BEST filter for a 90 gallon tank?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 love_turtles2

love_turtles2

New User

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:I graduate from The University of Toledo this may and will have my B.S. in Recreational Therapy. I enjoy helping others and seeing them benefit from therapy is the biggest reward for me. I love listening to christian music and attending my church. I enjoy spending time with my family and my friends. I enjoy reading, watching movies, and rollerblading. I love to interior decorate and I am somewhat of a neat freak. And of course, I love turtles. I collect anything turtle and hope to have a "turtle room" one day.

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Hey everyone,

I am soon updating my turtles to a 90 gallon tank. I am not sure which filter would be best for a 90 gallon tank. I have read about different filters such as the Aquaclear 110 or 500, Fluval 405, Filstar, Magnum, Eheim 2028 and 2229 (wet/dry) and I am just not sure which one who suit my turtles best. And I am somewhat confused on the what exactly a canister filter is...and how it works with draining water and making a hole in the tank? I am willing to clean their tank more as well, put more effort into a filter... but price wise, which is worth the price? And which is easier to maintain? :)

#2 allison finch

allison finch

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Police Sgt/firearms instructor. I travel to scuba dive and do underwater photography. Studied herpetology in college and do turtle rehabbing.

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

I would get the biggest filter you can afford.
A cannister filter is one that sits outside and below you tank. It uses gravity to create a syphon to help the water run through the filter. A filter that uses a "drilled" fitting is usually a sump type filter. I have never used one of those. The sump filters are most commonly seen in salt water tanks.

#3 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hi welcome to TT, glad you came aboard.

My preference is the Filstar XP3, it can handle up to 100 gallons of water pretty well. A canister filter sets below the tank usually inside a cabinet. It has an inlet and outlet hoses that run from the filter to the tank. It looks like this.
http://i11.photobuck...x600436x600.jpg

Here is what the filter looks like.
http://i11.photobuck.../lg_9073381.jpg

Prices range all over the place but here is a pretty good one. Sale price $129.95. You will need to buy some bio-media like lava rock or ceramic rings that don't come with the filter.
http://www.animalwor...phfixpcafi.html

#4 SliderAngels

SliderAngels

• Members Plus
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Turtle Breeding, Meeting turtle owners, Atlanta Braves Baseball, Having fun, 'Recent' Old School Videogames (PS2), and most of all, God the father, the son, and the holy spirit

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Claws knows Filters. I was going to get an XP3 also for my 75 Gallon but it's too expensive. Gosh if only I can somehow get hired in a good paying job with this economy.

Claws if you're don't know. To update you I have 2 Fluval 3 Plus filters in my 75 Gallon tank now. This will be temporary though until I get enough money to get at least an XP2.

Edited by SliderAngels, 10 January 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#5 love_turtles2

love_turtles2

New User

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:I graduate from The University of Toledo this may and will have my B.S. in Recreational Therapy. I enjoy helping others and seeing them benefit from therapy is the biggest reward for me. I love listening to christian music and attending my church. I enjoy spending time with my family and my friends. I enjoy reading, watching movies, and rollerblading. I love to interior decorate and I am somewhat of a neat freak. And of course, I love turtles. I collect anything turtle and hope to have a "turtle room" one day.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I will try the Filstar filter. I have been doing some research on different filter types and spending that much money seems worth it for a 90 gallon tank. So the filter sits outside and below the tank. So no drilling holes in the tank? It uses gravity..ok. Well Thank you everyone, hope I get that tank soon along with the filter so I can update with how it works. :)

#6 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I will try the Filstar filter. I have been doing some research on different filter types and spending that much money seems worth it for a 90 gallon tank. So the filter sits outside and below the tank. So no drilling holes in the tank? It uses gravity..ok. Well Thank you everyone, hope I get that tank soon along with the filter so I can update with how it works. :)

* Yes, the filter sits outside and below the tank usually in a cabinet the tank sets on.
* Yes, no drilling holes in the tank.
* Yes, it does use gravity(siphon effect) to auto fill the canister filter. First you must fill the inlet hose with water. The method works well with fish tanks where the water is near the top of the tank. With turtles, in most installations except the use of above tank basking areas where the water is near the top, turtle setups have the water only half full. In this case the filter canister needs to get fill with water before it can start to operate. If it isn't filled with water first, the inlet hose water column will collapse and the canister won't fill automatically. If you have a problem getting it started (this is with all canister filters not just with the XP3) we can help ya. ;)

#7 Engagechad

Engagechad

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Science, Herps, Atheism, Metal, Bodybuilding, Coffee, Beer Advocacy

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

Would an FX5 be overkill for a 75 gal or 90 gal?

I was saving up for one for when we move our turts to our 75 gal tank eventually

#8 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

Would an FX5 be overkill for a 75 gal or 90 gal?

I was saving up for one for when we move our turts to our 75 gal tank eventually

The Fluval FX5 put out about three time more than the Filstar XP3. The FX5 can be throttled back so it won't blow the turtle out of the tank. The FX5 has one discharge but twin discharge nozzles so that helps tame the thrust somewhat.

#9 Engagechad

Engagechad

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Science, Herps, Atheism, Metal, Bodybuilding, Coffee, Beer Advocacy

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:38 AM

The Fluval FX5 put out about three time more than the Filstar XP3. The FX5 can be throttled back so it won't blow the turtle out of the tank. The FX5 has one discharge but twin discharge nozzles so that helps tame the thrust somewhat.

Ah okay cool, I think i'm going to need something heavy duty like that because have my three turts in one tank and that equals a lot of poo to filter.. haha

#10 The_Flash

The_Flash

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

I'm moving to a 125 gallon tank in about a month. I'm torn between the Fluval FX5 and the Filstar XP4. I've been using Fluvals for a while now and am pretty happy with the results, so I'm leaning toward the FX5. Anyone have any experience with both?

#11 SliderAngels

SliderAngels

• Members Plus
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Turtle Breeding, Meeting turtle owners, Atlanta Braves Baseball, Having fun, 'Recent' Old School Videogames (PS2), and most of all, God the father, the son, and the holy spirit

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

Gosh Flash, I am jealous. I wish i could get another big tank. But i did upgrade recently. I upgraded from a 40 to a 75 in October for an early X-mas present. Because the 40 Gallon was leaking I had to get another tank. Luckily no damage was done from the leak. I needed a 75 gallon big time though anyway.

Wish the best for your 125 Gallon. By the way... Does anyone know what the dimensions are for the 125 Gallon.

#12 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

Wish the best for your 125 Gallon. By the way... Does anyone know what the dimensions are for the 125 Gallon.

125 gallon tank should be around 72-7/8"L x 19"W x 23-5/8"H (outside dimensions).

#13 The_Flash

The_Flash

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

Mines going to be 72x18x22

I am getting the Perfecto, model #211940

#14 SliderAngels

SliderAngels

• Members Plus
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Wow Perfecto. Are you getting it at Petland? At my local petland store they are the one of two of the only stores, in my area that sells Perfecto tanks.

Perfecto i think is a very luxorious tank brand. Oh and Claws, thanks for the dimensions.

Edited by SliderAngels, 03 February 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#15 The_Flash

The_Flash

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

No, that list is for "That Pet Place" in Lancaster, PA. I'm going to pick it up at the store. I live in Harrisburg which is only about 35min away.

#16 Rubicon

Rubicon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

No, that list is for "That Pet Place" in Lancaster, PA. I'm going to pick it up at the store. I live in Harrisburg which is only about 35min away.

I'd get the FX5. I've had nothing but great luck with fluval filters. I'm using a Fluval 404 on my 55 gallon (2 3" RES) and am adding a FX5 to my 75gal w/ a 6" painted female. Just make sure which ever you get you put at least one try of biomax in there.

#17 demonsnapper

demonsnapper

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Warhammer 40k. and animals.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

im got a fluval 405 is that over kill for a tank around 40gallons? I was going to get the FX5! but i saw a cheap Fluval 405 on ebay so had to have it

#18 Rubicon

Rubicon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

im got a fluval 405 is that over kill for a tank around 40gallons? I was going to get the FX5! but i saw a cheap Fluval 405 on ebay so had to have it

Thats fine. IMO a FX5 on a 40 gallon would be scary over kill. I mean some people say FX5's are overkill on 55gal.

What kind of media do you have in your 405?

Mine conisists of:

Top of unit:
Biomax
Biomax
Polishing pads
Ceramic Rings
Bottom of unit:

#19 demonsnapper

demonsnapper

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Warhammer 40k. and animals.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

Thats fine. IMO a FX5 on a 40 gallon would be scary over kill. I mean some people say FX5's are overkill on 55gal.

What kind of media do you have in your 405?

Mine conisists of:

Top of unit:
Biomax
Biomax
Polishing pads
Ceramic Rings
Bottom of unit:

LOL! i was about to ask what people found best inside them Media wise. as iv just now got the filter and havnt set it up yet.
with the Biomax how much do you add in to each layer? as iv got my self a 500g box just now would this do both units?

Edited by demonsnapper, 09 February 2009 - 04:44 PM.

#20 The_Flash

The_Flash

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:49 PM

Snatched an FX5 off of eBay for $199.95 shipped, seemed like a decent price. Especially considering that it was $339 on sale at the local pet store. Hopefully it isn't too much of a hassle to get it up and running. I'm assuming I can just dump my biomax from my Fluval 405 into the FX5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users