for this, it is a great help...

#3 Kinar

Kinar

Normal Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

not complete yet, only about 1/2 done, all the cutting is done just the assembly left

#4 Brian H

Brian H

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

how does the fasteners work?

#5 Kinar

Kinar

Normal Member

• Members
  • 104 posts