Cache Valley Bee Removal

Jump to content


whats a protein skimmer?

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 turtle turtle

turtle turtle

    Starting Member

  • Members Standard
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

i want to know waht a protein skimmer is and do i need it for my turtle tank? and does a uvb light bounc off the water? or will my turtle still get uvb rays when he is under water? also waht is a overflow box? and do you need one

Edited by turtle turtle, 09 January 2009 - 08:25 PM.



    The "Filter Man"

  • Members Plus
  • 6,506 posts
  • Age: 79
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northwest Indiana, USA
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

Protein skimmers can be quit expensive. They remove the protein buildup that collects on the surface. It's not necessary to have one, a simple surface agitator will do the same thing, say bye bye to surface scum. Here is what you can use in your tank. http://www.bigalsonl...llpowerhead1212

Yes UVB doesn't penetrate the water much. The UVB light should be place directly over the basking dock. Heat is also necessary for the proper use of the benefits of UVB.

One of the easiest and simplest setups is the canister filter. It sets below the tank cabinet with two hoses to the tank. An overflow box is not required.

#3 Dale D

Dale D

    Normal Member

  • Members Standard
  • 174 posts
  • Age: 55
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chilliwack, British Columbia.
  • Interests:Turtles, Frogs, Terrariums, Vivariums, Planted Tanks, Evolution.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

A protein skimmer or foam fractionator is used on Saltwater systems and some people use them on Koi ponds as well.
They don't really work with freshwater tanks because of the difference in density between salt and fresh water.
A surface skimmer or overflow box is used to remove the oily film and protein rich surface layer of water from a tank.
They are usually used with a sump system, although Fluval and Ehiem make ones to fit onto the inlet of a canister filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users