• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 skanter

skanter

• Members Standard
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 08:38 PM

Posted - 30 Jun 2003 : 18:18:44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>I found a great tank at a pet store. It is actually called a "Turtle Tank." It was hidden in a small pet store by my house (I had to ask about a tank that would be good for a turtle). It has an opening on the side so that you can fit a filter in and only fill the tank halfway. There is a removable piece that covers the rest of the side once the filter is installed. I have some rocks set up on the side to allow for basking. My turtle loves his tank.
Also, I take my turtle out to feed it in a separate container. When I need to clean the water, about once a month, I use a siphon and a bucket. The tank was only about $125 since they were trying to get rid of it! <<

I hope that's not the 20 gallon long tank made by All Glass Aquariums. List price is about $40 USD.

I just bought one in Petland Discounts in NYC for $37. Put a Whisper filter in the side slot, and had a powerful Head 802 submersible head motor on which I put an Aquaclear quick filter for powerheads. It is so pwerful it makes the Whisper filter superflous.

Looking for a small turtle to put in there when I get basking rocks, temps set up.

Any suggestions? I'll upgrade to a larger tank if the turtle outgrows the 20G...

#22 I Am Weasel

I Am Weasel

Normal Member

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:45 AM

Melk, keep us posted! I'm looking forward to seeing your setup.

#23 amez

amez

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:00 PM

I am weasel, i luv ur tank! I wish i could make it like that!

#24 qtbaby

qtbaby

Starting Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 01:30 PM

true! you have a fabulous setting for your RES...WOULD you PLEASE tell me how to set up a tank like that? (With the two layers and a waterfall?) I've been looking and searching online...but I don't know what to look for...I found some tank dividers, but none like the one you have dividing your tank beautifully....[|)]

#25 I Am Weasel

I Am Weasel

Normal Member

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:10 AM

Check out the previous page of this post. BTW..... I don't like my setup and am considering buying a 125 gal setup. Browsed the PetSmart today and just stood there for 20 solid minutes wondering what I could do with it. The thing is nearly 6 ft long (maybe 5), and not TOO deep or anything. One thing I want on a new setup is a way for the waterfall to be used as a sorta basking area... then flowing into the water, so I could accomodate frogs and then on the other end some lizards. The ultimate herp setup, so cool it'd be! [icon_smile.gif Anyways... hopefully I'll have a way to set it up, cause I don't know if I have the room for it here.

In case you are wondering about the "ground" area, it's seldom used. I do have a squidward and a SpongeBob figurene set up on the upper ground and came home one day and they were both knocked over. But I have never caught the turtles exploring the waterfall area. Usually I come in and they are basking on the rocks under the sunlamp and just jump into the water. My bigger RES's nose infection cleared up, and the smaller one is growing like a 6 month old puppy. Soo.. I think things are doing well. [icon_smile_big.gif

#26 east177

east177

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:31 PM

Hi all, I've been reading your posts for the first time and was wondering if anyone could give me some input. My little guy is about 6 inches long. The problem is he's in a 36 gal tank which is very difficult for me to clean. I was thinking of buying two "turtle tanks" (the ones with the openings on the side) and using one as a dry area and filling the other with water and plants as the swim area. I would then put them up against each other with the openings facing each other and build some sort of bridge so he can get back and forth. My husband doesn't like the idea - he thinks the little guy will get stuck on one side. I know everyone says using a good filter will resolve cleaning issues, but I've been through so many filters I think I've tried everything on the market. With this idea I figure I could just easily dump the water whenever necessary and then refill and reattach. I would get like a 10 or 20 gal for the water side. Any suggestions?

#27 PKohler

PKohler

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:11 AM

buy an XP3 or a magnum and if you're unhapy with them, build your own canister filter.

some of my turtles share two 55 gallon tanks. they go up the ramps to their basking platform and, once there, can choose which tank to go down to. so that's effectively 110 gallons of tank space they have to choose from and they seem to love it.

#28 harleydvdsnrules

harleydvdsnrules

Starting Member

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 11:17 PM

Does anyone know how good those Zoo Med basking platforms with the suction cups on the side work? They also have a ledge where it is like a ramp and comes down. I am thinking about getting a couple for my tank but I dont know how good they hold up. I have two RES that are about 8" big and one is a little heavy. I am afraid that if I get them the suction cups wouldnt hold up when they get onto the basking platform, and it would collapse when I'm not home and my turtles will drown. Can my water my about 10" deep and not have to worry about my turtles drowning? Sorry for the dumb questions but I am planning a new turtle tank setup and my water has never been deeper than 6" so I dont know too much about what they can handle for water depths. Thanks for all your help :) *BeTh* (:

#29 gumby

gumby

New User

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 03:49 PM

Hey guy’s,
Below is a link to a pic of Gumby and Mew’s new (3 month old) tank. It is a 135ish Gallon tank, about 6 feet long, 19 inches wide and 2 feet tall. After the New Year I plan on building my own stand for it. I will be using steel for the frame and I will trim it with wood to make it look good. Since my old man is a welder and we have one in our shop, I intend to build it all my self. Not a problem.
But I am considering building and external basking area, the current internal basking area works great, but is ugly and very temporary. What I want is a ramp coming out of the water into the basking area which will be off to the side of the aquarium. I want to do this so they will have maximum swimming area. Obviously the external basking area will be fully enclosed / protected around the sides so there is no chance of them falling out. It seems like a good idea to me, and should be easy to implement. But I wouldn’t mind seeing or hearing if it has been done before? And some pro’s or con’s to doing this.
I will probably put something in the water so they can stand and poke there heads out easily, or something they can hold on to with out any effort (just so you know they wont be stuck swimming ever where…lol).
Any links to suggestions would be much appreciated…
Thanks,
Aaron, Gumby and Mew!

http://community.web...security=rIdzYh

#30 jbbrzezi

jbbrzezi

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:20 Long tank. Fluval 304 filter. Self-ballasted Mercury Vapor UV bulb.

Posted 09 December 2003 - 05:24 PM

Here is my over-the-tank basking area

http://www.turtletim...?TOPIC_ID=12468

A picture of l8or_g8or's canopy is here:

http://www.turtletim...?TOPIC_ID=12736

And some pics of ETURTLE's canopy (who I copied my first over-the-tank canopy from) can be seen here:

http://photos.yahoo....w=t&.done=http%

#31 latazyo

latazyo

Starting Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:45 AM

Posted Image

this is in my living room, cost about 200 bucks, all DIY

#32 ssgal

ssgal

Normal Member

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 06:26 PM

How do you keep your turts from falling off the edge?

#33 latazyo

latazyo

Starting Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 07:29 PM

in the place of that flowerpot, there now sits a candle, that is the only place they can get out

#34 Turtlelover86

Turtlelover86

Normal Member

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:New to TURTLES!!! Need HELP!!!
    Feel pity for those baby turtles...They are easy dying n a lot people play them to dead. Grrr...

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:11 AM

Nice lito two ponds :) really nice.

#35 I Am Weasel

I Am Weasel

Normal Member

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:01 PM

latazyo, awesome setup! I'm completely wowed! I have since removed the land from my setup and have a piece of plexiglass dipping into the water from the top of the tank for a basking spot. Since then, my turts have come out to bask and eagerly "jump" off the tank. 4 ft later I hear a thud on the carpet and I know that they got out. If I wait, I'll be sitting in the living room when all the sudden this stupid turtle comes around the back of the couch and just looks around. I think the openness is something they really like to have, and something you give a lot of to yours. I'm going to reconsider a new setup now. btw, are your filters under the cabinet? or just the above water?

#36 Avi

Avi

Addicted Member

• Retired Moderators
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:15 AM

Latazyo - that is a great setup.

#37 tvu5007

tvu5007

Starting Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:25 PM

that is turtle heaven right there I AM WEASAL.

#38 YBS-Brandon

YBS-Brandon

Starting Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

You can silicone in plexy-glass into any tank and make the land area any size you want. Like what was said before use you imagination. One quick tip, when cutting the plexi-glass use a circular saw. It makes for a nicer cut. Also instead of using aquarium sealent, you can use 100% silicone that you can buy much cheaper at a hardware store. Just make sure it is 100% with no quick drying additives. If there not listed on the tube they aren't in it. If you just seal the plexi in place lay a bead on both sides. It will hold a lot of weight. I have two bricks resting on top on my Sun-deck.

#39 Sliderfan

Sliderfan

Phil and Lil, my twin shelled critters

• Members Plus
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, sailing, boating, snowboarding, playing classical music, teaching music, and of course......TURTLES!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:07 PM

Does anyone know how good those Zoo Med basking platforms with the suction cups on the side work? They also have a ledge where it is like a ramp and comes down. I am thinking about getting a couple for my tank but I dont know how good they hold up. I have two RES that are about 8" big and one is a little heavy. I am afraid that if I get them the suction cups wouldnt hold up when they get onto the basking platform, and it would collapse when I'm not home and my turtles will drown. Can my water my about 10" deep and not have to worry about my turtles drowning? Sorry for the dumb questions but I am planning a new turtle tank setup and my water has never been deeper than 6" so I dont know too much about what they can handle for water depths. Thanks for all your help :) *BeTh* (:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the medium basking platform called the "turtledock." It stays attached to the wall, but the turtles have begun chewing on it! I find little pieces of foam floating in the tank sometimes. It supports two basking turtles quite well. My water is 15" deep and I've never even worried about them drowning. Under 10" could be a problem if they wind up on their backs.

#40 TitusvilleSurfer

TitusvilleSurfer

Normal Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

Turtle docks are great but as my 35 gallon hexagon tank is about to be upgraded, I need to purchase a bigger one. I just finished re-sealing my new 55 gallon tank I picked up at a garage sale for $10. This will be the new turtle tank. I have a brand new 75 gallon coming in next week for my salt water friends! :D

Edited by TitusvilleSurfer, 06 February 2007 - 09:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users